Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2009, 01:18   #136
Senior - BHPian

Finally got a new battery! The old SF Sonic conked out again after the car wasn't used for few days. So car was stranded. Decided it wasn't worth pushing it anymore. Its service life was barely 2 - 3 years. Don't remember exactly as it was bought by my dad. It did undergo a couple of fairly deep discharge cycles. Still, quite an unsatisfactory life span. Well, at least it didn't break down in the middle of nowhere.

I nearly bought a Panasonic, but memories of the dealer (when I bought a BT bike battery) kinda made me decide against it (thats another story). Also, I don't know if BT/Panasonic declare other tech. details like CCA, etc. And I could not find time to go battery shopping, personally.

So finally got a Amaron Go 38B20R battery for Rs. 2,750 (net, after discount and giving old batery). Bad thing was I got only Rs. 266 for the old battery! Is this a good deal overall, guys?

I'm still not sure what the difference between GO, FLO, PRO etc; besides the warranty period. The Amaron site is not at all helpful in this regard... very disappointing. They dont even give tech details like CCA, etc., on the website. Its only given on the battery. Dealers have conflicting views - some say only warranty difference, some say quality, etc. Does anybody know better? I was actually tempted to buy BLACK, but it seems that is a Low maintenance battery while GO is Zero Maintenance. And I can do with one less battery to keep an eye on.

Service was prompt (home delivery), and the guy checked the charging system and current leakage in the car too. Though he wasn't informed enough to answer many of the tech questions I asked him. In fact, while leaving, he asked me if I was in the Battery industry or something... lol!

One of the interesting thing he told me - the OEM Amarons are definitely of lower quality than the after market ones. They are sold in huge quantities and very cheap prices, to the auto manufacturers... in tonnes. Per piece price comes to around 800, for them (car companies)! He said, despite the lower quality, he has seen some rare pieces last upto 4 years or so. (But this could be due to the pattern of usage they have been through, rather than it only being attributed to varying quality, IMO) But thats the exception rather than the rule. With the after market stuff, its the opposite. He says hes see a fair number going upto 6 -8 years.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team:
Post Edited.
Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by bblost : 21st October 2009 at 22:15.
Old 26th September 2009, 08:53   #137
Senior - BHPian

800 for stock amaron batteries? i think guys who have stock amaron battery should upgrade it to quality stuff, as you upgrade everything else in it but do let me kwon when you are selling of the stock one. i need two of them
Old 26th September 2009, 10:34   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Finally got a new battery! The old SF Sonic conked out again after the car wasn't used for few days. So car was stranded. Decided it wasn't worth pushing it anymore. Its service life was barely 2 - 3 years. Don't remember exactly as it was bought by my dad. It did undergo a couple of fairly deep discharge cycles. Still, quite an unsatisfactory life span. Well, at least it didn't break down in the middle of nowhere.

I nearly bought a Panasonic, but memories of the dealer (when I bought a BT bike battery) kinda made me decide against it (thats another story). Also, I don't know if BT/Panasonic declare other tech. details like CCA, etc. And I could not find time to go battery shopping, personally.

So finally got a Amaron Go 38B20R battery for Rs. 2,750 (net, after discount and giving old batery). Bad thing was I got only Rs. 266 for the old battery! Is this a good deal overall, guys?

I'm still not sure what the difference between GO, FLO, PRO etc; besides the warranty period. The Amaron site is not at all helpful in this regard... very disappointing. They dont even give tech details like CCA, etc., on the website. Its only given on the battery. Dealers have conflicting views - some say only warranty difference, some say quality, etc. Does anybody know better? I was actually tempted to buy BLACK, but it seems that is a Low maintenance battery while GO is Zero Maintenance. And I can do with one less battery to keep an eye on.

Service was prompt (home delivery), and the guy checked the charging system and current leakage in the car too. Though he wasn't informed enough to answer many of the tech questions I asked him. In fact, while leaving, he asked me if I was in the Battery industry or something... lol!

One of the interesting thing he told me - the OEM Amarons are definitely of lower quality than the after market ones. They are sold in huge quantities and very cheap prices, to the auto manufacturers... in tonnes. Per piece price comes to around 800, for them (car companies)! He said, despite the lower quality, he has seen some rare pieces last upto 4 years or so. (But this could be due to the pattern of usage they have been through, rather than it only being attributed to varying quality, IMO) But thats the exception rather than the rule. With the after market stuff, its the opposite. He says hes see a fair number going upto 6 -8 years.

I think you did the right thing by going in for Amaron and the buy back of the old dead battery was kind of on the lower side you probably would hav got another 50 bux elsewhere. So I dont think it was that bad a deal.

As far as I am concerned any battery lasting >3 years is a bonus in our tropical weather. If you look carefully at the replacement/pro rate warranty battery mfrs offer 1-1 replacements till the battery is a max of 24-36 months old after which the pro-rata warranty kicks in. That period has been determined by the mfr to be the average life of a good quality battery in our driving conditions and weather. Batts in cold/temperate weather are known to last for 4-7 years.

I actually treat batts as consumables and replace them the minute they show signs of weakness or even faster than normal loss of water in cells. Never wait for them to die on me. We enthusiasts spend 10s of thousands on doing up our cars' ICE, tyres, exhausts, perf filters etc...replacing a battery every 3 years should not really be too much of a burden IMHO.

Rgds,
Old 26th September 2009, 13:08   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
800 for stock amaron batteries? i think guys who have stock amaron battery should upgrade it to quality stuff, as you upgrade everything else in it but do let me kwon when you are selling of the stock one. i need two of them
Lol... why would anybody want to replace them until they are doing their job??

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I think you did the right thing by going in for Amaron and the buy back of the old dead battery was kind of on the lower side you probably would hav got another 50 bux elsewhere. So I dont think it was that bad a deal.

As far as I am concerned any battery lasting >3 years is a bonus in our tropical weather...
Rgds,
I thought about selling the battery elsewhere, but decided against it... not worth the time if the difference is only 50-100 bucks. But I'v heard upto 500 bucks...

Well, the average life would have to be calculated considering the average user. The average user, as I'm sure you know yourself, usually does not even give the battery a thought until it stops cranking his car. With some care and correct usage pattern, it should last much longer than the average. Of course, ambient temp. is also a factor. As for per-emptive replacements, most batteries don't give up the ghost abruptly. Usually you get to see signs of weakening output, and thats when I'd consider a change. I believe in extracting the max. life out of something.

As for Amaron's pro-rata discount, they have a formula -[ 1-(service life in months/36 ] or 20%, whichever is higher. Now my battery has 18+18 months warranty. So if it conks out say in the 20th month, then I get 44% discount. But if it conks out in the 35th month, then I get just 20%. On the other hand Base Terminal will give 30% (as told by dealer) discount thought the period of 18 - 50 months. So if it conks out even in 4 years and 2 months, you get a 30% rebate! Thats a lot more attractive than Amaron! The Panasonic labeled batteries have a lower warranty period though. Strange!

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th September 2009 at 13:11.
Old 26th September 2009, 14:20   #140
Senior - BHPian

How can teambhpians not upgrade when there is so many option to upgrade?

Dont everything which came in stock car do their job for the conditions they are normally required to operate, ice, wheels, tires, brake pads, oil, spark plugs, filters, seat covers, headlights etc etc
we will include batteries also, after all everybody wants to have the best possible.
why have a 'plain' battery?
Old 26th September 2009, 15:40   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How can teambhpians not upgrade when there is so many option to upgrade?

Dont everything which came in stock car do their job for the conditions they are normally required to operate, ice, wheels, tires, brake pads, oil, spark plugs, filters, seat covers, headlights etc etc
we will include batteries also, after all everybody wants to have the best possible.
why have a 'plain' battery?
I can answer this from my perspective. Having bought a new car from savings, I need a breather before I upgrade to better battery/tyres/alloy wheels. So I ensured my stock car came with MRF tyres and Amaron battery-the best among stock fittings IMO. They will be good enough for a while and I can afford to choose my time of upgrade.
Old 26th September 2009, 16:04   #142
Senior - BHPian

The quality of stock amaron and aftermarket amaron are very different.
I understand your perspective, thats not the 'teambhp' perspective. Do you know frank? he is kind of our guru in upgrading.
Old 26th September 2009, 16:25   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The quality of stock amaron and aftermarket amaron are very different.
I understand your perspective, thats not the 'teambhp' perspective. Do you know frank? he is kind of our guru in upgrading.
I would qualify that as "that is not the perspective of everyone on Team BHP", my friend! The way you put it means anyone not sharing that view is not a BHPian.

I understand the difference in quality between OEM and aftermarket batteries/tyres. At the same time I don't believe in replacing something that works, and works well. When it is time for replacement, is the right time for upgrade IMO.
Old 26th September 2009, 16:41   #144
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly that way.
There is but a noticeable phenomena. A showoff stuff gets upgraded much more faster than a useful stuff.
Who is going to know if i have the best battery available in my car but alloys and music does tell somebody has arrived.( that is human, not just the perspective of everyone on Team BHP)
I dont have such things and i am looking for somebody who is going to upgrade the oem battery to aftermarket battery.
Old 27th September 2009, 21:28   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the average life would have to be calculated considering the average user. The average user, as I'm sure you know yourself, usually does not even give the battery a thought until it stops cranking his car. With some care and correct usage pattern, it should last much longer than the average. Of course, ambient temp. is also a factor. As for per-emptive replacements, most batteries don't give up the ghost abruptly. Usually you get to see signs of weakening output, and thats when I'd consider a change. I believe in extracting the max. life out of something.
I believe an average users...not car enthusiasts like us get lower batt life primarily because they are unaware of the need to maintain a battery. Most people leave it to a service station including A.S.S. to perform the required maintenance. And yes, to get value for money, you need to extract the max from your purchases. But then arent we TBHPians slightly different when it comes to our cars?

Quote:
As for Amaron's pro-rata discount, they have a formula -[ 1-(service life in months/36 ] or 20%, whichever is higher. Now my battery has 18+18 months warranty. So if it conks out say in the 20th month, then I get 44% discount. But if it conks out in the 35th month, then I get just 20%. On the other hand Base Terminal will give 30% (as told by dealer) discount thought the period of 18 - 50 months. So if it conks out even in 4 years and 2 months, you get a 30% rebate! Thats a lot more attractive than Amaron! The Panasonic labeled batteries have a lower warranty period though. Strange!
I think Panasonic ( the base terminal variety) is a bit shady unlike Exide or Amaron. Will go with one of these 2 brands when the time comes to replace my car's OEM batt. Tata Green is quite simply a wait and watch brand. There is more than a good chance I will consider Amaron. I dont believe Exide has done much off late from the VFM point of view to continue deserving my patronage.

Rgds,
Old 28th September 2009, 00:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I think Panasonic ( the base terminal variety) is a bit shady unlike Exide or Amaron.
Rgds,
Why do you say it is shady?? It seems to have good reviews on tbhp. Also, I have one in my bike. Going great with absolutely no sign of leakage unlike %^&#$ Exide! And it has a 50 month warranty too!

Maybe that feeling is present because of the lower brand presence. But its often these smaller players that have better and more competitive products. The bigger ones often loose the edge and sell due to past glory and easy availability... (like Exide!).

I would any day pick up BT or even Tata Green for that matter (though I have no idea about the latter's durability), rather than an Exide or Amco.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th September 2009 at 00:41.
Old 28th September 2009, 09:52   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you say it is shady?? It seems to have good reviews on tbhp. Also, I have one in my bike. Going great with absolutely no sign of leakage unlike %^&#$ Exide! And it has a 50 month warranty too!

Maybe that feeling is present because of the lower brand presence. But its often these smaller players that have better and more competitive products. The bigger ones often loose the edge and sell due to past glory and easy availability... (like Exide!).

I would any day pick up BT or even Tata Green for that matter (though I have no idea about the latter's durability), rather than an Exide or Amco.
Good to hear about your +ve experiences with Panasonic.

However, I read here on TBHP that Panasonic's India site doesnt mention Base Terminal as their authorised sales/service dealers. That's quite strange and hence prefer to avoid Panasonic till this is clear. OTOH had Base Terminal been explicitly mentioned as a Panasonic dealer, I would consider this brand too. To be honest, we all would prefer a Jap brand battery (in the hope of getting better quality, etc) over an Indian one..wouldnt we?

Your hatred of Exide makes me

Cheers!
Old 28th September 2009, 10:10   #148
Senior - BHPian

I too have no idea what arrangement they have with Panasonic... but you could forget about Panasonic and go for the Base Terminal labelled batteries! As I said they carry a 50 month (total) warranty whereas it is lower for Panasonic. Btw, my bike battery is labeled Base Terminal, and not Panasonic.

As for it being a Jap battery, the dealer said the Panasonic labeled batteries are made in Thiland and Base Terminal is made in India. This is what the dealer said (I can't vouch for it). Others in this thread have claimed that Base Terminal is made in China. Anyway, whats more important is the quality, price and the warranty duration. In that, they are attractive.

The day when a stupid battery corrodes your beloved ride (amongst other things), you will understand my rabid hatred for Exide and Amco...

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th September 2009 at 10:12.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:36   #149
BHPian

Just bought an Amaron DIN 45 battery for my adventure. The table that the distributor had mentioned DIN 55 as standard battery. The battery provided by FIAT during my purchase was DIN 45. I was really confused. I got the DIN 45 installed. I hope I dont face any issues. Is there a big difference b/w din 45 and din 55? I am total zero at these ratings and jargons :-)

I paid 4904/- And Rs 300 for old battery.

Last edited by kvish : 7th October 2009 at 12:39.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:10   #150
BANNED

My old AcDelco failed recently which was a 38B20R (Hope i am right). Was replaced with ACDelco INS40ZMF battery for my 800.
My two experiences with Amaron were bad. Both times cells shorted . So i stay away from them but Ac Delco has been really good .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 7th October 2009 at 16:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks