Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:21   #211
BHPian

re: Amaron batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
1. Is 38B20R really 35ah? The dealer said so, but you can generally not trust them blindly in NCR. Also asking because earlier battery had MF40 written on it. Does MF40 mean 40ah or 35 only? These codes are kind of confusing.
2. Is 2,600 right price for this battery?
3. It has Aug 10 as manufactured date. Is 4 month old okay? I think it is, but then no earlier experience on batteries.
Hi Amit,

1. Yes, the battery is actually 35ah. You can also verify from the specifications on the top panel. Your earlier battery probably was an Exide (Black top, white body?). It was 35ah too.
2. I got the 38B20R for 3k here in Mumbai (with exchange). This was the lowest quote i got from around 8 retailers. So i guess 2600 is a steal
3. Make sure the battery is as new as possible, saying that NEVER buy a battery with its manufacture date past 6 months. 4 Months is OK if it was stored well.

Amaron definitely is the best currently, i am sure you can feel the difference while cranking the engine.

Cheers!
S
Old 26th December 2010, 15:06   #212
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Zero maintainence: means you need never top up with water for a very long time... which could even be till the end of the battery's life (which means never).

Maintainence free: The term is a misnomer. You need to check up on water levels, albeit very infrequently.

Green indicator means the battery is sufficiently charged and in good state. When it isn't the color will change.
But some maintenance-free batteries are not having any filling holes which makes them zero-maintenance !
Old 26th December 2010, 17:30   #213
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, I guess these terms are not standardized. I only mentioned what is widely held, esp. wrt Amaron.

Linguistically, maintenance free and zero maintenance mean the same thing. But in the market, they may not.

If it has no filling holes, it is effectively zero-maintenance.

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th December 2010 at 17:31.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:57   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
But some maintenance-free batteries are not having any filling holes which makes them zero-maintenance !
The Amaron OEM battery fitted in my Alto is only a standard type. Water level is checked during every service.

I bought an Amaron maintenance free battery (Probiker or something) for my Splendor and it is fully sealed. It came with 18 months free replacement and 48 months pro-rata discount warranty. The battery failed in 17 months and was duly replaced. It is a truly fit and forget battery - no way to check the level at all. I intend to buy the same type for my car when it is time for replacement.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th December 2010 at 09:59.
Old 27th December 2010, 18:13   #215
BHPian

Bought Amaron GO 38B20R for my Swift Petrol today for Rs. 3300/- Manufacturing date - November '10. The old OEM Amaron (4+ yrs old) started showing signs of tiring.

Perhaps I could've saved 200-300 bucks if I shopped around but the dealer is right next door and I didn't bother. Incidentally, the Amaron PitStop guys quoted a higher rate!

GO, FLO and PRO are ALL Zero maintenance and are written clearly on the battery. On the Amaron website, only the GO description says 'Maintenance Free' while FLO and PRO are written as 'Zero Maintenance' - definitely a typo.

The only notable difference between the three is the warranty term as per the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi Amit,

1. Yes, the battery is actually 35ah. You can also verify from the specifications on the top panel. Your earlier battery probably was an Exide (Black top, white body?). It was 35ah too.
2. I got the 38B20R for 3k here in Mumbai (with exchange). This was the lowest quote i got from around 8 retailers. So i guess 2600 is a steal
3. Make sure the battery is as new as possible, saying that NEVER buy a battery with its manufacture date past 6 months. 4 Months is OK if it was stored well.

Amaron definitely is the best currently, i am sure you can feel the difference while cranking the engine.

Cheers!
S
Old 28th December 2010, 01:52   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The Amaron OEM battery fitted in my Alto is only a standard type. Water level is checked during every service.

I bought an Amaron maintenance free battery (Probiker or something) for my Splendor and it is fully sealed. It came with 18 months free replacement and 48 months pro-rata discount warranty. The battery failed in 17 months and was duly replaced. It is a truly fit and forget battery - no way to check the level at all. I intend to buy the same type for my car when it is time for replacement.
Fully sealed ones are VRLA batts. Afaik, Amara Raja doesn't make them for cars. Practically, the zero maintenance ones are the same - you should never need to open the caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
The only notable difference between the three is the warranty term as per the dealer.
Not quite true AFAIK. And in fact according to my Amaron dealer too. Amaron classifies zero and no maintenance batts differently.
Old 28th December 2010, 09:47   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Fully sealed ones are VRLA batts. Afaik, Amara Raja doesn't make them for cars. Practically, the zero maintenance ones are the same - you should never need to open the caps.
They are indeed VRLA batteries! Have a look:

http://www.amararaja.co.in/probikerider.asp

Last edited by Gansan : 28th December 2010 at 09:51.
Old 30th December 2010, 12:20   #218
BHPian

Bought Amaron GO 38B20R for Santro today. The OEM Exide ones lasted 52 months and then slowly started dying.

Quoted price : 3500
Old battery traded in for : 500
Discount : 50,

so got them fitted for 2950.

Last edited by kaushikr : 30th December 2010 at 12:31.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:14   #219
BANNED

I didn't have the patience to read the whole thread but I guess the moral of this 15 page story is "Close your eyes and buy an Amaron and forget about it for the next 4-5 years." That's what I did for 3 different vehicles. Never regretted my decision to go for Amaron. I've also tried out Tata Green and was equally satisfied.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:16   #220
BHPian

I have owned cars for 30 years. Over a dozen of them. I used to use only Exide. The battery used to go in 3 years.

This time my Swift came with an Amaron and it lasted 60 months with heavy usage of a/c, stereo etc.

Needless to say I bought another Amaron as soon as the old one died. Paid only 2800 for it!!

Am definitely a very satisfied customer.

It lasts long. Really long!!
Old 4th January 2011, 13:14   #221
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I need some urgent advice. Th OE battery in my SWIFT DZIRE has gone dead and I'm in need of a new one. Have checked with EXIDE and AMARON dealers. Prices are almost the same, with some dealers quoting Amaron more than the Exide and some the other way around. The best deal for the exide is about Rs.7500 { after discounts and buy back of the old battery} and in Amaron its about Rs.7700. Now, I want to know what is the equivalent battery in Amaron for Exide's FMAO DIN 65{LH}? Amaron's website doesnt provide the battery code for specific cars.
Can anyone please help me? Also, has any of you got an OE amaron with the swift / dzire diesel? If so can anyone mention the code?

Thanks a ton!
Old 10th January 2011, 10:31   #222
BHPian

Got a new Amaron FLO DIN 45 battery two days back for Ford Flair. My original battery ran for 64 months and start showing problems.

Price quoted is 5811, buy back of old battery =350 and after discount, it came to 5300. Got it from Mahadevapura, outerring road. Is this a good price. Carnation was also quoting near 5800-5700, but they won't give any discount nor take the old battery.

One question, how can i ensure that the battery given is brand new and not being used. I asked the question as the battery was not having the plastic cover around it. He said FLO,PRO comes in boxes and batteries which don't have the cover will have the plastic covers. The battery leads were covered with some plastic cover and was removed infront of me.
Old 12th January 2011, 11:49   #223
VMC
BHPian

Amaron Battery for my Elantra Diesel costs Rs 9242 with 30+30 months warranty whereas the Exide with 5 year warranty costs 7285.Thats a price difference of about 2000rs.
I have to replace the battery now. I need some cash:(
Old 8th April 2011, 17:39   #224
BHPian

Happy Amaron customer

Glad I was following this thread for long. My Getz' OEM Exide battery went kaput recently and literally had me stuck! It did leak quite a bit over the past few years and hence I knew its time was up. A few calls to friends and thanks to the knowledge shared here, called up Maharashtra tyre and battery, Santacruz(w) in Mumbai. First up I was confused between the Flo and Pro, but since I would be keeping the car for another few years, decided to go for the Pro. Little more warranty felt worth it. I got the pro 55b24LS. Got 500 bucks for my old battery and got the Pro for around 5300. The Exide sealed one was for 6500, so in the end Amaron was well worth it

The battery really felt good, as the car cranked up pretty quickly compared to the years I have been spending on the Exide. The shop also keeps Prestolite batteries, for those who want them, this is the place. One more factor which made me buy Amaron was, their award winning commercials Remember the Mangal-Pandu and tortoise-Hare ads??

Really...Amaron lasts long, really long..dhing tang dhing tang dhing!!

Last edited by coolmel : 8th April 2011 at 17:42.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:59   #225
BHPian

15 Months, and the exide battery that came with my new Swift went kaput!
Called the roadside assistance guys got the car "jump Started". He said the Exide is essentially gone (Battery was bone dry, he added a lil distilled water to make it last till the battery shop).
Got a brand new Amaron FLO after hearing good things about it...
Got it for 3850 , Model : 42BR30L (if Im not wrong).
Lets see how it goes.

Most Viewed