Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2018, 22:36   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 3M launches Hyper Shield - A substitute to Ceramic Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
To all who wanted to check how well this is lasting, I got the 3M HyperShield treatment for my Honda Jazz on January 18th, 2018.

Since then, I got it washed twice, this is the second time - On February 9th, shot this video to check the hydrophobic effect.
So therapeutic! Please upload more videos in full HD of the water beading! I love a good water beading video!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th March 2018 at 23:50. Reason: deleting video
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 21:01   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the honest feedback Pramod. You just saved my 26k. Was going to try this out on my white GLC that’s expected next week since it’s not possible to put PPF on white.

What colour is your Kodiaq?
I’m confused if I should try ceramic coating from another detailer instead? I thought you don’t need to wax the car once you get ceramic coating done. I’m surprised 3m recommended you to do it once a year.
Old 1st April 2018, 16:11   #48
BHPian

Very Strange, I was quoted only 18,000 INR for hyper shield coating on my 2017 City by the 3M in my locality. How did they charge you 26k!
Old 1st April 2018, 20:50   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Was going to try this out on my white GLC that’s expected next week since it’s not possible to put PPF on white.
I got this done on a small portion of my Carbon black- 730 but didn't found the treated patch any different over regular polish they did on the whole car after wash. So either it was not applied correctly or the product itself is not worth.

Perhaps buy their package of wash and polish, I am missing details but that will be cheaper then regular costs. PPF, I can surely recommend.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st April 2018 at 20:51.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 22:29   #50
BHPian

I m still lost in my thoughts trying to understand ceramic coating done with out of the bottle way ?

Ceramic requires high temperature to bond to any surface it is coated on & dealers are giving pour, wipe shine solution.

Do they bake the car in a painting booth or oven after they apply "Ceramic coating" ?

Anyone who has done this coating, kindly reply to benefit others with your experience.
Old 1st April 2018, 22:32   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
I m still lost in my thoughts trying to understand ceramic coating done with out of the bottle way ?

Ceramic requires high temperature to bond to any surface it is coated on & dealers are giving pour, wipe shine solution.

Do they bake the car in a painting booth or oven after they apply "Ceramic coating" ?

Anyone who has done this coating, kindly reply to benefit others with your experience.
Some detailers do heat it a bit under infra red lamps to dry it. My cars have never gone through that treatment. It just sits outdoors and I dont use it for a day or two. And the ambient heat and infra red rays from the Sun are enough for it to cure.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 22:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Some detailers do heat it a bit under infra red lamps to dry it. My cars have never gone through that treatment. It just sits outdoors and I dont use it for a day or two. And the ambient heat and infra red rays from the Sun are enough for it to cure.
Thanks Nikhil.

But then IR lamps will still be insufficient to attain that temperature, but one possiblity is use of some form of bonding agent or hardeners.

Isn't ceramic opaque ?

Even the purest form is watery clay in consistency & in fine powder. It reaches glassy gloss only when treated in oven at temperatures fit enough to be called a kiln. I have asked few detailers who were hawking for this, but their answer is not satisfactory since they must not have seen ceramic making process.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 07:31   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Thanks Nikhil.

But then IR lamps will still be insufficient to attain that temperature, but one possiblity is use of some form of bonding agent or hardeners.

Isn't ceramic opaque ?

Even the purest form is watery clay in consistency & in fine powder. It reaches glassy gloss only when treated in oven at temperatures fit enough to be called a kiln. I have asked few detailers who were hawking for this, but their answer is not satisfactory since they must not have seen ceramic making process.
I am no expert but having used Ceramic coatings since 2014, I can say it works well. Maybe an expert can explain the technicalities.
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I am no expert but having used Ceramic coatings since 2014, I can say it works well. Maybe an expert can explain the technicalities.
I just want to understand the process to know if they are marketing snake oil like Teflon coating that we are so used to in bike dealers.

No good study material exist to understand, so depending on feedback from people who have opted for this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:16   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Whether it is nano, or ceramic, or titanium-plating, maybe we should take the name as being just that: a name; part of the marketing exercise.

What matters to us is whether or not the product, by whatever name, does actually produce a coating that is more resistant to, at least, minor swirling, and considerably more durable than the older forms of waxing/sealing. And worth the cost.

Not, of course, that I am approving misleading or completely inaccurate product names. That should, and would in many parts of the world, be illegal.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 15:09   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like 3m themselves don't believe in their ceramic coating and rather push PPF. Just found this video on the 3m India page:
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 15:23   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Looks like 3m themselves don't believe in their ceramic coating and rather push PPF. Just found this video on the 3m India page:
Seems to me that 3M makes much more money on PPF than a ceramic coat.

The video is stating something obvious. A PPF will always be better than a ceramic coat. Anything physical will be better than a ceramic coat. You are simply putting a proper, physical barrier between the damaging object and the paintwork.

A ceramic coat on the other hand is far cheaper and overall looks better.
Old 30th April 2018, 17:55   #58
BHPian

Had been to the 3M showroom in Chembur a couple of days back.I have got the paint protective film paced on the door sills of my City. Inquired with them regarding the ceramic coating. The person in-charge told me a single coat would cost approximately 16-18 K a two coat would be something like 20-24 K. I asked him for how long would this be or remain he said about a year.I thing all this coating is nonsense. Just maintaining the paint with a periodic waxing is good enough. I dry wash my car and wax it every 2-3 months its a Taffeta white colour . my car remains pristine. of course I keep it covered when not in use. I have an open parking that to.
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 03:30   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead View Post
Had been to the 3M showroom in Chembur a couple of days back.I have got the paint protective film paced on the door sills of my City. Inquired with them regarding the ceramic coating. The person in-charge told me a single coat would cost approximately 16-18 K a two coat would be something like 20-24 K. I asked him for how long would this be or remain he said about a year.I thing all this coating is nonsense. Just maintaining the paint with a periodic waxing is good enough. I dry wash my car and wax it every 2-3 months its a Taffeta white colour . my car remains pristine. of course I keep it covered when not in use. I have an open parking that to.

I dont think its nonsense. In fact my GT is quoted with UNCV2 which is a top notch product. You will never get the same depth and reflection in a simple wax coat, and yes I got mine done for half that price with three refills in 18 month span free.

This is the product :https://max-protect.co.uk/ultimate-nano-coat-v2.html

Now I am not a fan of 3M, but I think the pricing is ridiculous, you can get ceramic coat at a much better price.

3M launches Hyper Shield - A substitute to Ceramic Coating-img_1445-large.jpg

3M launches Hyper Shield - A substitute to Ceramic Coating-img_1439-large.jpg
devilwearsprada is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 23:27   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend shares this Video:

Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks