Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 19:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a one of case. But just to be sure get it checked.

But on second thought, one week is too short a time for a good battery to drain. Better get it checked.

Last edited by vikram_d : 6th August 2008 at 19:24.
Old 7th August 2008, 12:09   #47
BHPian

AFAIK the original Exide batteries that come OE fitted are low-cost 'chalta-hai' sort of batteries.They are plain white with a red top and needs monthly distilled water top-up and periodic maintenance.I had that kind of battery and it was trouble free for about 18-19 months.Then it started having problems and I had it replaced with a high-end Exide battery (a sealed one which had this 'eye' sort of thing where you could see a green ring inside.As long as it stays green,battery is doing fine,so they claimed!)But this high end higher priced exide battery lasted for more than 3 years with me,as I sold my previous car.
Now in my new Estilo,I have again the same Exide red top white cheap looking OE battery.
This battery is bad.Although I still dont have any problems with ignition or lighting or anything for that matter so far as car electricals are concerned ,but the positive terminal starts getting sulphur deposits very quickly.I had them cleaned thrice already,and applied clear petroleum jelly.But the confounded bluish-whitish-greenish deposits have come back.
Had talked with Exide service personnel,who says that it might be due to higher level of distilled water in the battery which resulted in overspill. I am seriously considering changing the OE batteries before I get my ICE installed. Would talk to the very top boss of Exide (my Dad's friend),before I change my batteries though.It is still within warranty.

If indeed I go for a replacement,which particular Amaron or Bosch Silver model should I go for?
Old 7th August 2008, 12:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
But on second thought, one week is too short a time for a good battery to drain. Better get it checked.
Yes, 1 week is really a short time for a good battery to drain. It would be advisable to get the battery checked to avoid it giving up the ghost while on the road.

For those that travel for weeks (leaving the car unused), it is a good practice to detach the -ve terminal from the battery to prevent the charge from draining.

Regarding Exide batteries, all our cars came with Exide and served us without issues for 3-4 years, with the exception being the Exide that came as OE with my Baleno. It started giving problems from 2nd year onwards. Initially it would be the rare ignition problem (no juice when starting the engine). But in the 3rd year the problem became more serious with car not starting on a warm engine.

Got it changed last week to an Amaron (2year replacement + 2 year pro-rata warranty) for Rs3500 + old battery. Have used Amaron previously also as a replacement battery for our M800 and it was good.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th August 2008 at 12:25.
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
  • I have changed thrice in my car. The OE's were Exide , later on we got Bosch silver and that too konked off in 2yrs and that too exact 2 years, right after maturing date of guarantee period
  • Right now am running on the non maintenence free SF . Got the Ampere rating upped to 70 instead of the standard 60A . I got 500 for my old battery, another thing is the DIN 60 type of Amaron costs close to 5300Rs (with 2+2 warranty), consider that to Rs.2800 of a 70A SF battery (I agree that itss a pain to for check the Battery once every 3 months). Am a satisfied user.
  • According to someone in the field(eletric spare parts dealer) they say Amaron makes batteries for Bosch as well as another Maint free battery from SF on a contract basis , can someone confirm this ?
you are right maxbhp, Amaron does manufacture batteries for Bosch, but not the SF range, as SF is a exide owned brand
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:26   #50
BHPian

Since some of us are discussing Bosch Silver in this thread - They are available to Metro yeshwantpur and they also give good amount in exchange for the old batteries. As much as 900 rupees off for the old sumo/safari batteries (70-80 AH).
As far as batteries, I believe they last as long as you want them to - by treating them right and regularly checking them, even if they are the so called zero-maintanence ones.
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:20   #51
BHPian

I think still we don't have any No.1. I feel we are unable to decide between Amaron & Bosch Silver.
Old 24th October 2008, 23:33   #52
BHPian

I finally did change my OEM Battery from Exide to a new battery.

The culprit was found to be a leaky positive terminal which resulted in acid leakage.One fine afternoon,I went to Exide service centre on CIT Road in Kolkata,told them the problem.They were reluctant to get me a new battery ,and told me they would service my battery and give me a replacement for the time being.I did not budge from my stand,called up my fathers friend.He talked with the service manager and within 15 minutes I got a new battery! The new one was checked before installation and found to be completely drained !!

I had to wait for another half n hour before they installed a new and higher specification battery in my car which was checked before installation and found to be in perfect condition.I even got a years warranty (technically) but the new battery is a 4 year-warranty battery with zero-maintenance.

Check out my new battery in 'view my garage' please!
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:59   #53
BHPian

Tata Green battery?

Has anyone tried out the Tata Green battery? It seems it is made of calcium material so the shelf life will be more. They are giving 25 months warranty plus 25 months pro rata guarantee.

My Exide battery which i used for 4 years is dead, I guess. So I have to change the battery immediately.

Cheers!!
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:12   #54
BHPian

Can anyone recommed a dealer in Pune for Amaron?
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:50   #55
BHPian

My Baleno came with Exide as OEM 1 year warranty old type and failed within 3 months. I got that changed under warranty (got the letter from Maruti Service and gave to Exide dealer to certify that its the OEM battery) from Exide Dealer to new sealed Zero maintenance with indicator and came with 3 year warranty. Now its more than 2 years old and no problems so far. I use pioneer 5050 HU and Philips rally 100/110 W bulbs with daily night driving for 25 kms. I really do think that the OEM exide battery is a crap.
Old 4th November 2008, 13:01   #56
BHPian

I have recently replaced the battery in my Gypsy with an Amaron high power unit. Seems to work fine. runs the AC, 90/100 power headlamps, ICE all very well. Plus its not very expensive as you can exchange your old battery for some discount.
Old 4th November 2008, 13:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Battery replacement centers in Bangalore

Which is the best place to buy a new battery from? I am looking to buy an Amaron. I live in south east Bangalore (BTM) so places nearby would be preferable. What would it approximately cost? Should I go for same spec, or should I go for a more powerful one?
The car is an 800, runs heavy ICE equipment, 90/100 headlights, and Roots horns.

Please help with your inputs!!
Old 8th November 2008, 09:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
I have recently replaced the battery in my Gypsy with an Amaron high power unit. Seems to work fine. runs the AC, 90/100 power headlamps, ICE all very well. Plus its not very expensive as you can exchange your old battery for some discount.
Hi There,

Can I use the same battery in Swift?
How much did the battery costs you?
What's the model no of the battery?

Thanks
Old 10th November 2008, 19:58   #59
BANNED

The Bosch batteries are actualy manufactured by amaron . Another thing which I would like to point out is the size of a car battery depends on the load estimated at the time of manufacturing .

The OE batteries are sufficient to run the stock headlamps , air conditioner and a simple HU .

Instead of going by brand names ,warranty , I would suggest while replacing a battery , please get a higher AH battery as it would help in easier cranking , better headlamps , ICE etc .

For example the swift comes with a 38 AH battery . My advice would be to replace it with a 45 ,50,55 AH batteries .

Most of the MF ( maintenance free ) batteries do require regular maintenance and they need to be topped up atleast once in 6 months . Except for SMF VRLA batteries all automotive batteries are supposed to be maintained.

Finally , most of the reputed manufacturers have good manufacturing techniques and the technology is still the same when it comes to lead acid batteries .

Personally , I would go in for the higher AH battery which is the cheapest to buy and I wouldnt really mind about warranty . I would go in for the standard 1 yr or 18 months warranty and not be confused by 60 months and pro rata basis replacement warranties .

Incase any one needs to know about a higher AH battery upgrade ,pls PM me , I will be able to give the model /manufacturer for upgrade .

Finally , prestolite in India is known as EXide the world over .
Old 10th November 2008, 20:21   #60
BANNED

The pro -rata warranty was started initially as the prices of lead went up and the manufacturers wanted to recycle the lead from dead batteries .
In this respect both amaron and exide set up recycling plants and most of the dealers were instructed to recover the dead batteries by offering discount to the customers .

Bosch has a stupid marketing plan .. they do not have a distributor for their batteries . They route their batteries through their distributors and most of the distributors do not deal with battery dealers . They deal with auto spare parts shops and ,according to me most of them prefer to buy batteries at battery shops where they have a range of brands to deal with .

Varta batteries are famous for DIN type batteries and these DIN types are maily used in benz ,BMW , IKon ,HOnda ,Toyota etc

Even Tata Indica uses a DIN type battery .

AS for me I am using a base terminal , and it is been over a year and I am really impressed with the permormance /price ratio .

My tractor has a prestolite and its been almost 3 yrs since the battery was replaced and it is still going strong .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks