Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 08:58   #301
BHPian

re: Amaron batteries

Have you got the voltage checked, how much power is the alternator generating to charge the battery. If its low then you can face this problem. Also if there is any leakage anywhere in the car this issue can come up. As it would drain out the battery.
Old 11th March 2012, 02:08   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Battery is only 4-5 months old, so dumping it and going for a new one is not an option for me.

I just came back from garage and the battery Indicator is Grey again, was green during day driving and in Night i did 20-25km run.
can someone post his Indicator results ?
First thing I feel you should do is check the SoC of the battery. If doing it with a Voltmeter, remember to do it approx 24 hours or more, after you last started the car. Maybe the battery is bad and not holding charge.
Old 11th March 2012, 08:19   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
First thing I feel you should do is check the SoC of the battery. If doing it with a Voltmeter, remember to do it approx 24 hours or more, after you last started the car. Maybe the battery is bad and not holding charge.
The battery should have charged fully with you day run. Have you checked the alternator and whether it is charging the battery? Pl take it to the battery dealer who would chk the liquid levels and charging levels. Would be covered by warranty as it is only 4 to 5 months old.
Old 11th March 2012, 11:01   #304
BANNED

Quote:
I just came back from garage and the battery Indicator is Grey again, was green during day driving and in Night i did 20-25km run.
can someone post his Indicator results ?
Check if you are leaking some juice. How, connect an ammeter to the battery (I find removing the earth and putting in the ammeter there the easiest).
Old 12th March 2012, 00:59   #305
BHPian

Thanks all for being such a caring forum peers.
Thanks to Team-BHP for having a platform to interact on every aspect of car ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Have you got the voltage checked, how much power is the alternator generating to charge the battery. If its low then you can face this problem. Also if there is any leakage anywhere in the car this issue can come up. As it would drain out the battery.
Last time i was unable to crank, the dealer was trying to blame the alternator, and saying its not generating enough charge, however this was immediately checked and his standby batt. was getting 14+ volts for charging while this amaron FLO was not crossing 13 volts mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
There's hardly any 24 hours at a stretch when I don't drive the car, but will try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
The battery should have charged fully with you day run. Have you checked the alternator and whether it is charging the battery? Pl take it to the battery dealer who would chk the liquid levels and charging levels. Would be covered by warranty as it is only 4 to 5 months old.
Alternator volts are 14+ with other batteries while this amaron doesn't show more than 13volts with engine running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Check if you are leaking some juice. How, connect an ammeter to the battery (I find removing the earth and putting in the ammeter there the easiest).
I doubt leakage as anything extra installed in car is thru "ACC" and with keys out car these lights have No power same as headunit is also shutdown with key at off/lock position.

I have only a digital multimeter with me, its the same common popular yellow chinese one with a rotary knob to change mode, don't remember how to use it as Ammeter, so will check with dealer soon.

Currently having guests and need car every few hours, and i wish it behaves for 3 more days, then I am free to waste a few hours with this stupid dealer or even give Amaron helpline a call and ask them to arrange me a replacement instead of expecting me to bang my head on dubious dealer who loves blaming your car for everything, if it was alternator the "EXCITE" brand stand-by battery should have lost the charge too, or would have behaved in problematic manner.

Last thing, with standby battery my car cranking was sounding fast, while with amaron it sounds like its struggling a bit.
will update with my Amaron experience on Thursday or friday.
Old 12th March 2012, 16:17   #306
BHPian

Greetings to all

Just to impart some knowledge about battery basics as I had been associated with Amaron for 7 yrs. To begin with

There are various reasons for the battery to run flat
  • Bad alternator
  • High resistance
  • Current leakage - over 100 milliamps
  • improper solenoid switch
  • of course abuse - which would be unintentional
  • Improper charging method
The current procedure to check a battery is the follows
  • Check OCV - Open Circuit Voltage by using a calibrated multimeter
  • Check intercell voltage
  • Check specific gravity of all cells - for Amaron it is 1.250 / cell
The correct method to charge
  • Connect the terminals to a bench charger and set the current at 5% of the AH (Amp hour) of the battery in the charger
  • AH - Amp hour mentioned on the battery
  • Ex : 35 AH mentioned on the battery, the current to be set is 3.5 amps for charging.
  • The method of charging should be CcCV which means "Constant Current Constant Voltage charge".
  • The normal method a good charger follows - Boost / Float / Trickle method.
  • A flat dead battery has to be uniformly charged for a minimum period of 24 hrs. Specific Gravity readings of each cell must be recorded prior to charge, after 24hrs all cell gravity must be read equally, if some abnormality is found in any of the cell then the battery is sure to have problems.
  • The battery after the charge period of 24hrs must be allowed to cool down for another 24hrs.
  • After the cooling period of the battery is over it must be subjected to a load test of 100 amps for 5 secs which simulates the starting procedure of starter system. The voltage should not dip below 9.8 volts with no gassing or bubbles in each of 6 cells.
  • If the battery passes this test, the battery is fit for use. if gassing or bubbling is found in any of cells then the battery is unfit.
I guess there would have been experts who might have given their inputs, apart from that there are basic steps to check your electrical system which would ensure a trouble free car.

Cheers

Happy Motoring

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th March 2012 at 07:59. Reason: Full quote not needed.
mridul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 01:56   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for being such a caring forum peers.
Thanks to Team-BHP for having a platform to interact on every aspect of car ownership.

Last time i was unable to crank, the dealer was trying to blame the alternator, and saying its not generating enough charge, however this was immediately checked and his standby batt. was getting 14+ volts for charging while this amaron FLO was not crossing 13 volts mark.
my 2008 santro oem excide battery went dead yesterday and i have just fitted a new amaron flo 35ah for 3600 after exchange and discount.

battery charge was checked after fitting the new battery and is as follows.

idling - 14.11
idling with ac and headlight on - 13.88
engine off - 12.9 to 13

hope this helps.
how much did you pay for your amaron flo?
i will post my battery green/gray indicator reading tomorrow night, as mine will have 24hr downtime tomorrow.

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 13th March 2012 at 01:58.
Old 13th March 2012, 14:24   #308
BHPian

Guys my pulsar has an exide battery which is practically dead. Electric start not working anymore nor is the horn. The headlight though still works. According to the service chap one part of the battery or half the cells are dead.
Are there Amaron batteries for bikes also? Would you suggest the same or go with Exide?
Old 13th March 2012, 14:54   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Guys my pulsar has an exide battery which is practically dead. Electric start not working anymore nor is the horn. The headlight though still works. According to the service chap one part of the battery or half the cells are dead.
Are there Amaron batteries for bikes also? Would you suggest the same or go with Exide?

Amaron battery is available for Pulsar. Using one for my bike (150 dtsi ES) for last 3.5 years and no issues. Still starts on cold mornings without issues. More info here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tml#post974268
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 14:58   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Amaron battery is available for Pulsar. Using one for my bike (150 dtsi ES) for last 3.5 years and no issues. Still starts on cold mornings without issues. More info here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tml#post974268
Rs. 1400 & 5 year warranty
No more doubts on what i have to get myself. Mine is a 2005 pulsar & i think i have changed my battery more than twice. And always towards the end it was the same issue of half the cells dying. Well, Amaron it is then. Hope the price & warranty period haven't changed.
Old 13th March 2012, 15:15   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Rs. 1400 & 5 year warranty
No more doubts on what i have to get myself. Mine is a 2005 pulsar & i think i have changed my battery more than twice. And always towards the end it was the same issue of half the cells dying. Well, Amaron it is then. Hope the price & warranty period haven't changed.
Link for the product catalog of Amaron Batteries for 2 wheelers.

http://www.amararaja.co.in/pdf/probikerider.pdf

As per the info on the website, warranty offered is still 60 months. Price would have definitely increased as I bought it in Sep 2008.
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 00:51   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
my 2008 santro oem excide battery went dead yesterday and i have just fitted a new amaron flo 35ah for 3600 after exchange and discount.

battery charge was checked after fitting the new battery and is as follows.

idling - 14.11
idling with ac and headlight on - 13.88
engine off - 12.9 to 13

hope this helps.
how much did you pay for your amaron flo?
i will post my battery green/gray indicator reading tomorrow night, as mine will have 24hr downtime tomorrow.

UM
Thanks for the voltage details, I paid Rs.3300-3400 for Amaron FLO after giving old exide in Oct.2011

yesterday after a very long time I didn't used the car and today morning I had to push start it.

Went to amaron dealer and it was again blamed as car's alternator, Went to my regular mechanic who sent me to a car electrician who checked and said battery gravity is very very low. he says its not having enough juice to crank, luckily I didn't turned the car off since I left home.

He disconnected one terminal of batt. with car still running and connected a AMP. Meter and found charging was 15+ Amps and said its not alternator problem at all.

went back to dealer who still sounded horrible, wanted to throw the batt on his face but it was heavy, he was not having a standby battery for me but after few minutes he gave me a new looking exide battery for 1-2 days and says he'll check the amaron one properly.

Don't know whether he wants me to buy a new car for this defective battery or he wants me to loose patience and bang his head on this most disgusting battery I've ever used in my life.

My father came to hometown after a long illness and about a year gap, I feel ashamed I was not able to drive him along when needed, he has taken a taxi for 3 days and this is one of the biggest "Low profile feeling" Amaron arranged for me.

Always heard good things about AMARON but my first hand experience has been a nightmare so far.

Does Amaron has a policy to harass customers when it comes to replace a faulty battery ?
Old 14th March 2012, 01:02   #313
Senior - BHPian

^^^Seems you have the misfortune of having a bad dealer. Actually its a no-brainer - its easy to detect that the battery is bad. Either he is harassing you or does not know his job. You need to put your foot down... and also consider complaining to Amaron.
Old 24th April 2012, 22:55   #314
BHPian

My Ikons 19 month old base terminal maintainence free battery went dead yesterday, immediately after the 18 months free replacement period. Switched back to amaron which in my previous usage lasted more than 50 months and was zero maintainence. The new one is a Amaron Flo with 48 months warranty and the earlier one was amaron pro.

Rs 5722 mrp of the new battery, but i fought with the dealer and the base terminal guys who don't make car batteries anymore (to think of the massive promotions they did 2 yrs ago about automotive batteries!!) and got my amaron flo for Rs 2890 (50% of the new battery sticker price)
Old 10th May 2012, 15:28   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the voltage details, I paid Rs.3300-3400 for Amaron FLO after giving old exide in Oct.2011

yesterday after a very long time I didn't used the car and today morning I had to push start it.

Went to amaron dealer and it was again blamed as car's alternator, Went to my regular mechanic who sent me to a car electrician who checked and said battery gravity is very very low. he says its not having enough juice to crank, luckily I didn't turned the car off since I left home.

He disconnected one terminal of batt. with car still running and connected a AMP. Meter and found charging was 15+ Amps and said its not alternator problem at all.

went back to dealer who still sounded horrible, wanted to throw the batt on his face but it was heavy, he was not having a standby battery for me but after few minutes he gave me a new looking exide battery for 1-2 days and says he'll check the amaron one properly.

Don't know whether he wants me to buy a new car for this defective battery or he wants me to loose patience and bang his head on this most disgusting battery I've ever used in my life.

My father came to hometown after a long illness and about a year gap, I feel ashamed I was not able to drive him along when needed, he has taken a taxi for 3 days and this is one of the biggest "Low profile feeling" Amaron arranged for me.

Always heard good things about AMARON but my first hand experience has been a nightmare so far.

Does Amaron has a policy to harass customers when it comes to replace a faulty battery ?
Can't believe this! Have the exact same problem and the same steps and the same experience.

3 days after my 30 months warranty of Amaron, exactly 3 weeks ago, my battery was dead when I started on my commute. Called my garage person and he took it to his workshop. He said it is dead and requires a replacement. He offered me 5300 for a new Bosch battery.

Wanting to investigate this further, I told him to charge it and leave it at my place. Next evening, took it to the Amaron shop (Vignesh Innovations, Vashi, Navi Mumbai), the guy checks the battery sheepishly and says the specific gravity is low in all cells and that the battery is not charging despite a 30 kms ride immediately preceeding the pit-stop. So called the garage person, and he agreed to check the alternator circuits the next day. The dealer also indicated that if I wanted he will fully charge the battery also. Of course I wanted that.

Next day no show. The day after the dealer took the battery charged it and returned it the following day. In the meanwhile, the garage checked the alternator and said it had no issues. So, battery all charged up, no alternator problems, car handed back to me, problem over? Not quite.

Ran fine for the next 2 weeks. one day, i noticed the front panel which has the stereo really heated up. Hmm, weird, I thought, I was not blasting my speakers that day. Another day, I noticed that my rear red lights were on even after I took the keys off and the lights switch was set to off.

Then, 2 days ago, again battery dead. This time I wanted an electrician to check the same for the problem. He showed up yest evening with his service battery, jump started the car and promptly said battery replacement. I told him the 2 observations and he offered to check the battery thoroughly and report the findings. In the meanwhile he offered to let me have his service battery to rule out a leak/alternator reverse problem. So far so good. Checked this morning, the service battery was still fine and cranked up also. My battery report awaited this evening. Did not dare to take my car for a commute drive as the fellow's service battery was a huge Innova exide battery and the holding clamp would not fit!

Guys, I am desperately looking for ideas where to look. Also, which battery ? now that this Amaron Flo is expected to be kaput.

Will keep you updated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks