Team-BHP - Bright white headlight
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Bright white headlight (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/1905-bright-white-headlight.html)

I've seen some of these really bright WHITE headlights (as opposed to stock yellowish) with a slight slight tinge of blue, mostly on some accords, mondeos and some lancers/citys. I think they are really bright and really help as headlights, so I wanted to install them. I asked my local electrics guy and he said that they are illegal within city limits. "Fine marega!" he says. Is this true? Are they illegal? Especially since I've seen so many people use them uninhibitedly...

Are these the ones called Xenon lights or something .. I don't know anything about this stuff.

- Aalaap

I have exactly the same stuff in my Jeep. They are some high quality bulbs with a blue touch in them. Really really awesome in throw, and nope...no cop has pulled me over yet.

GTO

How much did they cost and where did you get them installed? Can I put them in my Zen? I have seen a few zens with that stuff.

- Aalaap

Didnt cost me more than 500 bucks or in the whereabouts. Got it fitted at this shop called "Autoking" in Shivaji Park

GTO

Ohh autoking .. rupesh/vicky .. woh toh apna yaar hai .. Cool i'll head over to him this weekend!

Thanks!

- Aalaap

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Sep. 02 2004,22:40)]I have exactly the same stuff in my Jeep. They are some high quality bulbs with a blue touch in them. Really really awesome in throw, and nope...no cop has pulled me over yet.

GTO

hey gto,
wat make is ur bulb of.
do u get 100/90W bulb.and wat is it called.is there any diff in the normal 100/90 bulb.
i have an imported philips rally bulb 100/90/

pls give details.

The bulps guys are talking about are xenon H1 bulps they come with a whole kit loop wirring and a fuse box too and cost a bit in saudi they cost something around 150 SR that s 1500rs the bulps u get in India arent that high powered man theses are really bright

no i dont think its xenon bulbs ,as they require the whole kit which wud definitely cost more then 1.5k.had enquired abt the hella micro de xenon fog lamp kit .and it wud have cost me abt 20k excluding duties.
so i had to settle for the H4 hella micro de fog lamps for my car which cost me abt 120 australian dollars ,as it was bought through an auction site.
these lamps are excellent inspite of their high costs as i need not put on my headlights inside city limits as these are better than most bike headlamps.
even though small they are superbbbbbbb--dikhave pe mat jaao.
this is a bit off topic,but cudnt help it.

any info abt GTO's bulbs is awaited.

Hey Aalap,

Let me clear a few things out.

1. The bright white headlamps with a tinge of blue you see on cars like the Mondeo, S350L, Skoda L&K, are *REAL* Xenon lamps.
The similar kinda light comming from a modded lancer/city is basically just for the purpose of trying to immitate a xenon.
*REAL* xenons (the ones with the real advantage) are filled with xenon gas, and do not have a filament. The light is caused by an arc of electricity jumping across two electrodes. It takes an incredibly high voltage of ~50,000 volts to start this arc.

2. Any bloke trying to sell you a H4 bulb, running on 12Volts, with a filament and claims its xenon doesnt know what the hell he is talking about....(and believe me none of them do).... Manufacturers have caught onto the whole 2F2F scene and have started labeling their bulbs as "xenon"...they probably put in a bit of xenon to support the claim, but in reality these are not xenons and have none of the advantages of xenons. A real xenon system will probably cost 50k or more, including both lamp assemblies as well as some kinda step up for the voltage, and maybe a self leveling system.

3. Even IF you had real xenons, its still debateable as to whether or not they do have an advantage over halogens. (See the link provided at the end of this post)

4. To get the best bulbs, what you want to do is buy a higher wattage bulb, 100w/90w (highbeam/lowbeam vs the stock 60/55w). However, to use these safely and to their maximum efficiency its important that you have a relay as well as wiring harness put on. I have done this in my car and its totally worth it.
Also, the quality of bulb is important....ie buy from a company like Philips or MICO etc...

5. Headlight alignment is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL to getting the best performance out of you headlamps. On low beam, when you are facing a wall about 20-40feet away there should be a clear line at the top of the projected light, and that should be lower than your headlights (ie the lights should be pointed slightly downwards...otherwise they will end up in the eyes of an oncomming motorist). You can manually adjust your headlamps by yourself with just a screwdriver or coin(gotta love mercs... atleast the old ones).
Also, this is very important when you have overwatt bulbs since the lights are much brighter and blind oncomming drivers very easily.

6. What i dont like about the "blue" bulbs, is quite simply this> they provide no added advantage, and in some cases even lower the visibility. But what i hate the most is that some makes of those bulbs absolutely blind oncomming drivers with blue-ish white light irrespective of highbeam/lowbeam!

Well thats about all i have to say.
If you are even remotely interested in this issue you shoud definitely check out the following site and read all the articles listed on the page it opens to >
Daniel Stern Lighting.

cheers
R

H4

I upgraded my Vtec to Osram Silverstar bulbs - claims to give upto 50% more light. Bottom line is that it is much brighter. Bought based on compartive tests. sourced it from www.powerbulbs.co.uk. Here's what they say:

Giving up to 50% More Light on the road
Objects and situations can be seen clearly at a distance of 75 metres
Service life comparable to that of standard H4 and H7 lamps.
Uses xenon gas which produces a whiter light than halogen
Standard wattage - the extra light output is due to the use of xenon gas
UV filter - safe to use on plastic lenses

Ya those are not Xenon lamps. I've seen ads in many mags for Xenon lamps for bikes. Nonsense. Its just got that Xenon look. Xenon is not just a bulb or something whch you can directky fix onto an existing headlight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
wat make is ur bulb of.
do u get 100/90W bulb.and wat is it called.is there any diff in the normal 100/90 bulb.
i have an imported philips rally bulb 100/90/

Yes they are 100/90's. I dont quite recollect the brand but it is of good repute. Either a philips/micobosch/something else.

Will check in the evening,

GTO

Whoa..hmm.

I really don't think I need those 50,000 volt Rs. 50+k Xenon assemblies .. I just want white light as I hate yellow bulbs! And maybe a little brighter light too.

The ones that "imitate" the Xenon effect (let's call them nalla xenons).. do they have any disadvantages? Like too much power consumption? If they consume maybe 10%-20% more power than the regular stocks, i can understand, after all they ARE more powerful lights. But if they pull twice as much power from the batt, well that'll be something to think about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]... its important that you have a relay as well as wiring harness put on...

Rehaan, where did you get all this stuff done? I'd like to go and get my lights from a reliable guy who knows the difference between nalla and og xenons...

Thanks for the extensive info!

- Aalaap

my 800 has white lights too with blue touch

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Rehaan, where did you get all this stuff done? I'd like to go and get my lights from a reliable guy who knows the difference between nalla and og xenons...

Hi aalap, are you planning to install Xenon's in ur car?? If yes, i'll tell u it'll set u back by almost 3-3.5 K. To install Xenons u'll have to change the entire headlight assembly. And theres none available for the Zen, so it'll have to be custom-made. So add another 1-2K. Plus I guess u'll have to change you battery. Cos Xenons 20000 volts to ignite (12v for a normal halogen). Plus you will lose your High beam if you install Xenons. Obviously if u want high beams, you could go for bi-xenons. but i wudnt wanna talk abt its pricing.