Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2004, 01:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I am not at all happy with the tires in my car.the skinny 145/80r12 help in improving the ride quality over the previous 13 inch tires,but at the expense of handling.
I am planning to go for a new set of tubeless tires with alloy rims.if I go for anything wider ,the tires could foul with the body and also the speedo reading would change.
So to keep the speedo reading unchanged,I plan to put 145/70r13 on the front ,and 155/65 r13 on the rear.both the tires have the same OD.
I know this would require me to keep two sets of spare tires,so I can keep the extra tire on the dicky door ,like in SUV’s.
Will it affect the handling of the car.or will any suspension component get affected due to these changes.
I had written about this to ACI,OD a long time back.but did no get any reply.have written again.
Does anyone have any idea .
speedsatya
Old 16th September 2004, 01:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Also i have found a person who cud gimme a spoiler.he is the one who supplies to almost everyone who do the body mods.and I will be getting it almost dirt cheap rate.—less than half of what it is being sold for i.e at exactly the same rate that these people get it for. .
It is the same spoiler seen on the zen in the advertisement for Carmordernise in this months ACI or OD,I cannot remember.but I feel it looks real bad on the zen in the picture .
So I have planned to install it on my dicky door maybe below the wiper and a little away from the body or on the dicky door like the old peugeot WRC car.i feel it cud look cool,very different.
I know it is going to create a drag .
Will the FE figures go down drastically.
Will this drag affect my top speed.
If it is really performance affecting ,the I will not go for it.

speedsatya
Old 17th September 2004, 16:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

can any1 help ??

satya
Old 17th September 2004, 19:45   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Speedsatya,

Sorry for the late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
So to keep the speedo reading unchanged,I plan to put 145/70r13 on the front ,and 155/65 r13 on the rear.both the tires have the same OD.
This is pointless. A FWD car like the Zen needs more grip at the front than the rear. Stick to same size front and back for a variety of reasons.

Check out this article from the Indiacar Infobank that had also appeared in an autocar. Though they recommend a 185 size, I would stick to a 155. I know someone who had problems with skinning on 165s too.

Again on the spoiler, it will be purely for looks. Dont expect any positive handling changes out of an after market one size fits all.

GTO
Old 17th September 2004, 21:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess 155s are the best for Zen.Stick to them.
As for the spoiler,as GTO mentioned its purely looks and no performance.A spoiler comes into use only if you drive at a specific speed like 120+(which in mumbai is a dream).
If you wanna go in for the looks,its considered as a option.
But do not expect any improvement in your performance.It might even drop a bit.
Cya.
Old 18th September 2004, 03:38   #6
BHPian

Hey speedsatya,
I too suggest you go for the same tyre size for front and back. A friend of mine runs 165/60/13 on the
zen without any problem. by the way can you give me the guy's no for the spoiler as i also need one for my car.
XtremeG
Old 19th September 2004, 17:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (XtremeG @ Sep. 18 2004,02:08)]Hey speedsatya,
I too suggest you go for the same tyre size for front and back. A friend of mine runs 165/60/13 on the
zen without any problem. by the way can you give me the guy's no for the spoiler as i also need one for my car.
XtremeG
the number is 9892725455.his name is mineel.has got a workshop in mulund.he is the one who supplies to almost everyone in mumbai and also to others outside also.
he is not registered here ,but have told him to.till then u can say ur my friend and talk to him.u shud b able to get it almost dirt cheap price as compared to wat others sell it for.
speedsatya
Old 19th September 2004, 17:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (XtremeG @ Sep. 18 2004,02:08)]Hey speedsatya,
zen without any problem.
thanks guys,
the 165 size tire is too wide for a zen as it fouls in the front when turning and also in the rear when 2 people sit.
also the grnd clearance is reduced.
so i am left with the 155/65 r13 of the wagonr vxi .

also i have dropped my spoiler plans as it wud require me to drill a hole .there is no way i am gonna do that.i can bear a hole on my body ,but never on my car.
so all that reamins is getting alloys.
so wud post photos as soon i put it.

cya,
satya
Old 18th October 2004, 23:34   #9

hmmm... iam pretty late here but i want to share some info.... My zen is now fitted with 165/60 R 13 Bridgestone Potenzas AND alloys.

i put on the 165s before the alloys i.e on the standard rims. This tyres did not foul with the body either while turning or with heavy rear passengers.

Then , i put on the alloys , which have resulted in the tyres coming out a bit , hence they do foul with the fender at the rear when there are passengers ( HUGE PROBLEM,ur heart bleeds for the tyres) .

I had to increase the rear ride height by more than 2 inches ( cost about 1500 bucks) even now , they touch the body but only VERY rarely if you take bouncy roads at high speeds with full load( occurs abt 2-3 times a month).

PS: Does my cars speedometer now show more than the previous(original tyres) speed or less?? thanx

Bye
mayur
Old 19th October 2004, 01:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (mayur @ Oct. 18 2004,22:04)]I

PS: Does my cars speedometer now show more than the previous(original tyres) speed or less?? thanx
hey mayur,
i had written to maruti and they had advised that anything wider than 145 will foul with the body on the RHS.
also 165/60 has more or less similar OD.but ur ride ht.is reduced.
Old 19th October 2004, 02:33   #11
BHPian

Hi speedsatya I have started a topic in Off topic regarding modified cars , check it out man we need guys like u in the club

Most Viewed