Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2017, 22:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS

Disclaimer:- I'm in no way attached to the below mentioned company other than the fact that I'm using their product and am happy with it.

I was fascinated when XUV5OO was launched with a system called Tyre Pressure Management System or TPMS. Till then, I was unaware of this gadget. Then i did a few read-outs on net and understood its working. I've been a gizmo freak since long and I want my vehicles to be as per my liking. During the read-ups, I came to know that there are 2 basic types , an internal one and an external one. Internal ones have a clear advantage that they are safe from theft or loss due to some one removing it deliberately. External ones can be removed or get damaged due to a stone hitting it.

My hunt for a proper TPMS started online. I really liked the Blaupunkt one but gave it a miss as it was external and costly. Then I came across the thread by a4anurag http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ng-system.html . In the mean time, we bought a Brezza ZDi+ and the itch for a TPMS started once again. There is a TPMS in MGA also but that was costly and external, plus the dealer was not willing to get it without upfront payment. So ditched that also.

While reading the said thread, I came across 2 posts with mention of Sensairy, an app based TPMS by a startup company, Tymtix https://tymtix.com/#/home. I read a few initial reviews and got in touch with a certain Mr. Prabhu over email. I was somehow in a dilemma regarding it, should I invest into something which is in nascent stage? The same product is also available on Amazon India and sold by them. Then I thought of giving it a try. The MRP is INR 9999/- but there was a discount running so I got it for INR 7500/-

I placed an order for it after exchange of a few emails and order was shipped the same day from Bangalore. I was given all details by evening and the courier reached my town in 2 days but was delivered to me after 4 days as its an unknown courier company (Aramex) here and they gave some lame excuses.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_194725.jpg
Finally, the packet.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th July 2017 at 06:16.
BoneCollector is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 21:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: SensAiry : An app-based TPMS

Contents:-

The packet had 5 valves and 5 sensors in it with a small leaflet clearly explaining everything.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_194735.jpg
Leaflet.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_194743.jpg
5 valves and 5 sensors.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_194753.jpg
The valve with screw at one end to fix the sensor.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_194800.jpg
The sensor with the serial number and the orange button that switches on the sensor following which it pairs with the app.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_194805.jpg
Other side of sensor which has to face the rim/alloy end.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_194814.jpg
The hole in sensor to fix the valve using the screw.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_200642.jpg

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_200647.jpg

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_200702.jpg
The sensor attached to the valve. This was just to check how its done.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_200712.jpg
Valve as seen from filling end. It looks flattened at one side but its reflections playing here.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170603_200904.jpg
Back side of the package with all details.

After I was satisfied with the way it needs to be fixed, I took an appointment at the tyre shop for helping me fix it. I took the car to their shop on a Sunday morning and got them to take out 1 tyre at a time. In the meantime, I had switched on the sensors and paired it to the app. (App can be downloaded from Google Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ymtix.sensairy or App Store for iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sens...4458?ls=1&mt=8.)

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170706_221410.jpg
Firstly you have to create an account and then add a vehicle.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-screenshot_20170706222253.png
Then you have to setup the vehicle. A total of 20 tyres can be paired to a single account. Or you can add 4 vehicles with 5 tyres each or 5 with 4. In my case, its 5 tyres as my spare is also an alloy. They are in process of developing the same tech for bikes but its currently unavailable.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170706_221354.jpg
After pairing the device.

The technician deflated the tyre and cut the old valve. After that he fixed the new valve using tools and then I fixed the sensor. We need to be very sure as to which sensor is going to which tyre.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170611_113428.jpg

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170611_113422.jpg

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170611_113430.jpg

The moment air was pumped into the tyre, the display started showing in psi. During the course of fitting the sensors, I had inadvertently switched off one of the sensors and that was rectified at a later date.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img20170703wa0013.jpg

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-screenshot_20170624112941.png

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-screenshot_20170706220941.png

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-screenshot_20170706220946.png

As one can notice, I'm using 2 separate phones here, one is my old phone with cracked screen which has been put for duty in Brezza. The sensor shows the pressure as well as the temperature inside the tyres. Pressure units can be changed as per your convenience.

After the tyres were inflated to desired pressure, wheel balancing was done. The tyres took a lot of weight due to sensor inside it. It was followed with wheel alignment.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170706_221322.jpg
The data is updated every 15-20 seconds to maybe a minute. Its even synced with a server at Tymtix and gives you a reading of past 30 days.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-img_20170706_221428.jpg
The alarms can also be set to as per your liking as in at what pressure you want the app to inform you.

Points to note:

• You require to switch on your bluetooth as well as location for the sensors to sync with the phone.
  • The phone has to be within a 15 feet range of the wheels to read values.
  • Incase of flat tyre, once you put the spare tyre in its place, all you got to do is drag and drop the spare wheel at the desired location on the app.
  • The sensors are fitted with irreplaceable batteries, the life of which are about 5 years as per the company. After that, we need new sensors which as per them would be available at a cheaper rate to previous customers.
  • If any valve gets damaged, you can purchase it from their website.
  • The product has a warranty of 1 year and if any issue with sensor arises, they'll either change it or fix it.
  • The people are very helpful and always available on call.

I did a 1100 km trip after fixing these and they were of great help. I was able to see that the tyre temperature on Lucknow-Agra expressway hovered around 48-49 deg C but climbed to 54-55 deg C on Yamuna Expressway (concrete). Sadly I don't have screenshot of both runs to compare. Overall, I'm liking it. Its a very practical thing to have in your car, especially if its a highway cruiser. I wonder why car manufacturers can't give this as an OEM fitment?

This product gets a from me.

There might be few things that I would have missed. I request other users of Sensairy to update here.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th July 2017 at 06:18.
BoneCollector is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 09:39   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Mods Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 10:18   #4
BHPian

Hey BoneCollector,
That's a good find and equally interesting to read. Even I'm looking for the TPMS but not able to finalize on anything yet.
Just wanted to know, what would be the threshold temperature one has to look for or I should ask what is the maximum temperature our tires can easily bear.
Since all tyres come with different recommended psi levels from the manufacturer. So the threshold limit of temperature would be different for all or is it irrespective of the psi level and depends more on the specifications/make of the tyres.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 10:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Just wanted to know, what would be the threshold temperature one has to look for or I should ask what is the maximum temperature our tires can easily bear.
Thanks. I'm not sure about temperatures or pressure that a tyre can hold but as far as the sensors are concerned, they have a pressure range of 0-100psi and temperature range of -40℃ to +105℃. The tyre gurus would be of more help in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post

I have a question: Is the bluetooth connection persistent? Will my phone's BT be free to connect with the car for media and other things, or will it be fully occupied by SensAiry?
The Bluetooth connection to the sensors doesn't interfere with the connection to car media. You can make/ receive calls, play music etc.

The push notifications you have answered yourself. For a person to receive push notifications beyond 15 feet, something to relay the pressures would be required. Then that would increase the costs.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th July 2017 at 10:46.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 10:32   #6
BHPian

This is a far more practical, and neat way of doing things. It has obvious advantages too. One, if I don't start my car for a couple of days and there was a puncture when I last parked it and it went unnoticed, I won't have to wake up to a fully deflated tyre (I'm assuming by your write up that SensAiry will send me a push notification when the tyre deflates to a set point). Two, as a non OEM solution, there are no ugly bits messing up my car's dash.

I have a question: Is the bluetooth connection persistent? Will my phone's BT be free to connect with the car for media and other things, or will it be fully occupied by SensAiry?

Edit: Wait, no, there are no push notifications, you need to be within 15 feet for the values to update. Oh, what a miss SensAiry, including that ridiculous name. They're a startup, and they couldn't figure out a way to add this functionality? I can't be the only one who's thought of this the moment I saw this app.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 12:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
This is a far more practical, and neat way of doing things. It has obvious advantages too. One, if I don't start my car for a couple of days and there was a puncture when I last parked it and it went unnoticed, I won't have to wake up to a fully deflated tyre (I'm assuming by your write up that SensAiry will send me a push notification when the tyre deflates to a set point). Two, as a non OEM solution, there are no ugly bits messing up my car's dash.

Edit: Wait, no, there are no push notifications, you need to be within 15 feet for the values to update. Oh, what a miss SensAiry, including that ridiculous name. They're a startup, and they couldn't figure out a way to add this functionality? I can't be the only one who's thought of this the moment I saw this app.
I think the obvious reason for this 'miss' is that this is a Bluetooth based system - hence would work only at close range.
It communicates directly to your device. Not via a server / host.
For that it would need some form of network connection in it - a WiFi or Data connection - would not be possible to fit all of that in the sensors. Hence no push notification.
I don't think it's a miss, I think it's just not possible.
Unless -they provide you with a device (reader) mounted in the car, which has a SIM card. So the reader (could be just a tab) - stays inside and connected to the sensors and then sends the reading to the server which triggers the notification to your app.
As of now, I think their servers are getting the data through the app on your phone.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 13:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Hello

This could be possible if you have a spare phone with a data sim and leave it inside the car at all times. You could install the app with the same log in id and then even when you open the app in your daily use phone the readings could refresh.
I did want to try it myself but my basement parking does not have proper network signal.

Apologies for the repeat replies.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th July 2017 at 14:30. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
atlantis0965 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 14:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that it has 5 year battery life!

What about calibration / recalibration?
Old 7th July 2017, 17:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Good to know that it has 5 year battery life!

What about calibration / recalibration?
There's nothing mentioned about it but if you follow the air pumps at filling stations, this one shows near identical pressures. So maybe, we can keep calibration in check that ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Hello

This could be possible if you have a spare phone with a data sim and leave it inside the car at all times. You could install the app with the same log in id and then even when you open the app in your daily use phone the readings could refresh.

I haven't tried this but that's a good idea. I can check this after 2-3 weeks as car is at Gurgaon and am at home.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th July 2017 at 17:27.
Old 7th July 2017, 19:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant upgrade, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
There is a TPMS in MGA also but that was costly and external, plus the dealer was not willing to get it without upfront payment. So ditched that also.
The MGA one costs 13k approx(12990 IIRC), but is an internal TPMS.

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-capture.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 20:39   #12
BHPian

@BoneCollector - A very thoughtful upgrade done. Cheers

As a user of an aftermarket TPMS, I would like to share my thoughts and experiences here.

I may be wrong, but SensAiry type of app based system by my reckoning is best suited for a predominantly self driven car or a car with an android head unit. Where the vehicle is shared between family members and driver/s, this system may not be much of a success.

The SensAiry system was offered to me couple of months ago at an exhibition of auto parts in Delhi at a much lower price, but, I rejected the idea as I mainly sit in the backseat while being chauffeured around and chose not to trust my driver with the system when I am not a passenger. But I did like their TPMS for bikes and scooters which was under development at that time. Essentially the same system as the four wheeler type, but the sensor in attached to the wheel by way of a stainless steel jubilee clip of sorts that goes through the sensor and round the circumference of the wheel. As a bike / scooter has no place to 'safely' attach the display, an app type system is preferable.

As a matter of sheer coincidence while I was reading this thread today, postman delivered my second TPMS ordered from Aliexpress. A second coincidence of sorts is that yesterday only, the first system installed in my Xcent detected a low pressure in the FL tyre. I stopped at a tyre shop on the way and had it repaired. From detection to repaired in under 10 mins. I saved atleast an hour or two of my time and 4-5K of my money, had the tyre got damaged.

My reasons for choosing this particular TPMS system
1. Standalone - Is not connected to phone or any system of the vehicle. The display is a 3x3inch unit which sticks to the windshield keeping the dashboard the way I like it, clean and clutter free(yeah, no temples/ perfumes).
2. Solar powered- No wire install/cutting hassle, no power outlet getting busy. Wired charger is included but not needed.
3. Internal Sensors (4 nos)- External sensors are theft prone.
4. Dirt cheap at 52USD (Rs3500appx) shipped. No customs paid. Excellent quality for the price.

The unit is programmable to show pressure in psi/bar and temperature in celcius/fahrenheit. The safe pressure range can also be set. They claim the sensor battery to last 5+years but at this price i'll be happy even if it lasts half that.

I request everyone specially those who make frequent long trips / highway runs to have TPMS installed. I think its like a little insurance preventing claiming of insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-tpms1.jpg  

autoholic is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 20:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Brilliant upgrade, thanks for sharing.

The MGA one costs 13k approx(12990 IIRC), but is an internal TPMS.

Attachment 1654915

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks. The brochure that I read had 2 types of TPMS, one was external for sure with MRP as 12K and I guess other one was this one for 14K. But these are for 4 tyres only. Moreover, the ease of changing the tyres on the app is much easier. Plus the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoholic View Post

I may be wrong, but SensAiry type of app based system by my reckoning is best suited for a predominantly self driven car or a car with an android head unit. Where the vehicle is shared between family members and driver/s, this system may not be much of a success.
Thanks. As far as my case is concerned, Brezza is either driven by me or someone in family and the other phone dedicated to Brezza is always with the person driving the car. It has a Jio sim solely for Google maps and other stuff.

Quote:
I request everyone specially those who make frequent long trips / highway runs to have TPMS installed. I think its like a little insurance preventing claiming of insurance.
Yes, TPMS is a brilliant thing to have, more important than any bling factor.

Last edited by noopster : 9th July 2017 at 07:05. Reason: As requested
Old 7th July 2017, 22:49   #14
BHPian

I think the best part about SensAiry is ......its "Made in India". About time we realize that we have decent manufacturing capacity within the country and don't need to import almost everything
Old 8th July 2017, 09:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoholic View Post

2. Solar powered- No wire install/cutting hassle, no power outlet getting busy. Wired charger is included but not needed.

hello

Cheers & to bone collector for compiling this thread.

How good or reliable is a solar powered unit in a car? I am asking because I am using a Aukey solar charger in my car and I have noticed that it is not as easy to use in a moving car and the manufacturer himself recommends not to use it directly for phones due to the varying output which occurs due to the variations in the exposure to the sun especially in moving vehicles.

It is a real help during the trips especially after having passing bad/gravel filled stretches ;which always leaves a doubt about any punctures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks