Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2004, 03:00   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey All,

My Jeep is currently having her gearing modified. People familiar with the 2.2liter Peugeot will know that it is a 4 speed. This engine is awesome, very torquey and extremely reliable. My Jeep is hovering around 88000 kms and has yet to have its first breakdown. The engine runs as smooth as silk, power delivery is strong and there is no excessive oil consumption. PUC readings are also well within RTO stipulated limits. Compressions were also checked when she was being restored and the results were incredibly strong.

Buttttttttttttttt the gearing that Mahindra have provided can be a tad too low on open stretches, especially on the highway. I played around with the idea of installing the Armada Grand 5 speed gearbox but it is too long to fit in the smaller dimensions of my Jeep (A stunning black Mahindra Classic - undoubtedly the best example of any Classic). Plus I would have to change my entire 4 wheel drive mechanism to accomodate the new gearbox.

The front and rear axle ratios are currently 4.88:1. I am trying the 4.27's that Mahindra used on its DI engined Jeeps. The new ratios have already been sourced and found, it will only be by the weekend that my Jeep is equipped with a new and more appropriate higher final drive.

I am dead sure that this move will make my Jeep a lot more driveable on highway runs as also within city limits. Not only will it improve the top whack (and third gear top speed - a MUST for overtaking on indian highways), but it will also result in lower rpm's all through the speedo = more efficiency + better cooling.

The 4x4 capability will not be affected at all, thanks to the option of the transfer case which lets you select a lower geared option. I have never needed to use any lower than 2nd in the 4x4 low mode even in extreme off-roading conditions.

Am really excited about this, will keep you posted.

GTO
Old 3rd March 2004, 12:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

New mods for your jeep !!! Thats great news... Will certainly look forward to seeing you monster wit the mods... I love ur jeep dude BTW I saw a 540 DP today with ur alloy designs looked pretty neat. The 540 is another favourite of mine after the CJ

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2004, 13:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Wow...sounds like a fun plan...

have you done the exact math yet? (im too lazy at the moment!!)

cheers
Old 3rd March 2004, 14:09   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yes Dippy I agree. The 540 is also a real looker if it is modded up the right way. Buttttttttttttttttt it somehow does not have the essence of a true Jeep.

Yes Rehaan, calculations have already been done. Like I said, I just cant wait to get behind the wheel with my modded gear ratios.

GTO
Old 4th March 2004, 14:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO, in the pic, it seems as though your jeep is tilting a bit towards the right.

Y is that. Was there some weight on the right hand side?

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 4th March 2004, 15:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Now we have an eagle eye, dont we?

Yes you are correct. The thing is, my Jeep was in one spot for the three years that I was away from home. The rear leaf springs, kinda "sat down" unevenly.

Buttttttttttt once the final touch up was done, this was sorted out. No more tilting to the right.

GTO

Old 20th March 2004, 06:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hey GTO,

Noticed that in the mods post u had listed the final drive as aldready done!

Tell us how it feels and what the difference is gear by gear!

cheers
Old 20th March 2004, 13:20   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rehaan

Currently we are still finetuning the settings, as this is a first for a Mahindra Classic to have modded gear ratios.

Will keep ya updated as soon as we sort things out.

GTO
Old 2nd April 2004, 15:29   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

FINALLY!!

The Jeep is tuned, gear ratios matched, differentials overhauled and all the miscellany settings completed. I have driven her close to 400 kms since the higher gearing has been installed and here is my test-report. For the newbies, I had a 4.88 final drive in the front and rear of my Jeep. In an effort to improve performance, I installed a 4.27 final drive.

1. Driveability : You have to drive the Jeep to believe it. Previously the first gear (in 4x2 high mode) could be used ONLY while off-roading or on really steep inclines. It was geared so low that the Jeep would barely move, with the engine touching full rpm in an instant. The 4.27 has brought about a drastic improvement over this, with the Classic now doing almost 30 kp/h in first gear alone. 2nd and 3rd are awesome to cruise around Bombay city with the air-con on at full blast. The enormous torque churned out by the Peugeot 2.2 liter Indirect Injection Diesel makes sure that city driving has not been affected by the higher gearing - even with the huge a/c compressor (from a donor Sierra) on at all times. Third gear has now been transformed into a vital overtaking tool on the highway, with the top whack in each gear shooting up impresssively.

2. Engine temperature - Since the engine is now running at lower rpms at the same speed, compared to the previously lower gearing, the engine does not go above the 80' mark...and this is in the hot summer. It would not overheat previously either, but would stay around the 90' mark on the temperature gauge. However since the cruising rpms are lower, the air-con cooling has also dipped by about 5 percent. It is still an absolute chiller though - Revvmaster and Stratos will vouch for this.

3. Fuel economy - The 4.88 delivered a 11.5 - 12 without the air-con and 10ish with the a/c on...city driving. Higher gearing has resulted in an overall figure of higher 10's to 11 kpl in the city. I have not tested it otherwise since I dont drive the Jeep without the air-con.

4. Highway driving - This is the one most significant area of improvement. The Mahindra Classic has always cried out loud for a 5th cog, with the engine running at FULL RPM around the 100/110 kph mark in 4th gear. Mine is the first Classic with a 4.27 gearing and needless to say...it cruises comfortably around the 100 kpg mark. Constant corrections with the steering wheel and a good amount of Jeep-experience is a must to drive the Classic on the highway.

Feel free to get in touch with me if you want tips on a similar mod for your Jeep.

GTO
Old 2nd April 2004, 16:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report on the new gear ratios GTO Next time around I must drive your Jeep

Cheers
Old 2nd April 2004, 19:18   #11
BHPian

GTO
Great to hear that ur do in some new mods keep in touch dude and best of luck with ur BOMB
Old 3rd April 2004, 01:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

I vouch for what GTO has done with his jeep. Excellent work. Having driven his jeep around Bandra last sunday after the drag, it really surprised me with its performance and driveability. The gearing is very very good, climbing the steep slope from Bandstand towards Hill road was a joke... it climbed with ease... something i havent seen other mahindra jeeps do well.

And that AC chills u ultra fast. All in all best CJ in Mumbai? You bet. Best CJ in India... definitely... no question.

Revv

P.S. Pal, i'll always need u to shift to third when i am driving it... i guess i'll always be gear-hunting otherwise...
Old 10th October 2004, 14:12   #13
BHPian

GTO..can you post a very good snap of your jeep...fromm all possible angles?...and does it have a power steering.i guess u have 225" tyres...
Old 10th October 2004, 15:33   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]GTO..can you post a very good snap of your jeep...fromm all possible angles?
Haha, We are looking to take some cues eh? Okay will do that in time.

Nope, no power steering. Yes, 225 Michelin All-Terrains.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks