Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2006, 13:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R Spare wheel on Trunk Lid

I have a Wagon R Lxi Duo. The spare wheel is awkwardly placed inside the trunk since the spare wheel well occupies the LPG tank.

Where can I get a kit to fix the spare wheel on the outside of the trunk lid? Also, I noticed that the Wagon R trunk lid has 2 powerful telecsopic dampers. So I am assuming that the weight of the wheel on the trunk lid (especially an alloy wheel) should still allow the trunk lid to function normally, and not sag due to the extra weight of the wheel. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 3rd December 2006, 03:47   #2
BANNED

Well!
Haven't tried it but I've seen one with this job in Bangalore.
Check with Autopsyche for the feasibility.

You can also look for a carryboy kit for the same. I think It comes with a ladder too. Upar kabhi Subwoofer lagana ho! Kaam aayega

Last edited by speedzak : 3rd December 2006 at 03:49.
Old 3rd December 2006, 07:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest not to put it on the boot lid. The boot lid will become too heavy and may not open up fully. You'll have to hold it up if you need access to the boot.
Maybe you can see if theres any better way to keep it in the boot since it's default position is very funny at some angle.
Old 3rd December 2006, 08:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are trying to emulate the SUV's, then pls remember that the SUV's rear door is re-inforced to take the additional load. This is not the case with other vehicles that do not have the spare wheel fitted on the rear door.
Old 3rd December 2006, 09:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Why not look at the roof - adapt a roof rack to securely lock a wheel on it
Old 3rd December 2006, 10:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

WagonR Spare Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you are trying to emulate the SUV's, then pls remember that the SUV's rear door is re-inforced to take the additional load. This is not the case with other vehicles that do not have the spare wheel fitted on the rear door.
Sheet metal used in WagonR is not designed to carry the sapre wheel.A good roof carrier (aerodynamically styled) with the wheel in it would help.
Old 3rd December 2006, 11:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Why not look at the roof - adapt a roof rack to securely lock a wheel on it
This option is the most practial one.....
Old 3rd December 2006, 18:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Q1. Where can I buy the roof kit for planting the spare wheel?

Q2. I have seen the spare wheel on trunk lids of Wagon Rs. Since most have been drive-by sightings, I'm not sure about the integrity of the same, but it looked kinda neat. Will reinforcing the dampers not help?

Either way, it is imperative for me to get that stupid spare wheel from that stock location to accomodate a trunk full of subs (uh, for a Wagon R, that would mean 2 x 12"s). In the event of a flat I would drive on the rims, rather than choose to have an impotent sound system.
Old 3rd December 2006, 23:13   #9
Team-BHP Support

Also B&T, think about alloys since they are lighter. This will be better option for roof as well the door option.
Old 4th December 2006, 01:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Q2. I have seen the spare wheel on trunk lids of Wagon Rs. Since most have been drive-by sightings, I'm not sure about the integrity of the same, but it looked kinda neat. Will reinforcing the dampers not help?
No the reinforcements will not help much. The sheet metal of the WagonR is quite thin & mounting a spare wheel on the boot door will only lead to rattles & unwanted noises in the long term. Also I have my doubts that the dampers would be able to hold the additional weight & keep the door open. Plus, it looks too boy-racerish. Avoid going down this route, since as much as people might try to convince you, this modification makes you look like a tasteless tosser at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Either way, it is imperative for me to get that stupid spare wheel from that stock location to accomodate a trunk full of subs (uh, for a Wagon R, that would mean 2 x 12"s). In the event of a flat I would drive on the rims, rather than choose to have an impotent sound system.
Well then get yourself a couple of extra tubes, an Air pump & tubeless tyres to make this work out better. You have a puncture fill in air with the fuel pump to get to the next tyre repair spot. Or better still do a creative install in the car to also impress future customers & leave space for the spare tyre.
Old 5th December 2006, 05:11   #11
BANNED

I've seen lots & lots of Indicas having spare tyre fitted on the Trunk door, and it looks pretty neat. Although I don't know more about any troubles(if any) associated with it.
Old 5th December 2006, 16:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
No the reinforcements will not help much. The sheet metal of the WagonR is quite thin & mounting a spare wheel on the boot door will only lead to rattles & unwanted noises in the long term. Also I have my doubts that the dampers would be able to hold the additional weight & keep the door open. Plus, it looks too boy-racerish. Avoid going down this route, since as much as people might try to convince you, this modification makes you look like a tasteless tosser at best.
Well, nothing could convince me to go against current plans as much as those two words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Or better still do a creative install in the car to also impress future customers & leave space for the spare tyre.
That seems like a better option. Let me see what can be done on those lines. Thanks for the help all, really appreciate it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks