Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2006, 14:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Noise Reduction in Ikon

hi guys,
I own an ikon Flair which i had purchased about a month back, and am quite satisfied at the moment. However, i feel that a lot of noise seeps into the car when travelling on not-so-smooth roads. Is there anything which can be done to address the same??

Thanks in advance.

- Benny.
Old 27th November 2006, 21:10   #2

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well thats a problem every ford ikon owner faces and not much can be done about it.ford has sprung the car a little stiff for better handling and on not so smooth roads the noise does make its presence felt.you can decrease the sound a little by putting good rubbers on the rims which have low road noise.the other options are you can turn the music up or put an exhaust can which drowns out the road noise
Old 28th November 2006, 00:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dynamat helps a lot, but is verrrrrrrry expensive. You'll need to cover the entire floor, boot, doors and pillars for full results. Probably the roof too for good measure. A fellow BHPian did a full WURTH (Dynamat alternative, somewhat less costlier) job in his Alto. It ran to 10K.

In case you don't visit the ICE section much, here's a linky: The Official Dynamat Website
Old 28th November 2006, 09:01   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
hi guys,
I own an ikon Flair which i had purchased about a month back, and am quite satisfied at the moment. However, i feel that a lot of noise seeps into the car when travelling on not-so-smooth roads. Is there anything which can be done to address the same??

Thanks in advance.

- Benny.
Hi,

Get a underchasis treatment doen by a poduct from Weurth called Stone Chip Guard(not sure if I have the name correct). It is has a rubberised Butyl formula and is pretty effective. Dynamat and other sound damping products are better for the interiors of the car IMO.

Viper
Old 28th November 2006, 10:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh yes, viper. I got this done for my Palio long back, during the 1st service. I don't remember the exact name either. It is probably WURTH. The product was called RockKote or something like that, I guess.

Dynamat actually does a real good job of insulating the cabin from outside sound (in addition to damping in-cabin vibrations). But unless one takes full advantage with kickass ICE, the full value for the money spent is not realised.
Old 28th November 2006, 16:43   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Even my ikon produces those type of noise..

Also my car produces a noise similar to an inside of a aircraft..What could it be?? wind noise or engine noise??
Old 28th November 2006, 16:47   #7
BANNED

Hey SRK,

In all probabilities the sound you are referring to could be either tyre noise or wind noise.

Viper
Old 29th November 2006, 00:09   #8
BHPian

Even my Baleno Altura makes a lot of tyre noise,despite all those '13 advance noise reducing techs'
Old 29th November 2006, 02:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33 View Post
Even my Baleno Altura makes a lot of tyre noise,despite all those '13 advance noise reducing techs'
Well the obvious solution there is to upgrade to better tyres which make less road noise.
Old 29th November 2006, 14:37   #10
BHPian

Hi iraghava,tyres are stock 13" bridgestones.I have same 165/70/R13's on my santro as well,but there is virtually no noise.Both set of tyres are appx.35000 km old.
Old 29th November 2006, 16:26   #11
BHPian

Hi all....I have a 3 month old Ikon Flair...and face the same problem... want your advise about changing tyres... would like to upgrade to lower profile14 inchers from the stock high profile 13 inchers...wud need a good set of alloys too...am a little scared about lower profile tyres, anyways the car has a stiff suspension...wont it worsen the ride further? could you let me know what should be the ideal tyre upgrade(size, brand,price)... I want to do a lot with my car...aesthtically and internally but would like to start from the tyre/alloys and air filter/free flow exhaust..
Old 29th November 2006, 17:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33 View Post
Hi iraghava,tyres are stock 13" bridgestones.I have same 165/70/R13's on my santro as well,but there is virtually no noise.Both set of tyres are appx.35000 km old.
Well that's strange I really don't know what to say here if both of your cars run the same size tyres & one is noisier than the other. Are you sure its purely road noise??? Baleno should thoretically be better than the Santro in that department.

Also the Baleno should be having 165/80 R13's & should be running on Bridgestone S248's by default. Did you change the tyres by any chance?

However since your tyres have done 35k & should be up for replacement soon I would advise you look at some other brands which have tyres which make less road noise.

Last edited by iraghava : 29th November 2006 at 17:27.
Old 29th November 2006, 17:31   #13
BHPian

Could be worn out wheel bearings ?? Maybe Viper can comment
Old 29th November 2006, 19:39   #14
SRK
Senior - BHPian

How to select the right tyres for your car??
I mean Viper bhai says it may be tyre noise..But how to select a tyre that produces less noise...You cant test different tyres..So it means you need to be depended upon someone elses review...
So how about starting a tyre review thread..(dont know if it exists)
Old 29th November 2006, 19:57   #15
BANNED

Hey SRK,

I said maybe, anyways can only diagnoise correctly after physically seeing the car. Could also be wheel bearings as Rchimni said.

Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
How to select the right tyres for your car??
I mean Viper bhai says it may be tyre noise..But how to select a tyre that produces less noise...You cant test different tyres..So it means you need to be depended upon someone elses review...
So how about starting a tyre review thread..(dont know if it exists)

Most Viewed