Team-BHP - The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/191207-back-up-assistance-mirror-where-find-one.html)

Since the advent of reversing cameras and beeping sensors, the back-up assistance mirror seems to have vanished from automotive memory. The mirrors come in various designs, either pasted on to the rear windscreen or bolted on to the metal of the tailgate / rear door, or even fixed to the spare wheel carrier of SUVs like the Endeavour.

They look like this:

The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-comvs1013.jpg

The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-revasstmirror.webp.jpg

The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-revasstmirror1.jpg

I have been trying to procure one for my own use, but have been unable to do so till now. The stick-on type as seen at this link is the one I would prefer, but the one that fixes on to the spare wheel carrier of a Thar would also be welcome.

Can anyone help? Is anyone here using this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 4284822)
I have been trying to procure one for my own use, but have been unable to do so till now. The stick-on type as seen at

I still see some new Force Travellers sporting this on Bangalore roads but I certainly won't ask them where they bought one :).

Why not try around typical accessories market in Delhi - What Delhi offers in terms of such accessories is nothing what we get elsewhere. I am sure you will end up finding some shop who may just have that one piece left for the lucky one in you?

Used parts market is another option but then, you will really have to put efforts and even if you found one, what if its not really in good shape.

As a last resort, you may probably take the DIY route and fabricate one for yourself. Use the ones found in trucks that anyway come with long arm on both the sides, like this and mount that horizontally to aide you.

The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-sam_1209.jpg

The convex curvature of these offer some brilliant extended view that will certainly be a good pick. You should get something smaller in size too, those on LCVs may be.

You could try fabricating one from a plethora of car/suv/truck orvms or even a bike/scooter handle mirror.

What you need for Thar is something like the Old Endeavour Spare Wheel Bracket mounted type of Rear Mirror. That is the most useful one I have seen and probably right fit for Thar with similar rears, rear mounted spare.

I have a Dicky Mirror which is not used these days. I have used it for my Innova for quite long earlier in the days (years). It helps much better to judge while backing up, much better than the rear mounted camera as I experienced. Unfortunately, it is a suction mounted one and over the time, the suction capability of the mirror deteriorated and it gave way and started falling off. Tried sticking it with the 3M tape but didn't really work due to its bulk. But while it was being useful, it was immensely useful. Now it just adorns my attic.

The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-wp_20171010_19_35_50_pro30pc.jpg

The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-wp_20171010_19_35_29_pro30pc.jpg

The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-wp_20171010_19_35_37_pro30pc.jpg

I think you should be able to find the Endeavour type one in some serious accessories stores or seconds market.

Quote:

Since the advent of reversing cameras and beeping sensors, the back-up assistance mirror seems to have vanished from automotive memory.

IMHO, you should get a reversing camera or sensors installed in your Thar. For one, the tech has moved on from these kind of mirrors. Second, your Thar is a soft-top and it won't be easy to fix this mirror properly. Lastly, it just won't look cool on a Thar (and the Thar is all about coolness :)).

By the way, why don't you just roll up the rear flap (of the soft-top)? That way, you'll have better visibility and it'll keep the air flowing in the cabin too (that's how I drive my Jeep).

On a lighter note, if you do miss something while reversing, it'll never be the Jeep's loss rl:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4285211)
On a lighter note, if you do miss something while reversing, it'll never be the Jeep's loss rl:.

Just had to share this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIE5TaDLtA

Quote:

Since the advent of reversing cameras and beeping sensors, the back-up assistance mirror seems to have vanished from automotive memory. The mirrors come in various designs, either pasted on to the rear windscreen or bolted on to the metal of the tailgate / rear door, or even fixed to the spare wheel carrier of SUVs like the Endeavour.
Can anyone help? Is anyone here using this?

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-C0.../dp/B000KXT81Y

The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-51uez9gntel.jpg
The Back-up Assistance Mirror: Where to find one?-41rlpekrs8l.jpg

Regards-Sonu