Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2004, 02:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
i have been using a k&n filter since the last 2.5 years and have been very happy with thge performance.i normally try an davoid using my car during rains ,but this time since i have been using it regularly i just removed my k&n and fitted back the original filter as i felt water cud get splashed from under the bonnet while running the car,
guess wat the performance had dropped,the free flow has become mild.

but my fuel consumption has decreased.i.e my mileage has increased.earlier i used to get around 13-14kpl in city without ac with my filter and free flow and very high revving gear changes at 3000+rpm so that everyone cud hear my exhaust.
now with 4000+rpm gear changes ,i got 15.33kpl without ac ,which involved racing with honda city at 140-150 kph on the highway and at constant speeds of 100+kph .that is terrific .this speaks for the the superbb free flow .

i wanted to know if anyone else had their mileage drop after fitting the k&n filter.
i am still going to fit it back after the rains ,as the drop in performance is noticable.
Old 9th August 2004, 13:07   #17
BHPian

i lost about 1 km after fitting the k&n
Old 10th September 2004, 17:56   #18

guys cud u help me out... need a K&N for my city 1.5exi 2000 model.

located in bbay... hv contacted methodsonline... but reading ur xperiences ... dont c any hope

pls mail in poss kunalnagar@fastmail.fm

Thnx
Old 13th September 2004, 01:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

there are many people who sell k&n in mumbai.
automech,KS motorsports and s600benz are some of them.
Old 10th November 2004, 14:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I have quite a few friends who have fitted K&N filters bought from Methods Online.
But I was shocked to see these filters put inside the same plastic casing that the stock filter comes in.i.e these are neither conical nor the universal type.its the same as ur normal filter except that the material is the pinkish K&N type.
The actual practice is to remove the black colored stock filter cover and fit the K&N in its place keeping it open,so that it can draw more air.
So ,what I wanna know is,will these filters help at all,if its enclosed in the air filter cover .as the air entering the filters through the cover will be the same as the original filter.
I saw it in a fellow member’s Viva.and a carb Zen.

Satya.
Old 10th November 2004, 14:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey Satya
Well, had you looked under the hood of my carb zen, you'd get shocked there too.
What my take here is that though air coming to the filter in this case is the same as for normal filter, still there is some improvement (4% - 5% as per the dealers) in performance as the air exiting from the filter is more for a K&N filter than for the stock filter.
Again, as per the dealer, getting rid of the stock air filter box will increase performance by 8% to 10%.
By the way, for the carb zen, there are steel plates available to replace the box. these are parallel circular plates with the filter between them. The filter thus gets exposed 360 degs and air intake increases. I was planning to get this done today but the Methods One dealers here are out of stock
Have enquired at another place. The guy should be calling me back anytime now.

Amitoj
Old 10th November 2004, 16:51   #22
Team-BHP Support

one thing that comes to mind, wont exposing the air filter inside the bay make it pull the HOT air in, and wont a pod with piping better option? or one which sits inside the stock air filter box?
Old 10th November 2004, 17:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Dang jus when i got the stock filter box replaced, Jaggu dada has implanted this heavy doubt into my head.
Whats ur take on this Satya? Dom?
Old 10th November 2004, 17:44   #24
Team-BHP Support

oops sorry for that, always ran in my mind.. but i guess its not that big a concern coz i have seen loads of cars with the same filters u mentioned run fine and we are not fortunate to have proper test beds to find the small % diff they cause.. so enjoy the intake growwwwllllllllllllll......
Old 10th November 2004, 17:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Phew, thanks for taking the load off, Jaggu. By the way, its more like a snake's hisssssss now than a growwwwwl. I need to a free flow exhaust to get the growl.
Old 10th November 2004, 18:15   #26
Team-BHP Support

clean ya carbs and make sure the secondary circuit is working n u sure will get the growl also
Old 11th November 2004, 01:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Jaggu @ Nov. 10 2004,14:21)]one thing that comes to mind, wont exposing the air filter inside the bay make it pull the HOT air in, and wont a pod with piping better option? or one which sits inside the stock air filter box?
maybe during the afternoons when everything is hot the performance may drop in the case of an exposed k&n as the hot air from the engine may be drawn by the filter.
comparatively during the nights or during early mornings the performance may improve.
but what i wann aknow is will the stock filter replacement that Methods is selling ,actually help in improving performance.
mine has the exposed filter that everyone had been using till Methods came into the picture.it has helped in getting more taakat
to my car.

satya
Old 13th November 2004, 14:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, u were right about the growl. its more noticeable at higher revs.
Old 11th July 2007, 16:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Is K&N air filter available for NHC?
Any user experiencece of the same?
Old 11th July 2007, 23:51   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Anand I am pretty sure you can get a replacement K&N filter for your NHC. I am afraid I have no reviews for it, I neither have the filter, nor the car.

You've dug up a 3 year old thread, though

Most Viewed