Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 16:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyaGO View Post
a) What is the technology used in BluSnap
BluSnap, at a 10000ft level, is a miniaturized air cooler.
I am sorry but that one line isn't giving much information about the technology. Is this an evaporative air cooler, peltier cooler or vapour compression? And what about 10000ft?
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 21:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
And what about 10000ft?
I think he means to say that, "Bluesnap, at a very high level, is a miniaturized cooler"
black_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 23:22   #18
BHPian

I would personally love to use something like AGV Tech7 helmet, however, it would need to be OEM fitted on the helmet I buy. I will not use anything that is an extra fitting on the helmet. 9 months back I was involved in a very bad crash. My helmet saved my life, so no compromise will ever be made there. The only way I would trust a cooling system is if it's integrated design by OEM and tested and certified to DOT, ECE, Snell standards.

On the other hand I have used a micro cooling system called Veskimo. Very effective, works in 40+ degrees without any strain.
PratikPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 14:16   #19
BHPian

I recently got the opportunity to test a prototype of the BluSnap for a couple of days. Note that I tried it out during the month of February, when Bangalore is relatively cooler and the temperature hovers around 29 °C, max. Here’s a detailed review of my experience with BluSnap. It might answer some of the questions the forum members may have.

I own a KTM RC390 and my daily commute involves a 30km ride through the heavy traffic of Bangalore city; so you can imagine how a portable air conditioner can be a real lifesaver!

Let me start with how it works. BluSnap uses the simple application of evaporative air cooling. Following are its major features:
• It has a fan that sucks the air in and passes it through a mesh filter soaked in water, which will release a steady blast of cool air on to your face.
• It has a basic one-button function to switch the fan on/off and a rotating knob to control the water flow to the mesh filter.
• It works on an 18650 battery, which is enough to keep the device powered for about 9 hours. There’s an LED indication for the battery life and it can be easily charged with a micro USB cable.
• The unit itself is made of plastic which snaps on any helmet (mine is a SOL Unicorn2) and needs to be filled with water. The water consumption is very less; it might vary based on humidity levels and ambient temperature.

I have pre-ordered the device and here is a list of the probable pros I can foresee.
1. Keeping your head and lid cool (primary usage)
2. Filtering the air for dust
3. Defogging the visor
4. Humidifying in extreme cold temperatures

In its primary role, BluSnap works efficiently. Just snap it on, press the button and enjoy the whiff of cool, filtered air on your face. The air that comes out felt at least 3 degrees cooler than the temperature outside. It came handy each time I was stuck in traffic for 2-5 minutes on a stretch, keeping my helmet fresh and airy. You might hear the muted hum of a miniature turbine when the fan is spinning, but it is barely audible outdoors.

However, BluSnap has a few limitations too:
• Given the design of a normal helmet, it is impossible for the cool air to reach every nook and cranny, especially if you are out around noon.
• When you are stuck in the traffic, directly facing the sun for longer periods of time, the humidity level inside the helmet rises up rapidly, cancelling out the cooling effect.

But for the most part, you will be just grateful for the chilled air blowing in your face. Apart from cooling, BluSnap plays a vital role in filtering the air around you. These days, it is impossible to travel in the city without suffering the wrath of dust and polluted air. I strongly feel that the filter in BluSnap can provide you with a feasible solution for this problem.

It can also help clear up the visor of your helmet when it gets fogged up — another pesky problem many of us riders can relate to. I have not tested it in rain, but I guess it should work then as well. I also assume that humidified air will help keep your face moist in frigid areas like Leh, where even best of moisturizing creams don’t work.

I had a few concerns regarding high speed rideability. I tested the device at speeds above 130Kmph and I was pleasantly surprised to see that BluSnap did not move an inch from its place. At higher speeds the frontal air intake acts as ram-air intakes, and does not put out much resistance.

Many might also have concerns regarding the rider’s safety when BluSnap is fitted on the helmet, and whether there would be any consequences in the event of a crash. To be honest, I none can give you any assurances. On the bright side, the device is lightweight (200 odd grams) and is held in place using Velcro and a band — so most probably, it will just come off if you meet with an accident.

Though the prototype looks adequate, I found it a bit bulky (not heavy though). But I guess the future versions will look sleeker and more aerodynamically shaped. I’m awaiting the final production model which is supposed to be shipped in March, when the mercury levels will also be suitable enough to warrant BluSnap’s efficiency.

I’ll be happy to answer any further questions you may have. Feel free to ask.

Disclaimer: I’m not in any way affiliated with this product or the company; these are just my personal observations.
Attached Thumbnails
Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-pic_1.jpeg  

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-pic_2.jpeg  

rahuldevnath is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 18:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Is the mesh/wicking material removable and washable ? Im guessing it should be cleaned periodically to get rid of fungus and algae that might grow on it. I really wonder how well it will work in a humid city like Mumbai where evaporative cooling only has marginal effect. Although, misting fans where and actual superfine mist/fog of water is produced do cool pretty well even in humid places because it evaporates almost instantly on contact
Old 6th February 2018, 18:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

AptEner Mechatronics - a Bangalore-based start-up has launched BluSnap - a wearable helmet cooler that can be retrofitted to full-face helmets. The retail price of the product is Rs. 2,299 however, it can be pre-ordered for a discounted price of Rs. 1,899.

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-qtrview_blusnapwithhelmet.jpg

BluSnap is the first product in the company's BluArmor range of motorcycle gear. It can be worn around the mouth-vents of the helmet and is held in place using straps. It consists of a water reservoir, fan and a replaceable anti-bacterial filter. The fan is powered by a rechargeable battery and blows cool air into the helmet through a small tube that runs under the chin of the helmet. The battery is claimed to last for 10 hours on a single charge. The water reservoir has to be replenished after 2 hours of operation.

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-sideview_blusnapwithhelmet.jpg

According to the company, BluSnap can circulate cool and dust-free air in the helmet. It is claimed that the temperature of the air inside the helmet is around 6-15 degrees Celsius cooler than the ambient temperature. Since BluSnap helps circulate air, it can also work as a defogger for the helmet visor.

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-qtrview_blusnapwithtransparenthelmet.jpg

AptEner Mechatronics and helmet manufacturer Vega Auto have announced a partnership wherein the latter will be marketing the product through its extensive dealer network.

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-blusnap_qtrview.jpg
Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-blusnap_frontview.jpg
Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-blusnap_sideview.jpg
Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-vortex_strapoption.jpg
Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-straps.jpg
Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-blusnap_expectedperformance.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 22:14   #22
BHPian

Anyone on our forum tried this? I had once tried wearing a baseball cap with a small fan that blew air right on face and had a solar panel on top. The whirring from the fan gave me a headache in a matter of minutes. I would really like to know if the fan in this device won't give the same whirring or buzzing sound, or maybe a little vibration.....Please share any link of reviews if anyone has tested it...
novice_alto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 19:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice_alto View Post
Anyone on our forum tried this? I had once tried wearing a baseball cap with a small fan that blew air right on face and had a solar panel on top. The whirring from the fan gave me a headache in a matter of minutes. I would really like to know if the fan in this device won't give the same whirring or buzzing sound, or maybe a little vibration.....Please share any link of reviews if anyone has tested it...
I tested it! The buzz is definitely there. However, its audible only when you are standing still at a quiet location. Else, ambient noise is generally always covers it up.

Quote:
Is the mesh/wicking material removable and washable ? Im guessing it should be cleaned periodically to get rid of fungus and algae that might grow on it. I really wonder how well it will work in a humid city like Mumbai where evaporative cooling only has marginal effect. Although, misting fans where and actual superfine mist/fog of water is produced do cool pretty well even in humid places because it evaporates almost instantly on contact
Mesh is washable, and needs to be purchased new every 6 months or so depending on the usage. I'm not really sure how well it work in humid conditions, but they claim testing it in Chennai. Compared to a normal air cooler, one thing needs to be taken into consideration - on a bike we are always moving. Its different from a closed room, and should ideally perform better.
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:33   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Received this email from BluSnap:
Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-1.jpg
Old 24th April 2018, 09:44   #25
BHPian

The first image of Bluesnap that came to me on Whatsapp made me think it was a practical joke. But the thought of the product concept intrigued me and i checked with my contacts and found it out to be real.

This search for something different lead me to Moto Store & Cafe in Koramangala, Bangalore where they had stocked the product. Shared my initial concerns and got a very detailed inside out explanation from the store in-charge. Main point that caught my attention was the detailed design of the product and he simplicity it had built into it.
The decision was made and the purchase done. Bought a single filter version which retails at 1948 + Tax.

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-img_20180420_081403.jpg

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-img_20180420_081408.jpg

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-img_20180420_081418.jpg

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-img_20180420_081239.jpg

Wet Chaddi Review:
I am sure most of you here would agree that wearing a spectacle inside an helmet is a pain. To top the trouble, if it rains you have to face the trouble of fogging inside the helmet. The weather gods were in my favour and helped me with heavy rains last week (just a day after the product purchase). So i tweaked the route back to home a bit. Took the electronic city flyover and joined NECE road to take PESIT exit. This journey took me through 50 kms (1 hour) of non-stop rain and an immense opportunity to test the Bluesnap.

My experience goes like this:
Before Bluesnap - Wearing a powered glass inside a helmet ensures that not only the visor but the specs also get fogged in rainy conditions. Every few kms we would have to remove the visor a bit to clear the fog. This ensures that your padding gets wet, your specs get dirty and your face also feels soggy.

After Bluesnap - The constant breeze from the device kept the fog away the entire 50kms and i never had to worry about fog inside the helmet. This ensured i stuck to decent cruising speeds and journey was quick. Finally reached home with a helmet which was dry form inside. This was an amazing feel.

Pros:
- Very creative design
- Options of colours of Strap which ensures the strap is in sync with your helmet colour
- Non skid strap which holds the device firm on to helmet
- Easily waashable/replaceable air filter on device
- Water cooling option
- Definitely a head tuner on the roads
- Affordable for sure
- Self tested as water proof

Cons
- Weight is the factor that you need to get used to
- While in traffic signals when you are idling, you hear the buzz of the fan sound
- Personally would like more colour options on the body of product also
avinashsg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 10:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ideally this should be integrated by the helmet manufacturers and cooling should be provided at the top of the helmet - that is the part which is constantly exposed to the sun at any point of time in the day and directly heats up the brain.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:39   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
Cons
- Weight is the factor that you need to get used to
- While in traffic signals when you are idling, you hear the buzz of the fan sound
- Personally would like more colour options on the body of product also
- Weight is not something to get used to - it can lead to serious neck injuries in the long run. Helmet weight + cooler weight + windblast can seriously load up the neck.

- Did you ask them how the device will spread energy incase of a crash? Chin of the helmet is prone to taking a direct impact in accidents.

- Is there a battery or something inside it? Will that be safe in extreme hot days / crash situations?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 14:47   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Though this product sounds impressive, I wonder why they would want to have a strap mounting of a relatively heavy device. No matter how tight it might be, elastic/strap is not a rigid mount and will loosen over time and given the frequent vibrations and forces on the helmet, it will come off in no time. Also, given the curvature of the helmet, the strap should be tied around the upper half of the helmet.

My helmet has a good ventilation design, but that works only when moving. Once I get stationary or moving slow, I need some device like this with forced cooling badly. However, with this product, the mounting puts me away. Firstly, the strap is something I wont prefer. Even a bluetooth headset for the helmet comes with a rigid mounting which can be screwed on tight and there wont be issues with placement etc. Speaking of the headset, most of the bluetooth headsets are located along the side of the helmet, whose positioning will clash with the strap. Lastly, though it will be difficult, the packaging of the system should improve. Instead of a huge contraption sitting in the front, if they can slightly spread the inner parts so that the device can be mounted to one side, or the rear will help in easier handling of the helmet. Most of the higher end helmets are already huge, and with this, it will make handling them more difficult. Splitting the weight across a greater part of the helmet evenly will also make it easier to wear for prolonged periods.

Given that this is a startup, and their product development will be aggressive, if they launch an updated version, I will go for it immediately.
Old 27th April 2018, 15:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

There is NO WAY I will ever wear some monstrosity like this on my lid. One fall, and there are plenty of things to go wrong.

If the going is slow, and I am in traffic, I open the visor. And its FREE.
Old 3rd May 2018, 09:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
- Weight is not something to get used to - it can lead to serious neck injuries in the long run. Helmet weight + cooler weight + windblast can seriously load up the neck.

- Did you ask them how the device will spread energy incase of a crash? Chin of the helmet is prone to taking a direct impact in accidents.

- Is there a battery or something inside it? Will that be safe in extreme hot days / crash situations?
1. True on the weight part.
2. Query on impact reactions never came to my mind as my usage for this would be limited to city.
3. Battery used is a durable Nokia BL5C kind of battery which is safe.
avinashsg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks