Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2012, 15:57   #61
BHPian

Re: Fire Extinguisher in a car

Finally purchased a fire extinguisher for my Ritz. Its called Fire-stop, probably Russian made (manufacturing information in Russian) and proclaims 'Italy Formula'. the website tells me the company is from NSW, AU. A yellow plastic clamp came with the spray-bottle, looking for suggestion how to mount it. I purchased it from Favara Car Accessories, Brookefield, Bangalore @ Rs. 250/-. Interested T-BHPians may call the shop @ 080-41527077
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Extinguisher in a car-imag0369_rs800.jpg  

Old 4th November 2012, 17:32   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Finally purchased a fire extinguisher for my Ritz. Its called Fire-stop,
Some months ago both my Dad and I bought the same Fire extinguisher for our cars. His is mounted nicely on the A pillar near the passenger seat.
Mine rests in one of the door pockets because I cannot bring myself to drill holes in my Yeti...
Old 17th January 2013, 12:59   #63

Quote:
Finally purchased a fire extinguisher for my Ritz. Its called Fire-stop, probably Russian made (manufacturing information in Russian) and proclaims 'Italy Formula'. the website tells me the company is from NSW, AU. A yellow plastic clamp came with the spray-bottle, looking for suggestion how to mount it. I purchased it from Favara Car Accessories, Brookefield, Bangalore @ Rs. 250/-. Interested T-BHPians may call the shop @ 080-41527077
Today i ordered one via ebay http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_5956wt_906 Its INR 195/- with free shipping

JC
Old 1st January 2014, 19:00   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally purchased a fire extinguisher for my Ritz. Its called Fire-stop ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Some months ago both my Dad and I bought the same Fire extinguisher for our cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4CAR View Post
Today i ordered one via ebay....
While looking for a fire extinguisher, I also came across the same product. What is stopping me is how to ascertain if the thing will work as expected when needed the most? I mean what made you guys go for it and not anything else
Old 21st June 2014, 21:43   #65
Team-BHP Support

Got hold of a proper dry powder fire extinguisher today evening. Cost me Rs. 950 for a 1 kg cylinder. The 2 kg cylinder was priced at Rs. 1350 - the size wasn't compact and couldn't be accommodated inside the car so opted for the 1 kg cylinder. It has a proper pressure gauge as well and the lady suggested refilling after an year if the extinguisher has not been used. They have stuck a sticker as well mentioning the dates.

Fire Extinguisher in a car-wp_20140621_20_28_07_pro.jpg

Fire Extinguisher in a car-wp_20140621_20_28_22_pro.jpg

Fire Extinguisher in a car-wp_20140621_20_28_32_pro.jpg

Fire Extinguisher in a car-wp_20140621_20_28_51_pro.jpg

I need to get hold of velcro based bands so the extinguisher can be tied below the passenger/driver seat. There are some frames beneath the seat and the extinguisher can be secured here. It will be easier for access as well in case of an emergency. The straps would be available with guys who stitch bags and such.

Fire Extinguisher in a car-38400mmadjustableelasticvelcrofontbbandbfontwithplasticbuklehookandloop.jpg

All in all a good deal.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 22:00   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
All in all a good deal.
I'm afraid I cannot agree!
A dry powder extinguisher used a Carbon Dioxide cartridge which ought to go for five years without requiring a refill. This is obviously a poorly made product.
Old 21st June 2014, 23:36   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'm afraid I cannot agree!
A dry powder extinguisher used a Carbon Dioxide cartridge which ought to go for five years without requiring a refill. This is obviously a poorly made product.
I wouldn't call it a 'poorly made product' unless I get a chance to use it during an emergency and it fails to douse a fire. I would be inclined to believe that this is a better fire extinguisher than the 100-200 Rs. Fire Stop can which retails on eBay and other e-commerce portals.
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Any one can throw light on what TYPE or fire extinguisher is best for a car, foam or powder. I have a powder type, 1 kg one which fits cleanly into the Mhwak door, place made to fit water bottles.

I remember powder is best as it covers A, B, C types of fires and others types are not ideal.

I've experience with 3 car burns. One on my old Diesel Amby, jugad wiring for headlight lamps shorted, fortunately, went out by itself, fuse had blown by that time. Another a sumo taxi with full load of passenger, was burning, ppl opened the bonnet, put mud/sand from road side and killed fire, looked like an electrical fire. 3rd one an Accent got charred in 30mts on NH47 while we were watching, looked like an electrical fire from inside the dash which spread, passengers escaped. In all the 3 incidents, nobody thought of or brought out a fire extinguisher, could have saved the Accent.

Learning: An automobile fire can happen when you least expect it, having an extinguisher handy can save lives and people.

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd July 2014 at 14:35.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 14:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Any one can throw light on what TYPE or fire extinguisher is best for a car, foam or powder. I have a powder type, 1 kg one which fits cleanly into the Mhwak door, place made to fit water bottles.

I remember powder is best as it covers A, B, C types of fires and others types are not ideal.
Learning: An automobile fire can happen when you least expect it, having an extinguisher handy can save lives and people.

--Ramky
=====
Thinking of buying a ceasefire, but confused about whether to buy the Powder one or the clean gas type, which does not leave any residue.
https://www.ceasefire.in/car-fire-extinguishers

Please advise.

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:05   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Team,

I am looking for 3 fire extinguishers. Each for my car, our building basement and for my home. Getting some good deals on 'Nitin fire extinguishers'. How good & reliable is this manufacturer? Another is Supremex. Any views on either of them?

Thanks!
Old 20th May 2015, 16:31   #71
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at Eureka Forbes fire extinguishers. They are on the expensive side but claim a shelf life of 20 years. Anyone having experience with these?
Old 20th May 2015, 17:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am looking at Eureka Forbes fire extinguishers. They are on the expensive side but claim a shelf life of 20 years. Anyone having experience with these?
This product sounds incredibly good; too good to be true. And THAT is precisely why I have stayed away from it. You can search all you want, on line, and you'll get near ZERO information about it.
As a RULE fire extinguishers must state what fire fighting/extinguishing material they use.
If this product is so widely certified why is it that NOT ONE certifying laboratory's name is given?
They claim it is a non-pressurized device. Then what is it that propels the medium out? And yet their videos show the medium coming out with some force while being discharged. Defies the laws of Physics!

Worth noting that they've been trying to sell this product for many years and yet I do not see it in widespread use. I wonder whether it is even approved by our fire departments.
Old 11th September 2015, 16:45   #73
BHPian

There has been an increasing number of fire related incidents in cars. Team BHP has recommended Fire Extinguisher as an important accessory in cars. I would appreciate any recommendations in terms of brand,size,type regarding the same.
Old 11th September 2015, 21:29   #74
BHPian

Bumping this very important topic again.

I am in search of a fire extinguisher for my Swift, which can be kept inside the driver doorpad (in the 1L bottle area). I don't have worries regarding the rattles than may be caused as I will cover the edges with foam. There are many brands online but I can't trust them as all of them look alike. I will buy it offline but requesting suggestions for a safe genuine brand upto 1000 bucks.

Also, is there a way I can check if its working, by using a little bit safely? Or does it get over at one go?
Old 26th September 2015, 09:25   #75
BHPian

Gentle Reminder to Gurus !!! Would appreciate suggestions related to purchasing a fire extinguisher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks