Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2005, 11:39   #46
BANNED

What exactly is a high performance exhaust, and how does it fit into the whole free flow exhaust scheme. Someone offered to do my Lancer freeflow for 12k and then suggested a high performance exhaust for an additional 6k to get the full effect.

Since I was expecting to get the whole kit with the free flow, this new thing has got me curious.

Can anybody explain?
Old 1st September 2005, 11:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
What exactly is a high performance exhaust, and how does it fit into the whole free flow exhaust scheme. Someone offered to do my Lancer freeflow for 12k and then suggested a high performance exhaust for an additional 6k to get the full effect.

He's ripping you off..both things mean the same, unless our local tuners-cum-bean-counters have come up with some new marketing trick to fool people....18k is a bit too much for an exhaust system, IMHO....my systems get built for under 1.5k, but thats just me
Old 1st September 2005, 12:42   #48
BANNED

Hey,
You get a lancer free flow for approx 8 k in Mumbai. WHat he is charging 6k extra is for an imported stainless steel rear muffler only. The only thing that does is make a louder noise and is a lot larger.

viper
Old 1st September 2005, 13:11   #49
BANNED

That's what I thought too, Ananth and Viper...just wanted to be sure in case I had misunderstood something. Waiting for the rains to get over and I'll take my car to Automech. He quoted 9k for the freeflow setup, which sounds reasonable.

What's the deal with a mild steel kit only lasting 1, 1-5 years though? That doesn't sound like much fun, if you have to keep driving carefully to preserve your exhaust.

On a slightly different note, is 8k a good price for a K&N hyper performance filter with the cold pipe? That's the price this sardar on Malad link road was offering me, but I would have to get the pipe and have everything installed by someone else, since he doesn't do it.
Old 1st September 2005, 13:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the deal with a mild steel kit only lasting 1, 1-5 years though? That doesn't sound like much fun, if you have to keep driving carefully to preserve your exhaust.
Its not the hard driving that limits the life of the exhaust..Its only constant exposure to the elements...The underside of a car is a very harsh place especially in a humid place like Mumbai...

I don't know what kind of coating these guys use on their systems..can anyone throw some light on them.....

My 2 cents: Headers and exhausts should always be anodized or painted with aluminum heat-resistant paint...chrome plating is just a waste of money..The anodizing is much more durable than any other type of coating that I have used....

Ananth
Old 1st September 2005, 14:07   #51
BHPian

Hi,

Have you checked the Carbonfiber muffler????
The internal design was diffrent in it ........
I dont know the cost of it....

Ask Xmachine for the performance and sound...
Old 1st September 2005, 16:31   #52
BANNED

revmaster...did u solve that problem of yours...
and 1 last thingi wanted to know ....have you ever been caught by the cops...???
Old 1st September 2005, 18:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since I was expecting to get the whole kit with the free flow, this new thing has got me curious.

Can anybody explain?
Most likely, the cheaper one is a "cat back system" and another is a full system with header and cat bypass. On modern cars, bypassing the cat is a headache because the O2 sensor can detect it.

Aluminized steel is the popular coating for exhuasts. There are some with proprietary coatings. Anodizing is for Al pipes.
Old 1st September 2005, 19:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower

Aluminized steel is the popular coating for exhuasts. There are some with proprietary coatings. Anodizing is for Al pipes.

I am talking about what our local tuners do....not the OE systems which are definitely aluminized. And anodizing (also called zinc passivation) can be done on any part, be it ferrous or aluminum.
Old 1st September 2005, 22:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Never heard of anodizing for steel, at least for automotive applications and definetly not for exhuasts. The process I am refering to puts a hard oxide layer on Al.
Old 1st September 2005, 23:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Can you explain the "catback" system, please?
Old 2nd September 2005, 01:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Cat back system is when you replace the exhuast from the catalytic converter to the tailpipe. The exhuast manifold, downpipe and the cats (those parts to the front of the cat) are left stock so that emissions are not disturbed. Popular mod on OBD II cars.
Old 2nd September 2005, 10:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Popular mod on OBD II cars.
what is a OBD II car ??
Old 2nd September 2005, 11:20   #59
BANNED

M-Power, the freeflow kit he was offering for 12k included everything from the headers to the muffler. But for 6k more, he was suggesting a high performance exhaust, which he said would give me the best effect.

Having a basic knowledge of cars, this one took me by surprise because I thought a high performance exhaust was a part of the whole freeflow kit, and not a separate entity.So I thought I'd ask you guys, incase there was a gaping hole in my knowledge of cars.

Anyways, I'm just waiting for the rains to get over and then I'll go to Automech. He quoted 9k for a freeflow kit for my Lancer.
Old 2nd September 2005, 13:14   #60
BHPian

hey
i have a brand new stainles steel muffler for 4k. pm me if anyone interested.
tc

Most Viewed