Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2016, 12:06   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Touch up paint tubes

Just got delivered Com-paint for my Civic from Amazon. My sunday job is lined up. Lets see how good or bad the paint match is for this alabastar silver shade.

Regards,
Saket
Old 18th September 2016, 15:37   #407
BHPian

Friends,

Any idea about a paint touch up shop in Mumbai, preferably around Santacruz area. Also how much it costs approximately. The scratch is nearly 10 cms long.

Thanks.
Old 19th September 2016, 20:35   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit View Post
Friends,

Any idea about a paint touch up shop in Mumbai, preferably around Santacruz area. Also how much it costs approximately. The scratch is nearly 10 cms long.

Thanks.
Hi do you want a good painter/denter or are you looking to DIY ? I can give you the contact for a good painter near SNDT college.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 20:48   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hi do you want a good painter/denter or are you looking to DIY ? I can give you the contact for a good painter near SNDT college.
I am open for both options. You may pls give the contact.

I have also heard that there are some folks at Milan subway who do an express touch up job. However, do not have any first hand experience.
Old 19th September 2016, 23:20   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am open for both options. You may pls give the contact.

I have also heard that there are some folks at Milan subway who do an express touch up job. However, do not have any first hand experience.
Sent you a PM with the details. No idea about Milan Subway but we have been getting our cars painted from this guy for ages.
Old 23rd October 2016, 23:05   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Just got delivered Com-paint for my Civic from Amazon. My sunday job is lined up. Lets see how good or bad the paint match is for this alabastar silver shade.

Regards,
Saket
I think I should update this thread with my experience of compaint. As quoted, I had purchased a pack of compaint some time ago to be used on the scratched quarter panel of my 'alabastar silver' Civic.
The result: Quite disappointing. In fact, I am staring at a big expense of getting the entire quarter panel re-painted because of the horrible colour mismatch provided by Compaint. The color provided by Compaint was much darker than the OE shade of the car. Plus, they do not provide clear coat with the package, so the even if the paint shade matches, it is never going to look 'normal'.
After this, I decided to remove the entire paint coat of compaint. I found the paint remover 'com-merge' (which is actually for merging the finish) to be the best thing after this entire experience because I could use it to remove the entire com paint. Now, since there was some sanding involved on the original paint, now the result is that I need to get the entire area re-painted at a professional body shop. Though, I used scratch out on the area which did restore some clear coat damage due to sanding, but still far from acceptable. Some pictures if the unsuccessful job:

Touch up paint tubes-image.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Touch up paint tubes-image.jpg  

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th October 2016 at 04:05.
saket77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 07:34   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The result: Quite disappointing. In fact, I am staring at a big expense of getting the entire quarter panel re-painted because of the horrible colour mismatch provided by Compaint.
Sorry to hear, but expected. I have tried a silver finish, and the finish was not great. But in my case, it was a long ( 1.5m) scratch on the roof of my Sumo. I knew the matching was a risk, but since it was on the roof where visibility was not a problem, but the scratch needed to be covered, I went ahead.

On TBHP, I may have seen only one "successful" report of a good match. But I am skeptical of the usability of the product to acceptable levels due to:
1) shade matching
2) user's skills in painting

And to add to this, no clear-coat.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 09:41   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think I should update this thread with my experience of compaint. As quoted, I had purchased a pack of compaint some time ago to be used on the scratched quarter panel of my 'alabastar silver' Civic.
The result: Quite disappointing. In fact, I am staring at a big expense of getting the entire quarter panel re-painted because of the horrible colour mismatch provided by Compaint. The color provided by Compaint was much darker than the OE shade of the car. Plus, they do not provide clear coat with the package, so the even if the paint shade matches, it is never going to look 'normal'.

Attachment 1569921
Pearl white cant be touched up using a single coat of paint. It is very difficult to make a spot paint for this colour since the angle of the spray will make a difference in the way the reflections are shaded. The pearl effect partially comes from the clear coat which has special properties which com paint has not provided. This is a flaw from their end.

Also, one tip while doing touch ups is never paint till the edges of the masked area. It will leave a horrible looking border around the painted area. Instead, mask a wider area, and dont paint till the edge. Next, remove the mask, mask only the non painted parts and spray clear with a slightly larger area. That will blend the paint and not make it look very obvious of a touch up.

That said, I realised that its better to approach a nearby automotive paint shop and get the colour of your car mixed and sprayed as long as its not for a highly visible surface. Com-paint does not come close to the finish these people can get. Have also posted about the same here.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 09:57   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Come to think of it, even when body shops are doing the painting, they double-check the shade matching. Inspite of this, shades sometime still dont match. Considering these, we should not be expecting compaints one-for-all shades to match the paint on our vehicles.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 12:00   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Audioholic: Actually the shade is silver (and not white ). Alabastar silver to be precise.

I was not too much worried about the clear coat absense. If the shade had matched, I would have been glad to spray a clear coat layer by getting it from outside. Now since, the shade I purchased was specifically 'alabastar silver for Honda Civic', then I expected it to be at least close to the OE shade on the car it's meant to be on.
Regarding the paint job, we had achieved a fairly good paint finish save for the clear coat. We filled up the scratched area with the filler provided and sanded it to perfection. It was the shade mismatch which played the spoilsport.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 14:48   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Thanks.
Visited my relatives place in Thane a few days back and he suggested to visit a car paint dealer at GB road. Took the car there and asked him to make the perfect match. The exact shade was not available with him so he called someone (probably the paint distributor for the region) and asked for the formula. I was patiently waiting during all this time. Finally, after waiting for almost 1.5 hrs, he got the formula and made 100 ml paint which matched 100%. After this, I followed the following process.

1. Cleaned the scratched surface completely.

2. Applied first quote of paint with a normal brush, covering the nearby areas with newspaper.

3. Waited for a couple of days for the paint to dry completely.

4. Applied second quote of paint (this quote was thicker than the first one to match the levels of paint)

5. Waited again for a couple of days for the paint to dry.

6. Applied little rubbing compound on the newly painted area and rubbed the surface which gave the paint an even look.

Now, the scratch is 99.99% invisible (unless you look at it from a very close distance) and its absolutely not noticeable to the general public. DIY is successful.
vinit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 17:26   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ Audioholic: Actually the shade is silver (and not white ). Alabastar silver to be precise.

I was not too much worried about the clear coat absense. If the shade had matched, I would have been glad to spray a clear coat layer by getting it from outside. Now since, the shade I purchased was specifically 'alabastar silver for Honda Civic', then I expected it to be at least close to the OE shade on the car it's meant to be on.
Regarding the paint job, we had achieved a fairly good paint finish save for the clear coat. We filled up the scratched area with the filler provided and sanded it to perfection. It was the shade mismatch which played the spoilsport.

Regards.
saket77, anyhow you will get the panel painted. So if you have some paint left wanna give it another try? Looking at the shade mismatch I have a feeling that you need lighter and fewer coats. In your next attempt do the spraying from a little further away from the body panel. Don't linger at any place with the spraying on. Just make quick swipes across the panel from left to right. After each coat give it 30 minutes to dry and see if you need one more coat. My guess is that you may see a far better match if you do that.

Having said that, it is for sure that Com-Paints can only do an approximation of the color but can't match the color completely. Worse still, their color match varies from batch to batch as I discovered to my dismay.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th October 2016 at 17:28.
Zappo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:31   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1569921
Hi!
I think you painted the panel incorrectly.
  1. The way you have masked the panel is incorrect, You should have only masked the door, and the petrol tank lid, and not around the touch up area.
  2. metallic paints have to be layered and feathered at the edges, what i mean by this is, thin layers that overlap the painted areas and slowly merge out
  3. I've use com paint on over 3 different cars with brilliant result.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 19:13   #419
BHPian

The Incident:
Valet guys at my wife's office scrapped the right rear quarter panel, leaving behind deep scratches.

The Showroom:
Quarter panel painting charges Rs.6500/-

Local denting guy near home:
Rs.3500 & will take 2 days to do it.

Com-paint:
I was seriously considering it, since I consider myself having the bug of being a DIY person, and with reasonable results seen in this forum, I was almost gunning for it. But then I didn't like their value pack concept forcing customers to buy everything they don't need. Like for instance, if I have 2 cars with different colors, why would i need 2 value packs ?

Today:
Then I gave it a day and took myself to a popular denting and spraying place in Hyderabad near Lower Tank Bund and got this job done in 55 minutes.

Total Cost : Rs.500.
--
Attached Thumbnails
Touch up paint tubes-collageresize.jpg  

Last edited by Pretorian : 29th April 2017 at 19:16. Reason: Adding picture
Pretorian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 19:22   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
The Incident:
Valet guys at my wife's office scrapped the right rear quarter panel, leaving behind deep scratches.

The Showroom:
Quarter panel painting charges Rs.6500/-

Local denting guy near home:
Rs.3500 & will take 2 days to do it.

Com-paint:
I was seriously considering it, since I consider myself having the bug of being a DIY person, and with reasonable results seen in this forum, I was almost gunning for it. But then I didn't like their value pack concept forcing customers to buy everything they don't need. Like for instance, if I have 2 cars with different colors, why would i need 2 value packs ?

Today:
Then I gave it a day and took myself to a popular denting and spraying place in Hyderabad near Lower Tank Bund and got this job done in 55 minutes.

Total Cost : Rs.500.
--
Can you provide the contact details of this shop near lower tank bund, definitely useful for small scratches as the showroom guys charge a lot for small touch up's too... TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks