Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 1st May 2018, 08:24   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Pete's Tuned VW Polo GT TSI - A Little Hot Hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip.Mathew View Post
Yes you are absolutely right with regard to the Brembo black pads. Several of my friends had similar experiences with the Brembo black pads, also the Brembo Slotted Rotors were troublesome for many.
Hey Philip, any feedback on EBC brake rotors and pads. umparts dot in guy down south is quoting 15k for the rotors. I didn't check about the pads. I did google them and they seem to be quite good but I couldn't find anyone using them out here. They are definitely not cheap and my guess is pads would cost another 5k at least. Attaching a photo he sent me. Any feedback/review you can retrieve on them would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Pete's Tuned VW Polo GT TSI - A Little Hot Hatch!-img20180411wa0018.jpg  

Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 09:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Hi. I have faced same issues with my brakes on 2016 GT TSI. and I think the only option is to upgrade the brakes. Pls share experience and cost of brembo and if you would recommend something else. Also advise if it has any affect on the ABS or warranty. I am in Pune now and would be looking for the same around here. What should one look out for while evaluating an upgrade.
Well, the Brembo Drilled Rotors and red pads are a good upgrade but I’ve been told that the Brembo red pads aren’t available now. The upgrade will depend on your budget, it won’t have any trouble with your ABS but warranty will depend on the particular dealership and your relationship with your service advisor at the dealership. Generally, they are fine with you using aftermarket brakes, atleast in my case as they say it’s a wearable part. There are several options, tried and tested ones on my list currently are Tarox G88 Rotors + stock pads, Brembo Drilled Rotors + Red Pads. The black diamonds I’ll get a proper feedback this week from my friend who’s using them now. I’ll be doing a brake change soon as my Brembo pads are on their way out now, so will update here what setup I’ll be getting next soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hey Philip, any feedback on EBC brake rotors and pads. umparts dot in guy down south is quoting 15k for the rotors. I didn't check about the pads. I did google them and they seem to be quite good but I couldn't find anyone using them out here. They are definitely not cheap and my guess is pads would cost another 5k at least. Attaching a photo he sent me. Any feedback/review you can retrieve on them would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Aston,

I’m currently taking a look at them as well, Ashish had send them to me as well. EBC is a renowned brand worldwide and they’d be worth a try but stocks will come only in another month or two. My friend has used EBC rotors and pads on his 320d and the setup was good, no complains. The EBC pads won’t fit on our type 2 calipers, so we’ll have to do with black diamond pads or Brembo or stock pads. These Slotted rotors tend to wear down the pads faster so honestly I’d try it with the stock pads first till it’s bed in, followed by an upgrade in pads depending on the wear of the pads on the slotted rotor. I don’t think these EBC Slotted Rotors will wear down pads like the Tarox G88 but we’ll have to try them out and see first. It’s just sad how the Indian polo’s have very few brake pads to choose from because of the type 2 calipers that were primarily designed for the TVS pads.

I’ve picked up Brembo DOT 5.1 brake fluid as my car’s due for a brake fluid change, will update on how they are, luckily I was able to get brand new stock of the DOT 5.1 brake fluid, they’re ‘Made in Italy’ as well. It’s always better to get new stock of brake fluid as the longer these fluids sit around the more moisture they’ll absorb as they’re stored in plastic containers, this moisture will reduce the boiling point temperature of the fluid. Attaching a photo of the Brembo DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid below.
Attached Thumbnails
Pete's Tuned VW Polo GT TSI - A Little Hot Hatch!-7199fddfa25147db9935dd554e61d3f3.jpeg  

Philip.Mathew is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 01:43   #33
BHPian

Hi Phillips!
Just when you think that the GT TSI mod craze has subdued, up comes a superb thread like yours. Congrats ! Welcome to the club. Enjoy the beauty. May I know how much did the 57s Airbox cost and where did you buy it from? Is it compatible with BMC replacement filter ?
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 15:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Hi Phillips!
Just when you think that the GT TSI mod craze has subdued, up comes a superb thread like yours. Congrats ! Welcome to the club. Enjoy the beauty. May I know how much did the 57s Airbox cost and where did you buy it from? Is it compatible with BMC replacement filter ?
Hi Rajesh,

Thank you! Have replied to your DM. It's a brilliant little car with a lot of aftermarket support making it simple and straightforward to mod.
Philip.Mathew is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 23:29   #35
BHPian

An Update: MST Performance Short Ram Intake Kit

I have been testing out this Intake kit from MST Performance since January. I came across the intake while browsing the internet and MST had this kit listed for the 122hp 1.4L TFSI engine in the Audi lineup. This engine has the same intake design and mounting as the 1.2L TSI so I dropped MST an email and ordered a set to test out for the 1.2L TSI. It's similar to the Forge short ram intake kit for the 1.2L TSI but unlike the Forge kit, the MST kit comes with a heat shield so its more effective in our climate.

The Kit comprises of:
  • Heat Shield: bolts on top of the stock airbox.
  • Air Filter: Dry type filter that clamps to the air inlet pipe with the help of the pipe piece provided.
Name:  MST.png
Views: 1884
Size:  1.03 MB

Installation:

It is a simple DIY installation, where the top of the airbox has to be removed and the air filter comes out with the top. In my case the K&N 57s filter comes out with the top of the airbox and the K&N 57s airbox remains below.

Pete's Tuned VW Polo GT TSI - A Little Hot Hatch!-img_1745.jpg

Pete's Tuned VW Polo GT TSI - A Little Hot Hatch!-img_1749.jpg

Followed by bolting of the MST Heat Shield on top of the airbox. This would bolt on fine on the stock airbox but since I had the K&N 57s airbox already installed I bolted on the heat shield on top of the K&N 57s airbox and it was a perfect fit and all bolts aligned fine.

Pete's Tuned VW Polo GT TSI - A Little Hot Hatch!-img_1746.jpg

Next, the MST filter has to be clamped on with the help of the pipe piece provided and the stock intake pipe clamp and has to tightened and positioned inside the heat shield.

Pete's Tuned VW Polo GT TSI - A Little Hot Hatch!-img_2687.jpg

That's it, the installation is complete. It's as simple as taking out the air filter for cleaning and I can revert back to the lovely 57s Intake by taking off the heat shield & filter and putting back the top of the airbox and the K&N 57s filter.

Initial Impression:

The MST heat-shield has a rubber beading around the top and this seals shut with the hood to pretty much close up the short ram intake. The heat shield is open to the 57s Airbox sitting below and continue to supply intake air through the stock intake piping upto the front grille via the euro spec air channel guide. So it utilises the stock intake route efficiently as well.

The first thing that went through my mind right after installing it was whether the heat shield would be effective in keeping the IAT down. We revved the car and the intake sounded sweet and it growls when you let off the throttle, I really hoped it wasn't too loud with the hood down though.

My friend and I took the car out for a spin right after the installation, we had some superb ghat roads around us at that time as we had installed the intake while we were in Idukki (a hilly district in Kerala). My friend drove the car first while I was keeping track of the IAT. I really couldn't see it changing much as the weather in Idukki is a lot cooler and temps. remained relatively stable after the engine had warmed up. So, the heat shield seemed like it was working good and that was out of my mind. The initial response I got from my friend was mixed, he loved the intake noise but complained that it had gotten a lot softer courtesy of the hood sealing off the heat shield (I personally found the sound to be just right and not irritating, which was a relief for me). He said the car felt relatively same as before with the 57s intake. Even I felt the same after driving back and we concluded that the ECU would need some time to adjust to the new intake and its airflow. So we stopped thinking about the intake and started enjoying the drive in the ghat roads and we just couldn't get over the go-kart like dynamics coupled with the paddle shifters!

Once I was back home, I slowly started feeling the differences from the intake. I could feel improvements in the top end of the rev band but I felt the lower end throttle response to have reduced when compared to the 57s intake kit. This small reduction in initial throttle response is characteristic to the short ram style intake when it begins to pull in air. I decided to continue using the kit despite the drop in the initial throttle response as I enjoyed the vast improvements in the mid range - top end of the rev band. The initial throttle response did improve over time as the ECU seemed to have adjusted to the intake and when ambient temps are lower but I felt it wasn't as quick as the response with the 57s airbox alone.

Video of the intake sound:
(you can notice clearly the K&N 57s airbox below the MST heat shield)

Impression over the past 5 months:

I pretty much used this intake from end of winter and through summer and now its the beginning of monsoon here in Kerala and I'm still using it. For a fact I'm enjoying it the most right now. Over the past 5 month I felt the difference in ambient temp. seems to have a greater effect on performance with this intake kit, whereas with the 57s intake it was more stable throughout.

I also logged the IAT over the peak summer time and in the afternoons I could see that the heat shield pretty much gives up, or hot air seems to enter via the beading on top of the heat shield as it seals with the hood and the IAT shoots up. But thats only in peak summer afternoons and you can feel a drop in overall performance from the engine. At night and early morning its a completely different story! Oh boy, the car pretty much transforms, throttle feels so much sharper, even the low end improves and the mid-range and high end has a drastic improvement.

More than the winter here in Kerala, its cooler throughout the day during monsoon. Its been raining heavily for the past two weeks and I have been checking for any signs of water around the heat shield or filter and its dry as ever. The intake feels the strongest now in the monsoon and the vast improvement in performance isn't only limited to early mornings or nights like in summer but it lasts the whole day! Only sad part is that the roads aren't dry so you can't fully enjoy it.

I've thoroughly enjoyed using the MST Performance short ram intake and the design is brilliant, making the most of the stock intake routing & piping. I can only dream of how well this intake would perform in a place where the ambient temps are low and stable throughout the day but for typical Indian conditions and for the 1.2L TSI I would prefer using it only over the cooler months. Its much better than the forge short ram intake considering our conditions because of the heat shield and it sounds just perfect with the hood down. The improvement in the mid range and the top end of the rev band have been the highlight and when the ambient temp. drops it performs good in the lower end of the rev band as well.

Last edited by ampere : 13th June 2018 at 07:16. Reason: Typo fixed
Philip.Mathew is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 13:01   #36
BHPian

Great mod again Philip! What I like about your mods are that all are performance oriented/functional/mechanical upgrades and none of those creature comfort and looks mods that I am not a big fan of.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote