Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 22:57   #91
Team-BHP Support

Oziexplorer CE serves your needs best. Run it on any windows CE based navigator.
It costs 40 USD. If you don't need maps thats the best thing you got, tried and tested in australian outback

I recently got myself a mio c320.

I did two things to the device
1. Unlocked it so that the underlying OS is visible
2. Reskinned the default software so that buttons like export tracklog etc., are visible.
The tracklogs are pretty usable

Unlocking it brought some freeware like pocketmv etc., which reads trekbuddy maps. This software also has good stuff pertaining to tracking.

If you want something waterproof, then you have to go the handheld way (Garmin Vista CSx etc., etc.,)
But since you asked vehicle mounted, get yourself the mio and unlock it(quick and easy). The 100$ cost is also not as damaging.

For that matter any windows CE based system should be good enough, since unlocks are available, and after unlocking you can install any software you want. whether its paid stuff like garmin mobile XT/Oziexplorer or free stuff like pocketmv etc.,
Old 4th February 2009, 12:18   #92
BHPian

Hello Gurus,

I hve recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi200w from UK, its got all maps for UK&Ireland, can you provide me some data on which compatible maps are available for this device. I am looking at some maps which would cover maximum location across India and also detailed road maps with addresses for Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
GPS Solutions Demystified-garmin-nuvi-200w.jpg  

Old 20th February 2009, 21:06   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I have HTC 3300, abd GPS works very good. It came with Mapking navigator and maps. Plus I use Google Maps as well.

Also I used it alot in my last Tokyo trip, where I used a software to keep marking my route I took and in between kept marking the POIs

Regarding the battery.. I have auxillary power supply device which used normal AA batteries to recharge HTC.
Last week, I also bought a used P3300. The navigation is good, But sometimes it takes too much time for a cold start. Is there a way to speed it up.

I also wants to upgrade my micro SD card which is 1GB now, Does anyone know how much it can support without any problem like Hanging etc.

thanks
Old 21st February 2009, 00:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

I've a Nuvi 310 purchased from Mobile GPS India - GPS, Aviation, Marine, Handheld, Navigation, Binoculars, Compass, Windwatch. They are the authorised ealers in India and provide Indian maps. Get in touch with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak View Post
Hello Gurus,

I hve recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi200w from UK, its got all maps for UK&Ireland, can you provide me some data on which compatible maps are available for this device. I am looking at some maps which would cover maximum location across India and also detailed road maps with addresses for Mumbai.
Old 9th March 2009, 22:24   #95
BHPian

A friend of mine has P3300. He had got the trial version of Mapking with it by default. How can he use Google Maps if he has no GPRS connection? Is there anyway the maps can be downloaded via laptop and then uploaded to P3300?
Old 11th March 2009, 09:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1109162-post681.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
A friend of mine has P3300. He had got the trial version of Mapking with it by default. How can he use Google Maps if he has no GPRS connection? Is there anyway the maps can be downloaded via laptop and then uploaded to P3300?
Old 11th March 2009, 10:08   #97
BHPian

Speed-Freak i think you can buy maps from mapmyindia, they have got a very good coverage and are popular in India.
check their site MapmyIndia.com Online maps, GPS Navigation, Driving Directions, Local Search
Old 11th March 2009, 14:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine has P3300. He had got the trial version of Mapking with it by default. ...
The problem with Google maps will be that he will not be able to get TBT route guidance. One can download Google maps and use them on mgmaps (free software). Check on the mgmaps website how to do that (bit of a long winded procedure, needs a PC with .NET loaded to do the download; @rkbharat has given the link to the thread where this has been discussed) - try it by specifying small areas / areas that you really want. mgmaps can work also with Yahoo and MS maps also, but I have not heard anyone downloading those - they aren't bad at all.

Mapking maps (I guess they stopped in 2008?) are, IMHO, the best for route guidance, probably because their maps are based on Eicher printed maps. MapmyIndia maps are also good, but not as good as Mapking. The difference is in the features of the software - that's where MMI is ahead since they are based on Miores Miomaps.
Old 11th March 2009, 14:31   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whats a good vehicle-mounted GPS which is the equivalent of handheld tracking GPS ssytems? I dont need city navigation or turn-by-turn directions - I need to be able to trace my path in the desert, find my way to the nearest settlement/road/petrol station and save good trails.
Bought a Garmin 60CSx finally. I wanted the 276c, but it was too expensive at Dhs.2,100 for just the unit (maps extra!).
Old 11th March 2009, 15:12   #100
Senior - BHPian

I've downloaded Wayfinder on my Blackberry 8310 and been using it as complimentary service for the last 7 months even though it was supposed to be free for the first 6 months only. It comes equipped with MapmyIndia and has really good maps of all major cities in India.
Old 11th March 2009, 15:32   #101
BHPian

I just purchased the Wayfinder for bb, will test and post back...
Old 11th March 2009, 15:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
I just purchased the Wayfinder for bb, will test and post back...
Has it become chargeable? I'm on Airtel and I downloaded it for free and using it for free as well.
Old 11th March 2009, 15:48   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Thank you for the link rkbharat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The problem with Google maps will be that he will not be able to get TBT route guidance...........that's where MMI is ahead since they are based on Miores Miomaps.
I'll ask him to visit mgmaps and download. MioMaps is pretty good, have them on my stand-alone gps unit. Thanks.
Old 20th March 2009, 02:35   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Has it become chargeable? I'm on Airtel and I downloaded it for free and using it for free as well.
Heres a tip for everyone, this software is absolutely rubbish. It relies on networks totally hence the location latency is just insane. by the time I'm told to turn, I'm already 3-5 kms ahead of schedule on the route. What a waste of 2000 rs...
Old 20th March 2009, 08:10   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Also check if his unit came with a licence for the full version. I too have a p3300, which comes with a trial version when you install it, but i did a registration process which allows you to download the full map.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks