Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2006, 12:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Yes, LBM, unfortunately people like you and I can no longer ask for the red top and yellow top Optimas. If they have some stock they will sell it, but they have stopped importing it. Not enough sales.
I think that is the reason I am not getting a replacement back since 20th june....
Old 10th November 2006, 12:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@TSK - I don't have a better way to put this but exide batteries are rubbish, today. The only reason they survive is because of old reputation and because of OEM.

Practically every new car that comes with exide as OEM, has a battery failure in it's second year. (As soon as the warranty is over). I have been a victim of this twice over. When I bought my Lancer, HM gave me an Amaron battery. My car is now 3.5 years old and the battery is going strong.

Companies like Amaron actually offer a pro-rata warranty after 2 years. After the first 2 years are over (during these 2 years, you get a free replacement), after these 2 years are over, you still get a replacement, but have to pay the difference between the (estimated) price of a 2 year old battery and a new one. It's a marketing gimmick. But yes, it does have a proper 2 year warranty.

While buying a battery, ask how many years warranty and then remember to ask if it a replacement warranty, or a pro-rata warranty. Only the number of years included in the replacement warranty are of any worth.
Old 10th November 2006, 13:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Panasonic is quite freely available here, maybe not as much as amaron or exide, but i do see a few outlets here. damn, they were available even in Hosur, a very small industrial town. But neither bosch nor panasonic have won the consumers' trust with regard to their service etc. i guess that is where they lack.
Old 10th November 2006, 13:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I agree. Some of the best batteries don't sell in this country.
I wonder why MICO isn't pushing the Bosch Battery strongly.
Sam I don't know for sure but I would think it would be because the Bosch/Varta batteries would be significantly more expensive then the normal Exide/Amaron/Panasonic etc. And thus due to the price, even though it has superior performance it will sell only as a niche product and suffer the same fate as the Optima's. People like you, LBM, me might buy the high-performance batteries but our numbers are too miniscule to make up a solid business plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I think all these "non Exide" batteries offering 3 years warranty are the best of the lot. I wonder why Excide comes with a one year warranty only? Do they know that their batteries cannot last beyond that?
Not correct. I just had my Panasonic battery replaced by Exide Freedom 2 months back & the battery comes with a 3 year warranty. 2 years is free replacement & then the pro-rata depriciation system is applied.
Old 10th November 2006, 14:52   #20
BHPian

is it true that there is no Amron battery for skoda?that is what i heard from a trivandrum dealer.can anyone help me to get an Amron battery?
Old 10th November 2006, 15:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Sam I don't know for sure but I would think it would be because the Bosch/Varta batteries would be significantly more expensive then the normal Exide/Amaron/Panasonic etc. And thus due to the price, even though it has superior performance it will sell only as a niche product and suffer the same fate as the Optima's. People like you, LBM, me might buy the high-performance batteries but our numbers are too miniscule to make up a solid business plan!
Price is always the factor for something good to be discontinued in this country, most people are concerned about the price, and the knowledge is so limited that even a chai wala can convince people that any XYZ battery is good for your car. "Sirji maine apne thelle par non-stop light chalai thi pure chaar saal tak is battery pe, no prov-lame! Socho aapki gaadi to kabhi kabhi chalti hai"

Ok so the question is, what is the price of the Amaron and Bosch battery? (just to save ourselves from getting conned) "SHED" some light please ;-)
Old 27th November 2006, 13:58   #22
BHPian

so if the optimas are not available anymore, which battery should be the best choice? Amaron?
Any info on the prices?
Old 27th November 2006, 20:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Yes, LBM, unfortunately people like you and I can no longer ask for the red top and yellow top Optimas. If they have some stock they will sell it, but they have stopped importing it. Not enough sales.
I wanted to buy an optima battery but gave up after getting a price quote, now I am using amaron. Why spend more when you can get a good battery at a decent price.
Old 27th November 2006, 22:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh View Post
I wanted to buy an optima battery but gave up after getting a price quote, now I am using amaron. Why spend more when you can get a good battery at a decent price.
for how much did you buy the amaron battery? specifications?
Old 28th November 2006, 09:54   #25
BHPian

Guys, I know this is a bit off-topic, but, do Exide batteries really conk out that soon? I have the OEM Exide battery in my WagonR.. The car has done a little over 4 years now and I haven't had a problem with it yet..

My general running is < 20KM a day and at night I use Philips Rally 100/110 headlamps.. (and I have let the car remain unused for periods of 2-3 weeks at a stretch multiple times - whenever I was travelling). And the battery has been holding fort reasonably well I'd say..

I understand that I may need to change my battery sometime in the next 6 months. Choice would be between the Exide "sealed"(zero maint battery that is being advertised now) and an Amaron..

Can someone throw a bit of light on this..?

Last edited by kgc_cool : 28th November 2006 at 09:55. Reason: Editing a garbled sentence!
Old 28th November 2006, 10:37   #26
BHPian

I see everybody is happy with amaron, unfortunately I am not. I got a AMARON battery in my Baleno as part of OE fitment, exactly 1year and 2 days, 17000kms later it went kaput. I am still awaiting warranty replacement
Old 28th November 2006, 17:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Optimas are available in Bangalore. Both the red and yellow top.
Old 28th November 2006, 23:03   #28
BHPian

I think it all depend on the fate and luck of the individual, after all they are just some cells, which can go bad anytime. In my experience if a battery is trouble free for abt a year and a little more, it tends to last long, otherwise they just die out fast
Old 29th November 2006, 00:02   #29
BHPian

I have got my Santro's battery changed just today.It was Bosch silver ion which gave me true maintenence free 4 and a half year's service.I've paid Rs 2300 for a new one.Warrenty is for 24 months.
Old 29th November 2006, 16:08   #30
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
I think it all depend on the fate and luck of the individual, after all they are just some cells, which can go bad anytime. In my experience if a battery is trouble free for abt a year and a little more, it tends to last long, otherwise they just die out fast
Wonderful.. I second..
Just like a computer hard drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks