Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

Night driving on the highway (which is a lot in my case) almost all load is on.
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

The battery and electricals are highly capable. No worries. Enjoy.
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:46   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiuc View Post
are u sure Bosch batteries are actualy manufactured by amaron ?.

thanks , i am unable to find this in any website or anywhere. & not aware of this information.
Such third party contract manufacturing deals are never advertised. You will never find it written anywhere, unless you are from the excise department. But I am sure the contract manufacturing is done under strict specifications, quality norms, supervision and directions of Bosch, wherever they are made.
Old 7th December 2008, 23:37   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
First the difference between your car and the taxis in question - it is possible that your car's alternator is much more efficient than the taxis'. This means your car can recharge the battery much faster than what those taxis could. Second point is the additional load in case of the taxi was pretty high compared to the car's rated maximum output. I don't really know the exact power requirement of the remote connected credit card swipe machine and the walkie talkies but apparently it was considerably higher. We did an extensive research on this and I even have the test report but since I am a non-technical person never bothered much about it. All I know is the batteries had to be upgraded alongwith the alternators and the battery discharge problem was solved.
But I agree your power requirement is pretty high. However, I don't think all your gadgets are on at the same time all the time consistently for a long time. Please also note - the new generation Maruti cars have one of the best electrical designs in the business.

Walkie talkies or credit card machines do not require so much of power . The reason why taxi batteries fail so easily is because taxis do a lot more no. of cranking than a normal personal car . For example a typical call centre sumo or indica would be cranked atleast 30 -100 times a day typically whereas a car battery would be cranked a max of 20 times in a day .
A car battery plate by design is thinner so that more no of plates can be provided for more cranking amps . Repeated cranking is not good for the battery and that is why most of the indica /tata sumo / and other taxi vehicle batteries die soon .
Even manufacturers have only 1 year warranty at an acceptable price /size/segment for these vehicles .

Uprating a battery to 2 -3 sizes more gives a better life and even the starter motor might be a culprit for a battery to die soon .
Old 7th December 2008, 23:42   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The charging voltage for all batteries is the same. So you don't have change the alternator.
voltage is the same ,but amps are different . You need more amps to charge a bigger battery or a bigger battery needs more time to fully get charged .

The catch is if the current draw is more than the alternator can provide the battery will not be able to get charged and thats when problems arise . By current draw I mean the current drawn by head lights , HU , amps , lights , A/C etc. The total current drawn by all these devices in total should be lesser than the current produced by the alternator . Incase if the current drawn is more ,then it is time to get a higher rated alternator .
Old 12th August 2009, 07:19   #111
Team-BHP Support

After 5 years and 5 months my OE Amaron battery died yesterday. Sundaram Motors sending their service team with a new one. OE battery is 12V - 55 amp and I'm fitting the same again.
Old 12th August 2009, 16:06   #112
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
After 5 years and 5 months my OE Amaron battery died yesterday.
Thats a really long time Rudra. Speaks volumes for Amaron's rleiability and robustness. Which GM car do you have?
Old 12th August 2009, 16:06   #113
Team-BHP Support

Sundaram service team came right in time and replaced the battery. 12V - 55 amp Amaron at 5300/-. I think I paid the right price.

Edit: gpa, I have 2004 Optra LT.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th August 2009 at 16:08.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:27   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

@Rudra, quote I got for a 12V 75AH (105D31 ) was for that much -5.3k. Reduce another 400 for old battery. I can get a little more discount, but planning to try a Bosch Silver this time.

includes B&W.

5 yrs + is really good. But wonder if this is the case with only the OE stuff. Replacement Amarons dont seem to have the same quality, do they ?

Last edited by condor : 12th August 2009 at 17:28.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:48   #115
Team-BHP Support

Condor, I wanted the same OE spec battery as replacement. Sundaram obviously charged me add on as commission. I also got a reduction there for my old one. I didn't have time to go to a shop and find out the best rate. I'm not acting snooty but my current work pressure doesn't allow me to have that luxury.
Quote:
Replacement Amarons dont seem to have the same quality, do they?
Only time will tell.
Old 12th August 2009, 18:00   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Rudra, how would you know if Sundaram is giving the OE unit itself ? Is the packaging different ? If the rating is the same, one wouldnt be able to make out any differences ..

can understand the time part .. being doing the mid-night slog for quite some time now. Work's been making me push the current battery .. could refuse to start any day now.

Was coming from personal experience. The replacement Amaron in the Marina lasted just short of 2 years. And was used regularly - no longish breaks.
Old 12th August 2009, 18:07   #117
Team-BHP Support

Lol this happened eh! other day only ol man got the intuition

@Condor: can you rule out 100%, the chance of anything else wrong in the car, like a slightly weak alternator etc. Asking since i personally see 3 cars with replacement Amaron, without any issue at 3 plus years IIRC

Bosch silver how much are they (rs) compared to amaron?

Ford used to have a diff packing for OE battery and those replaced at dealers, came in white. But with those checkered plastic for battery shell (white). I dont remember seeing replacement amaraons in white, oh yeah and no brand marking on those IIRC again.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th August 2009 at 18:10.
Old 12th August 2009, 18:09   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Rudra, how would you know if Sundaram is giving the OE unit itself ? Is the packaging different ? If the rating is the same, one wouldnt be able to make out any differences.
They stock Amaron and only Amaron. My OE battery was black as case colour. This new one is green. This is the spec they get for OPTRA (for both 1.6/1.8). 1.8 has a slightly higher amp alternator.
Quote:
Was coming from personal experience. The replacement Amaron in the Marina lasted just short of 2 years. And was used regularly - no longish breaks.
I may experience the same in future. But what can I do at this point in time? Do I have any better choice? Battery, I believe is a matter of luck.
Old 12th August 2009, 18:12   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Battery, I believe is a matter of luck.
90% luck 10% maintanence is what i believe in These things are very unpredictable!
Old 12th August 2009, 18:26   #120
Senior - BHPian

+1 but i would change the ratio to 75/25 maintainance helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
90% luck 10% maintanence is what i believe in These things are very unpredictable!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks