Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2006, 15:14   #31
BANNED

it is the red swift for sure its the turbo. i think the owner is ikjot. we have a thread on him if people remember...
Old 15th December 2006, 15:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I think Boom's thread is getting hijacked.....this is all about his car, remember????
Old 15th December 2006, 15:20   #33
BANNED

kick *** mad *** dude ! whats the FE ure gettin now anyways. is the VGIS engine any good than the older 1.8. had it and it was a pain. drank fuel more than water i had in a day....
Old 15th December 2006, 15:32   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
kick *** mad *** dude ! whats the FE ure gettin now anyways. is the VGIS engine any good than the older 1.8. had it and it was a pain. drank fuel more than water i had in a day....
VGIS engine is any day peppier and more FE than the old 1.6. My dad has that car so it was pretty easy to get a comparison. The VGIS also closes the gap between the old 1.6 and the 1.8 in terms of performance. Haven't had a chance to go head to head with a 1.8 yet though.

I used to get 8.5 kmpl but recently since I shifted house, it's come down to 7.5 thanks to the crap roads and traffic where the car's standing more than running. Haven't had a chance to check properly after the mods.

In case anyone's interested, I've put up a few pics in my garage. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the individual mods before they were done. Hindsight is always 20:20.
Old 15th December 2006, 19:35   #35
sAP
BHPian

Whats on the inside counts

Loved your report. I bet the port job gave the most significant results. Your modder must be really good for you to trust him with the heads of your new car. In my experience, increasing compression ratio by shaving the head causes a drop in top end performance though torque kicks in a shade earlier. Did you want to do this deliberately or am I wrong?

sAP
Old 15th December 2006, 22:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

dude uve got to seriously work on that audio set up...when i heard it i thought that it sounded pretty good for sound coming out of just the speakers..but got to know its connected to an amp and a sub..sounded like the sub was absent...get it tuned at bass.com
Old 15th December 2006, 22:50   #37
BHPian

@Boom Shiva: Whoa....helluva car after all your modding I bet! I do have two questions that I'm itching to ask, as every other mod I'm familiar with.

1) You said u got the throttle body enlarged by 2.5mm which cost 2500+labor...I'm confused - did u get the plenum replaced or 'bored' the stock one? U see, I'm thinking of getting something similar done, but don't want to buy a whole new (less restrictive) throttle body!

2) What exactly did u get done to your valves?

----------

@Everyone else reading about Nikhil's kompressor:
That red thingy is an E68 'intake charger', and for whoever's not read the thread on this with my description, it is an 'air bleed' device that helps increase AFR. I have one on my Ikon but it's not very effective power-wise.....has helped mileage a little. However, the 25-35 hp extra comes from the real compressor on that Swift(?) - the dam' turbo!
Old 16th December 2006, 09:25   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
Loved your report. I bet the port job gave the most significant results. Your modder must be really good for you to trust him with the heads of your new car. In my experience, increasing compression ratio by shaving the head causes a drop in top end performance though torque kicks in a shade earlier. Did you want to do this deliberately or am I wrong?

sAP
Hi Sap, yes, the porting/polishing was the single biggest difference maker amongst all the mods. However, all the others had to be done first for the porting to be effective. I'm afraid I'm not a very technical person, but to the best of my knowledge, marginally shaving the head doesn't drop the top end.

[quote=vezj420;338985]
1) You said u got the throttle body enlarged by 2.5mm which cost 2500+labor...I'm confused - did u get the plenum replaced or 'bored' the stock one? U see, I'm thinking of getting something similar done, but don't want to buy a whole new (less restrictive) throttle body!

2) What exactly did u get done to your valves?

quote]

Hey Vezj, I think Viper would be the best person to ask for technical details. Try PMing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
dude uve got to seriously work on that audio set up...when i heard it i thought that it sounded pretty good for sound coming out of just the speakers..but got to know its connected to an amp and a sub..sounded like the sub was absent...get it tuned at bass.com
I wasn't around at the time so can't comment. I'm pretty happy with my system though.
Old 16th December 2006, 09:43   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Hey Dan,

Don't know where you heard his setup but I thought it was pretty good considering that he is using unbranded components upfront and has a very basic amp. Its a value for money setup. He prefers spending money on performance related mods first and then if any Vitamin M is left ICE.

Viper
Old 9th January 2007, 11:06   #40
BANNED

UPDATE: High speed test

Just had a nice long drive on the Expressway. Acceleration was much better throughout the powerband. Much more fun to drive.

There's an issue with the top speed though. The car climbs quickly but will not pass the stock top speed of 177 - 180. At first I thought it was a problem, but it turns out that the Optra 1.6 has a fuel cut off at 5000 rpm in 5th gear . Something we'll have to work around I guess.

But here's something a lot of people will be interested in - During this Expressway drive, mostly between 140-180 km/h with approx 80% A/C on, I got an FE of 13.63 kmpl. Before the mods, with similar (but obviously slower) driving, the best FE I got on the Expressway was 11.5.

So in addition to being much quicker, the car is also approx 20 percent more fuel efficient.

Cheers
Old 9th January 2007, 13:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Boom - Good to know you're happy with the car. Also did you try the redline in 4th gear? If yes what speed did it achieve & does it go all the way to the redline or is it also limited to 5000rpm?
Old 9th January 2007, 14:30   #42
BANNED

Goes up to the redline (6.3k) in 4th. But the speed doesn't go past 177-180.

When you shift to 5th it drops to 5k and doesn't budge. Speedo also remains annoyingly stuck at the same place.

I got in touch with the GM people and they told me about the fuel cut off. So at least I know what's causing the issue. Now to figure a way around it!
Old 9th January 2007, 14:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
I got in touch with the GM people and they told me about the fuel cut off. So at least I know what's causing the issue. Now to figure a way around it!

I am finding it a little difficult to digest this statement. Unless ofcourse GM has configured the ECU to know that the car is in 5th gear. Being a manual transmission I dont now if this is possible. But for now we will just have to take their word for it. In my opinion it is illogical. I have suggested a remedy. let me know if something comes out of it.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I am finding it a little difficult to digest this statement. Unless ofcourse GM has configured the ECU to know that the car is in 5th gear. Being a manual transmission I dont now if this is possible. But for now we will just have to take their word for it. In my opinion it is illogical. I have suggested a remedy. let me know if something comes out of it.
I distintly remember steeroids dicor having a problem like this.Fuel deliver was cut off in 5th at some rpm,but not in fourth.Though the car had atleast 1000rpm more to go,but would not.
Im not too sure about what rpm/speed,contact keshav or steeroid.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:25   #45
BHPian

In my experience fuel cut is normally related with speed (apart from the fuel cut experienced when you Red line, which altogether is a different issue). In this case, I am trying to find a better explanation to GM's statement. How in a maual transmission does the ECU know which gear you are in ?

As an example, in most jap spec cars the top speed is limited to 180 KMPH. After which the Ecu induces a fuel cut irrespective of the gear or the rpm. Maybe GM need to rephrase their statement.

Last edited by Sideways : 9th January 2007 at 15:33.

Most Viewed