Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2006, 14:41   #1
BHPian

Utility of sun roof ???

hey guys,
I was just curious to know about the actual utility of sun roofs apart from the cosmetic point of view.
Old 1st November 2006, 16:12   #2
BHPian

i think by installing it you will have good ventilation of air in your car..
Old 1st November 2006, 17:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

In india they have only cosmetic use, unless its spring or autumn and not dust
In places like Europe/US where climate is good and dust is very less, they let in fresh air in the car. Also they allow sunlight in winters without letting in cold chilly winds.
Old 1st November 2006, 17:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It loks cool and is very good in case you like smoking in your car.
Seriously, it gets rid of the foul odour.

Also if you are like me and love the Sun... in truth most Indians dont like the sun. (The sun makes me feel warm, secure, protected, loved and a bit horny)

Anyways, if you like the sun, and like driving and feeling the wind and atmosphere while driving, it's super-duper.
If you put it to look cool and so your kids can stand on the seat and stick their snotty nuts out of the car, then that's just stupid.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2006, 17:57   #5
BHPian

I think with the recently reported incidents of deaths in the closed / locked car, the sun roof can come handy to let fresh air in. However, this is subject to this being a manual sunroof, else, like the doors and widows, this also may get locked.
Old 1st November 2006, 19:09   #6
BHPian

How about this hypothesis:
In summers, when the car becomes extremely hot as a result of being parked in direct-sun: Instead of letting the hot air out by keeping the windows open, you can use the sunroof. Hot air being lighter, will escape quickly through the top when compared to the windows. And, your a/c will bring you back to sane temperatures sooner......What say??

Cheers!
Su-47
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2006, 19:59   #7
BHPian

2 points

Well was against Sun roofs until I read 2 major points
1) By SAM - For a smoker - that is something I could definitely definitely use

2) By SU - To dissipate heat, I'm from Hyderabad and man is it difficult to get into your car during 8~9 months in a year
Old 1st November 2006, 19:59   #8
BHPian

thanks guys!!!!
very insightful.
Old 1st November 2006, 21:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
In india they have only cosmetic use, unless its spring or autumn and not dust
Totally agree. Once I kept it opened for half hour....had to spend one hour to vacuum clean inside.
Old 1st November 2006, 22:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sun Roof & Security

My 2 cents and just a case in point. My friend got fitted a sun roof on his Honda Accord 2.4 iTEC (old model) about 2 years back. While on a visit to Hissar on business someone opened the sun roof to get in, removed the stereo, his IBM laptop and a Casio Exilim camera.

How did he open the electronically operated sun roof? What the police deduced was that he used a device used by glass pane installers that is a handle with big suction cups that vaccums to the big glass panes that have to be lowered into their slot. The vaccuming is so powerful that once stuck to the glass one can hang from it without the fear of it coming unstuck.

The police theory was that by using that device he forcefully slid open the sun roof and lowered himself in the car, removed the objects, came out the same way and then slid back the roof, thus doing it without any signs of break-in...!!!
Old 1st November 2006, 22:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
The police theory was that by using that device he forcefully slid open the sun roof and lowered himself in the car, removed the objects, came out the same way and then slid back the roof, thus doing it without any signs of break-in...!!!
Is that sun-roof from WEBASTO? Isn't there a roof shutter below the glass? If it's there then that shutter should be having a lock. One needs to break it/smash it to get inside.

You mean to say that glass can come out with it's rubber frame mount? Without creating any damage?
Old 1st November 2006, 22:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecase_01
hey guys,
I was just curious to know about the actual utility of sun roofs apart from the cosmetic point of view.
To ensure guano from above has a point-of-entry on top of the occupants' heads

That apart, in India, not practical at all. Abroad, since they hardly get any warm weather, they'd like to optimize whenever its cheerful out there.

Last edited by theMAG : 1st November 2006 at 22:23.
Old 2nd November 2006, 00:46   #13
BHPian

gonecase,

If u would have done a search, u would have found ur answers...

please check this link...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...f-scorpio.html

hope this helps.
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

True thing. It makes so much of a difference when you have a sunroof/moonroof. Driving around in Fall/ Spring is such a pleasure. My earlier car didn't have 1,and I used to envy my friend's car so much!! It also helps in cooling down the insides of the car, given that Houston has temperatures close to 105F/ 40 deg C.
I've also heard that in many cases, the occupants of a car involved in an accident, were able to escape through the sunroof.
Old 3rd November 2006, 14:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
If you put it to look cool and so your kids can stand on the seat and stick their snotty nuts out of the car, then that's just stupid.
Hey Sam, I had a sunroof on my old Safari and I had it for all the right reasons too. However my son loved to put his head out when I went to the hill stations and at night. That doesn't make him snooty I hope!

Last edited by jyobeb : 3rd November 2006 at 14:58.

Most Viewed