Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 14:20   #46

Satish,
What format of files do you need for the GPS? If file formats are not proprietary (like garmin etc) then there are applications available that will download maps of google and save them in the right format.

I personally use a GPS from Sony for the Playstation Portable. I download and use maps from maps.google.com. They are slightly outdated for highways but work very well within the cities.

Good luck!
Old 4th February 2008, 15:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Any information about the pricing of Bluetooth GPS modules ? How much does it costs, warranty ? Anyone...
Old 4th February 2008, 16:25   #48
BHPian

Hi thatsamthe maps in the device have a g12 extension. I searched extensively online and confirmed with some dealers also, none of them have the required software and maps for it. The nearest match would be the device from mapmyindia - which has similar hardware config, but they refused to give me the software even to check if it can work with my device....so, for now the device is an expensive, not so good looking paperweight!
Old 5th November 2008, 11:27   #49
Team-BHP Support

My friend got this Magellan Maestro 3100 as a gift.
Can someone please help me load maps into this.
How do I load the maps and where do I find them

Please help.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:15   #50
Team-BHP Support

Which format maps does this thing take, if its possible I will generate one for you. Do let me know do you need hyd or entire india
Old 5th November 2008, 12:17   #51
Team-BHP Support

^ how do I find that out.

I found a hack for this model here. It also describes the files inside the device. I have verified the same on the unit.
Step 1 back up all of the orignal files on the Magellan

Would love to have all India. The friend who owns this is a long distance tourer and he would find it very helpful.
Thanks.

On the device is a sticker that says windows CE Core 5.0

Last edited by bblost : 5th November 2008 at 12:19.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

I have a ASUS P320 phone. I dont know which category it falls under - i.e. merely windows mobile phone, or GPS enabled phone. So what do I have to do to get GPS going on it, for navigation? And yes, same for the HTC Touch Diamond too, please!
Old 5th November 2008, 12:45   #53
Team-BHP Support

B&T if you phone has in built GPS it will be mentioned prominently. If not, you can buy a bluetooth GPS receiver.
I think Diamond has GPS built in.
For windows mobile gopher is a good software(free), but I think your phone would come with navigation softwares etc.,
Old 5th November 2008, 13:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
So what do I have to do to get GPS going on it, for navigation? And yes, same for the HTC Touch Diamond too, please!
Same here, got myself a P3300 and it has dedicated hardware for GPS. How do I use it is my question ?
Old 5th November 2008, 13:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a ASUS P320 phone. I dont know which category it falls under - i.e. merely windows mobile phone, or GPS enabled phone. So what do I have to do to get GPS going on it, for navigation? And yes, same for the HTC Touch Diamond too, please!
You will be needing GPS software for using the GPS thingy. I am notsure which software has been bundled with but you can get mapmyindia software iNav which is pretty up-to-date. If buying seems to be costlier affair to you... try to find ahem versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Same here, got myself a P3300 and it has dedicated hardware for GPS. How do I use it is my question ?
In india HTC Provide Mapking GPS software along with their GPS phones. You need to install it. By default you'll be getting 1 city map for free, which you can download from their site. Though mapking ain't the best choice being old dated maps, I would advice to look at mapmyindina iNav software for the same.
Old 5th November 2008, 14:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
B&T if you phone has in built GPS it will be mentioned prominently.
Not mentioned prominently anywhere on the phone or box of Asus P320.

Whats a bluetooth GPS receiver? A second device that I need to carry with me? Approx cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
You will be needing GPS software for using the GPS thingy. I am notsure which software has been bundled with but you can get mapmyindia software iNav which is pretty up-to-date. If buying seems to be costlier affair to you... try to find ahem versions
I have a software on the Asus which is called "GPS Catcher". On launching, you get a screen with a big "Update" button, which upon pressing always fails. I tried installing google maps also, but I dont know what to do after that. I have completely lost my way concerning navigation.
Old 5th November 2008, 14:15   #57
Team-BHP Support

You can get free maps from openstreetmap, and use them.
If you don't have any software, install gopher with india.pak file. This runs on Windows CE.
I can whip up a DIY guide for Windows CE phones if you want me to.
Old 5th November 2008, 14:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a software on the Asus which is called "GPS Catcher". On launching, you get a screen with a big "Update" button, which upon pressing always fails. I tried installing google maps also, but I dont know what to do after that. I have completely lost my way concerning navigation.
GPS Catcher is a third party software for downloading satellite data via gprs/internet, it only helps GPS software to speed up the GPS search time.

Which Software did you got along with P320 by the way ?? You need to install the software else need to lookout for alternate software for using the GPS thingy.
Old 5th November 2008, 14:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not mentioned prominently anywhere on the phone or box of Asus P320.

Whats a bluetooth GPS receiver? A second device that I need to carry with me? Approx cost?

Don't think you need another device. Your Asus has in built GPS receiver. All you need is a map software which is probably pre loaded in your device. If not download google maps.

Try the update button too, but before that make sure GPRS is subscribed for & working well. This could probably download the map software required for your phone.

Hope that helps.
Old 5th November 2008, 14:42   #60
Team-BHP Support

B&T is your phone Windows Mobile?
If so the answer is simple
Install OSMTracker
OSMtracker - OpenStreetMap
Download India map, and unzip it and put it on SD card etc.,
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/asia/india/india.osm.bz2
Then start the OSM tracker application, and voila, you are on.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks