Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2006, 15:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Query on Muffler Install

Hey folks,

Am back once again requesting all T-BHP'ains for suggestions. My requirement is that I want some good sound off my car and FFE as of now isnt an option.
My idea is to have a muffler installed to achieve the change in sound from the exhaust.
My options are limited, I have checked and found this 5ZIGEN Muffler at Ozz One and is priced at 5 grand. Looks appealing

My queries :

1 - Is worth installing this thingy and is the price resonable?
2 - Will it affect the FE on the car ?
3 - Down the line can I use the same muffler on my FFE install?
4 - Will the install have any affects on the engine in the long run?

Am still a novice and really would appreciate any help on this.Thanks in advance people.

Cheers
rjstyles69

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 19th December 2006 at 15:24.
Old 19th December 2006, 15:27   #2
bhp
BHPian

dude check properly it might not be original 5zigen muffler bcoz it doesnt retail so cheap....

1 - yes it is worth if it is only sound at wat u looking at
2 - not much...for sure if u have a heavy foot and wanna hear the music too often
3 - yes u can
4 - no if the fitting is done perfectly
Old 19th December 2006, 15:28   #3
BANNED

Make two holes in your muffler. "Racing sound" for cheap.
Old 19th December 2006, 15:30   #4
BANNED

First of all! That 5zigen Muffler you're getting for 5k doesn't have to be a genuine 5zigen!
But don't let that deter you, That is what any normally fabricated good muffler costs. So, just check with others too.

1) If you just want sound and nothing else. (read Boom's post too).
2) It can improve and sometimes decrease your fuel efficiency. Also depends how you drive with it.
3) Down the line, you can use the same with your free flow kit. Just make sure you don't get another muffler with the free flow and the pipes size are same as stock.
4) Engine effects. Depends on the quality of the muffler and fitting. Psycho, V1p3r kind should be able to answer this correctly.

You can get a Remus genuine exhaust muffler with all kind of warranty at Methods. Price wont be the same though.
Frankly, I would spend my money on a whole FFE kit rather than just fancy mufflers.
Get a double muffler setup if you want a very deep growl. THe car won't be very loud but deep!!

Last edited by speedzak : 19th December 2006 at 15:32.
Old 19th December 2006, 15:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

1. no, it probably is one of those imitations which is not worth 5k, and these usually have only a mild humm to it, nothing loud and bassy

2. no effect on fuel eff till you revv it more than usual to head the catback exhaust, and this case you might just land up revving even harder as these are on the softer side

3. yes you can, but these can be really loud when mated with aftermarket headers and straight pipes

4. yet to hear of any besides the blue vtec with compression issues g.t.o had posted about ages ago

manson.
Old 19th December 2006, 15:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys thanks for the quick response. I just called Ozz One and he said it is a genuine one , yeah better said no dealer would say he is selling fake stuff. No offense meant guys.

@boomshiva would you want to explain that procedure please because Vikram_D did say once how you tamper with the baffles. Dint want to try though.
Zakko,BHP and Manson thanks for the response on that. FFE like i said isnt an option now and Zak you need a sound whacking on your rear man I told you earlier why it wasnt happening.

Like you mentioned i will check with Bangalore dudes Psycho and V13pr and see what options I have .
No fakes is the bottom line peeps' .. !!
Old 19th December 2006, 15:45   #7
BANNED

That's a JOKE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

@boomshiva would you want to explain that procedure please because Vikram_D did say once how you tamper with the baffles. Dint want to try though.
Dude!!!! You're taking it seriously???? Well, Kudos!!
Old 19th December 2006, 15:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Dude!!!! You're taking it seriously???? Well, Kudos!!
Read the last line bro' I mentioned no fakes please ( includes everything) .
Old 19th December 2006, 17:13   #9
elf
BANNED

One cost effective way would be to use a Black & Decker 1/2HP with a 1" bit on your last muffler. Bore as required.

Even cheaper - use a big pointy rock & hammer 'till sanity is restored.
Old 19th December 2006, 17:14   #10
BANNED

I don't think Boom was Faking.. seen a guy do it on his Zen in Bombay and it REALLY does sound like the real deal.. come on try it out.. what do you have to loose?
Old 19th December 2006, 17:22   #11
elf
BANNED

And there's an old model Santro that passes Pali Hill all the time since the past 4 days with the same effect. Gives even the F430's a run for their money.
Old 19th December 2006, 17:30   #12
BANNED

Does it have something WILD like "SCHUMACHER KA BAAP" or something written on the rear windscreen?
Old 19th December 2006, 17:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys my brain says this " make a hole in the muffler (OE) and see what it sounds like" . Looks like I have nothing to loose since I have decided on a change in muffler and eventually in abt 2 months time for a FFE.
So suggestions on how to make vents on the original muffler.

Last weekend heard a black Santro near the Chinnaswamy Stadium and the sound was ummwwwaaahhhh !!!Any BHPians own it?
Wanted to check with dude what was done, but he took off. Although checked the rear of the car and dint find a muffler also. Wonder where it went ??
Old 19th December 2006, 17:36   #14
elf
BANNED

No, no 2L8. The Santro's stock. Got some sort of a muddy-brown-metallic colour on the ride. What's funny is that going by his expression, even the driver of the vehicle in question seems quite surprised about the strange sounds his car is making...

rjstyles69: That black Santro you saw last weekend is owned by Boom Shiva, a fellow member at T-BHP. He got out for a drive & got carried away by the great sound from his car & wound up at Chinnamanranaswamynarayanmuttupillai Stadium where you saw him. He took off because he's quite reticent that way.

Last edited by elf : 19th December 2006 at 17:42.
Old 19th December 2006, 22:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

That was a reeeeeeeal tongue twister "Chinnamanranaswamynarayanmuttupillai" .
On serious note, was it any of our fellow BHP'ians car? Also need some pointers how to mess with the OE muffler.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 19th December 2006 at 22:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks