Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2006, 22:16   #1
sAP
BHPian

Opel Corsa SAIL handling wierd lately

Allright, now this started as a little issue but it seems to be getting a little compounded as each day goes by. The issue is that on high speed, my car tilts to the left and right a little too much than what seems necessary. By tilt, I don't mean that the car is pulling to the left or to the right, but that it's body rolls. The car is always maintaining a straight line (no vibrations or wheel wobble) while it goes about doing this. The vehicle is a 2004 Opel Corsa SAIL 1.4L.

I have had the vehicle checked at an Opel dealership couple of times and these are some of the observations:
  • There are no leaks in the dampers (shocks)
  • No dislocation of any of the spring seatings and no worn plates
  • No bends in the suspension system (lower arms, control arms, joints, tie rods, antiroll bar, bushings, rear beams) on a visual underbody inspection
  • There is no excessive sag on any side when the vehicle is parked
  • Tires do not exhibit any abnormal wear patterns
  • This awkward handling behavior started to happen recently and did not exist before
The dealership mechanics find it difficult to identify the problem. I also re-aligned and balanced my wheels, just in case.

I am considering replacing my dampers (shocks) in the front. But I am not sure if that is going to solve the problem. Or whether its stuff at the rear I need to replace or something else altogether.

Anybody faced this kind of issue before?

sAP
Old 6th December 2006, 23:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats an inherent problem with the Corsa,Sooraj.
Its suspension is on the softer side and its body ROLLS on corners.
Islero's dad drives a corsa and its a boat too.
Old 6th December 2006, 23:23   #3
BHPian

Try your OE wheels .........50% due to wheels ...I had 2 Octavia with similar problem at high speed car tends to move left and right.

Regards,
PJ
Old 6th December 2006, 23:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

It also happens because of using higher pressure than the recommended.Did u check this factor out?
Old 7th December 2006, 18:08   #5
sAP
BHPian

Introspection

Hi guys: Appreciate your responses. Here's what I am thinking.

Nitrous: I wasn't talking about cornering roll, but straight-line roll. And no, I did not have this problem in the past 30 months until quite recently. So this is not an inherent problem.

humyum: I have ruled the pressure factor out. I always monitor and keep it under check with my personal dial-type pressure guage. Besides, there is no abnormal tread wear pattern (see observations).

PJSPEED: I swapped out my alloys for OE wheels for testing sometime ago (see post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/308590-post63.html). But I will swap them out again and give it another go one of these days (*I'd hate to have to sell my 2nd alloy wheel set*).

So are you all suggesting that I rule out changing dampers altogether? Or anyone have any more ideas?

sAP
Old 7th December 2006, 19:54   #6
sAP
BHPian

Typo error on link

PJSPEED: This is the OE wheel post I was referring to: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/308590-post63.html
Old 10th December 2006, 23:49   #7
sAP
BHPian

Shocking updates

Well, got my front shocks changed yesterday. Replaced them with new ACDelco gas struts -- which are GM original replacements
Gas-Charged Shocks and Struts | Parts Information | ACDelco.

Now, here is a pic of my old 2 front shocks. As you can see, they can't have been working in unison. The pic was taken after both shocks were compressed fully and then released. After about 30 seconds, this is how they came to rest. As you can see, the one on the left does not return to the same position as the one on the right.

(Click the image to enlarge it)

Now watch this: My 9 year old son was able to compress the shock on the left down to the bottom with one hand. He was not able to do so with the other, though he was able to push it down to some extent.

Now the wierd body sway has gone. However, there is still some *wandering* happening even after a realignment with the new shocks. Will post more updates as they happen.

sAP

Last edited by sAP : 10th December 2006 at 23:52.
Old 13th December 2006, 00:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
still some *wandering* happening even after a realignment with the new shocks
time to get a Strut brace ???

I have experienced something similar with our older Corsa. The roll is gone after struts were replaced but a little bit of wandering is present - mostly experienced at speeds 80 -90KMPH on the expressway.

Any idea about strut braces for corsa ?? Someone told me that they wont fit, as there's very less space ( vertical ) between the bonnet and the engine bay to accomodate a strut brace.
Old 13th December 2006, 16:13   #9
sAP
BHPian

Possible worn ball joint

My hunch is that its a worn ball joint on the front. ACdelco seems to be suggesting that in their online shocks quiz: ACDelco - Tech Quizzes .

And in my case I suspect its the left front ball joint (since my left front wheel almost came off once after my lugs detorqued at the MMSC racetrack)

sAP

Some additional references:
Ball Joint - Tie Rod - Lower Ball Joint - Replacement Tie Rod End - Inner Tie Rod
Ball Joints and Your Car's Suspension System

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks