Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 12:40   #1

Accord - HIDs

Hello,

I have questions about HID's (Xenon Lamps). I read through a couple of posts on the forum but I am not able to understand much. Perhaps someone may care to help me out.

I have a Honda Accord. I want to use HID in the Head Lamps.

My questions:

1. Would the current default Halogen lamps also exists and there would be a different button to activate the xenon lamps in low beam.

2. SOmeone told me that if I install HIDs in either low or high beam, then the existing halogen will have to go. So it would be Xenon for low beam and halogen for high beam as per my preference. My concern is that I cannot drive with xenon the whole time as it is illegal in Bombay and it causes lot of distraction to the opposite traffic.

3. Another suggestion provided to me was to fit the xenon in the fog lamps slot. is it advisable? Would it give a good amount of light as compared to the head lamps slot?

4. How much do good HIDs cost and where do I buy them from? Which is a good shop to install it?

5. How do i ensure that i do not end up violating the warranty.

Thanks and looking forward to gaining some knowledge on this topic.

Best,
Mihir
Old 4th December 2006, 15:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Mihir,
First, Xenons are not illegal in mumbai.
Your entire headlamp will have to be changed, you might void warranty.
I will let the experts answer the rest....
Old 5th December 2006, 13:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Your existing halogen bulbs will come off and be replaced by the xenon bulbs.

You can install xenons in your present headlamp unit itself. For low beam you will require a 9005 Bulb Kit and for the high beam you will require a 9006 Bulb Kit.

Arush
Old 6th December 2006, 12:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mihir,
thanks for the set of questions. I was about to start this HID and there it was. I would like to add a few more related to HID.
a. Can we use an imported kit. If so, which model/make. They seem to define it with respect to the car model available in their market (i am trying to get from the USA). I am looking for OHC.
b. I assume the low beam conversion kit is enough for all the purposes. I couldn't find a kit for high beam.
c. Could anyone suggest the model for OHC like the one you named for the Accrod?
d. Can we DIY this kit as the diagrams are provided with the kit?

found this link on web and found useful.
HID XENON HEADLIGHT CONVERSION KITS

Regds,
Mahesh.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

kutlee for the OHC you need a H4 HID Kit. Now the complex part is that all xenons in europe and usa are a single point bulb type, but the H4 that your car uses has both high and low beam in the same bulb. You would need to purchase an H4 kit with both Hi and Low with a motor fitted inside the bulb assembly which moves it back and forth for the different projections. These kits are mostly available in S.E.Asia/China/Taiwan. The other option is to go for a twin beam H4 which is even more expensive because it will have two ballasts with each bulb.

When making the purchase just make sure your H4 Kit is both Hi & Low.
Old 6th December 2006, 14:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mihir
You can refer the following thread .. the name is slightly misleading so you may have missed it. It talks about xenon bulbs in reflexive vs. projector setups. The Accord has also been cited as an example.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...t-failure.html

@Sahil : Xenons are illegal unless they are in a projector setup - refer above thread.
Old 6th December 2006, 14:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Xenons are illegal unless they are in a projector setup
I dont think so........
Old 6th December 2006, 15:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

H4 high-low kits have a disadvantage. You cannot flash to overtake during the day, because HIDs have a warm-up time. Buy a set with HID low and halogen high. Someone is selling them in India for 16k with a one-year warranty and install. I think it's worth it.
Old 6th December 2006, 15:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

But how can it be possible? H4 itself will take the whole healight assy space. doesn't it? then where can we put an extra halogen high beam bulb? do you say that the bilb itself has an extra fiilament other than the discharge (electrode?) ?
Old 6th December 2006, 16:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the bulb assembly has dual filaments. Well, only one, since the HID lamp has no filament, per se.

Also, I wouldn't advise an HID setup unless you have already installed projector housings. The HID light is pretty useless without good focus, and that's something only projectors can provide.
Old 6th December 2006, 17:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

thats informative. How can i install a projector? Is the stock housing of projector type?
Old 6th December 2006, 17:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
thats informative. How can i install a projector? Is the stock housing of projector type?
No, the stock is NOT projector type.

A projector setup for the Accord costs about 20 odd thousand bucks. Plus another 15-20 for the HID's.

Those lights are discussed in detail on the official modded Accord thread. A quick search should throw it up for you.

If you are interested in buying them, you may contact Autopsyche, he'll definately be having those.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks