Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2015, 09:55   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fire Extinguisher in a car

How much life is there of a fire extinguisher costing Rs. 150/200? An year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Mine rests in one of the door pockets because I cannot bring myself to drill holes in my Yeti...
Door pockets bulge & then expand. Not good. I have instead used both side tape & taped it on the floor. You may also tape it on the B-pillar using both side tape/Velcro.
Old 26th September 2015, 12:37   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Door pockets bulge & then expand. Not good. I have instead used both side tape & taped it on the floor. You may also tape it on the B-pillar using both side tape/Velcro.
How can the door pockets expand? If the extinguisher is that heavy, how will the double sided tape hold it on the B Pillar?

- - -

I was thinking of ordering two from ebay.in, retailing for roughly 200 bucks per bottle. As I have heard from users, they will stop (stop from expanding) small fires and are not enough for dousing off big fires. Anyway, something is better than nothing. I enquired at an aftermarket shop and he qouted Rs. 350, though it looks just like the ones on ebay.in. If anyone has ordered the same from ebay.in, please share your thoughts.

I am thinking of placing it on driver side door pocket (i.e. bottle holder) and using foam for the base and corners so that it doesn't rattle.
Old 28th September 2015, 21:45   #78
BHPian

folks, Ceasefire has a purpose built car extinguisher for INR 1950 (500gm). Comes with a mounting clip, pressure gauge and a 5 year shelf life. I have these installed in two of my cars.

Fire Extinguisher in a car-red_500gms_grande.jpg

Quote:
Ceasefire’s ABC extinguishers are built for speed, power and reliability. A simple two-step activation mechanism allows you to fight the fire within seconds. 90% concentration of Mono Ammonium Phosphate maximizes the fire fighting power available to you. And stringent quality control and multiple point testing systems ensure that when you are faced with a fire, these extinguishers will deliver.

The 500 gm powder agent fire extinguishers will ensure that you are fully equipped to fight a Car or Home fire, if there should be one. These extinguishers are easier to use than others because of their lightweight 'point and shoot' design.
More details here.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 00:04   #79
BHPian

Fire Extinguisher in a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
folks, Ceasefire has a purpose built car extinguisher for INR 1950 (500gm). Comes with a mounting clip, pressure gauge and a 5 year shelf life. ].

Could you please share where in the car have you got it installed ? Can this be kept in the bottle holders which normally takes a 1litre water bottle ?
Old 29th September 2015, 08:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Could you please share where in the car have you got it installed ? Can this be kept in the bottle holders which normally takes a 1litre water bottle ?
It will fit in the water bottle cubby hole, but I'm not sure if its a suitable location.
See this Google representative image to get an idea of my installation:

Fire Extinguisher in a car-fire1068975907.jpg
Old 29th September 2015, 09:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
folks, Ceasefire has a purpose built car extinguisher for INR 1950 (500gm). Comes with a mounting clip, pressure gauge and a 5 year shelf life. I have these installed in two of my cars.
Thanks for the information. I would also be going ahead with Ceasefire.
Old 30th September 2015, 08:38   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
How can the door pockets expand? If the extinguisher is that heavy, how will the double sided tape hold it on the B Pillar?
If you keep a big bottle there regularly, the door pocket will expand & appear ugly.

1 liter can can be stuck using tapes. I have stuck mine to the floor.
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:32   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any videos available that explain the use of these? I am thinking of getting one as well. Not so much confident of the ones that are available in local accessory shops. Did you order online or pick it up physically from any distributor/store?
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

Most of the international websites suggest 1kg capacity for cars and up to 2kg capacity for vans and SUVs. 1kg has a discharge time of 6 seconds while 2kg is 10 seconds. Smaller capacity may not be that effective when required. I am unable to decide on which one to buy as there are options ranging from 250 bucks to more than 5000 bucks. Ceasefire is bit expensive for me.
Old 24th March 2017, 20:40   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Alright, so I got one. Ceasefire ABC type, 1 kg. Cost me 4k odd. Bought through their website and in about 48 hours it was in my hand. Seems like their branch office is nearby. The unit is late 2016 manufactured, when I raised this point with them, they assured me its of no consequence as the extinguishers are designed to last for 5+ years and even if not in use, it's better to get one inspected yearly (was trying to sell the service AMC). The pressure needle is within the optimum range (green), so I let it be and didn't pursue it further. All extinguishers in my organisation are also from Ceasefire and I am sure they got a annual AMC, will get hold of the guy if I need any 'service' as such.

In all it weighs about 2kg including the cylinder's weight. A pretty sturdy unit. Now to find a place to mount it. Not going to mount on the A or B-pillar for sure.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 06:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

This seems like a great product: http://www.amazon.in/Eureka-Eurovigi...rbes+fireguard

I bought some a few months ago. No review, of course, since I haven't had occasion to use it and hope I never do.
Old 30th March 2017, 12:04   #87
BHPian

Folks,

Someone I was speaking to said there was a rule to making it compulsory to carry a fire extinguisher in the car (as per the motor vechiles act) but I could not find anything on it. Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 31st March 2017, 06:23   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Someone I was speaking to said there was a rule to making it compulsory to carry a fire extinguisher in the car (as per the motor vechiles act) but I could not find anything on it. Can anyone enlighten me?
Are you saying you'll only buy one if it is mandated by government?
My sincere advice would be to keep one in your car, regardless of the law of the land.
Old 31st March 2017, 06:49   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Are you saying you'll only buy one if it is mandated by government?
My sincere advice would be to keep one in your car, regardless of the law of the land.
That is not what I said. I already got one. But I would really like to know the rules. Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 14:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
..... I already got one. But I would really like to know the rules. Thanks
The rules do not require one, at least not in private vehicles. If they did, manufacturers would have to comply and fit one in each car they sell.

Most Viewed