Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2007, 15:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Its acceptable but not the best, the inner wheels foul with the body on full lock and hence i shifted to 50 profiles.
Fair enough, had not taken that factor into account. I was just looking at the OD variation.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Its acceptable but not the best, the inner wheels foul with the body on full lock and hence i shifted to 50 profiles.
How about 215/55 ?
stock optra magnum comes with 195/60 R15 that translates to sidewall height of 195 * .60 = 117

with 215/55, it becomes 118.25, pretty close to stock setup.

But is it OK to put 215 tyres on 15" wheels?
Old 8th October 2007, 10:30   #33
BANNED

When braking in a straight line , if the car goes to one side , it might be due to

1> improper tyre alignment , tyre inflation not proper , wheel balancing not done ,wheel bearings might be faulty ,tyre might be faulty .

2> when braking either of the rotors might get locked , either of the drums might get locked , brake pads might be worn out .

Incase after having carried out all the above necessary inspections ,if you still feel the brakes are not upto the mark , you can get the drums scored for more roughness ,that might help ,otherwise try to find if you can match the skoda read drumset (includes the carrier plate ) as well . I think the Skoda has a bigger drum size than the optra .
Old 8th October 2007, 10:35   #34
BANNED

I personally feel that the drums offer much better retardation than a disk , as disk pads get hot easily thereby the disks lose their effectiveness . I always found that disks are good for average speeds like 50-80 and drums are much better for speeds over 80 .

A good example would be the Yamaha gladiator which has a bigger front drum rather than a disk , as found in other bikes of similar capacity . Disks have a tendency to lock up which dosent make sense while riding on the streets .
Old 8th October 2007, 10:38   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhiraj View Post
Today i applied breaks at about 80K/h and vola ... i felt vibration for a second in the steering wheel then it was gone .. again accelerated applied brakes and felt the vibro again for a second ... gosh .. dont know if its due to worn out brake pads or somethings else is gone wrong with the car ?
This might be due to suspension probs as well . Get the suspension checked
Old 8th October 2007, 13:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana
I personally feel that the drums offer much better retardation than a disk , as disk pads get hot easily thereby the disks lose their effectiveness . I always found that disks are good for average speeds like 50-80 and drums are much better for speeds over 80 .
No offence,man. But,
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2007, 17:34   #37
BANNED

Nitrous ..sorry ,but do you know anyone ,place ,site which suggests that discs do not get hotter than a drum ?
Old 16th October 2007, 22:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

It isn't about the heat,man.
I was referring to ur post that says drums are more efficient than discs.
Old 16th October 2007, 22:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

I heard the Veyron has Drums all around since its mostly above 80kmph

Jokes aside greatman - Discs are better then Drums in all ways and about heat, the discs are ventialated for better cooling.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:45   #40
BHPian

Changing from Drum Brakes to Disc Brakes

Hey,

I Got Maruti Zen 1995 MH410, i need to change my rear drums to disc as i am getting a G13B with high compression pistons installed in it. Therefore please enlighten me on how to go about it and what to do about the hand brake?
Old 9th July 2009, 16:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

@NFS.. Conversion of rear drum brake to disc brake for Zen will involve lots of modifications & has be done by a professional. Instead I would suggest you to get Esteem brake booster assembly, this is almost sufficient for Pocket rocket
Other option is get better tyres + good brake pads( ceramic ones .. they are quite expensive though)

Last edited by sushrutha : 9th July 2009 at 17:00.
Old 9th July 2009, 17:02   #42
BANNED

I fully agree. You will not only need to discs, callipers etc, but also to rebalance the proportioning valve etc. I would be wary of any meddling with the most vital safety equipment. If you at all go for it then make sure the chap doing the job really knows his stuff.
Old 9th July 2009, 19:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@NFS.. Conversion of rear drum brake to disc brake for Zen will involve lots of modifications & has be done by a professional. Instead I would suggest you to get Esteem brake booster assembly, this is almost sufficient for Pocket rocket
Other option is get better tyres + good brake pads( ceramic ones .. they are quite expensive though)
I have got 155/65/13 michellin XM1. The Brakes are not sufficient for my present engine, though i have ceramic pads, and another point is that i have got a few modifications to the engine and might be getting a turbo or a supercharger, therefore my power should be around 125BHP to 150BHP for which i do need some nice brakes. I have modified the existing discs to Esteem Type 2 Discs, because of which i am finding the break sufficient enough for my present engine.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:16   #44

Proportioning valve changes

Off the top of my head, any change in the brake setup will also need a change to the proportioning valve. Its there to maintain a set ratio between front and back braking effort. This in turn ensures that the rears do not lock before the front wheels do. You should be able to get an adjustable proportioning valve for about $40-50 from places like summitracing.com Wilwood is a good name is you are looking for proportioning valves.
Old 29th April 2010, 13:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Sorry to re-open the old post. Could not find and appropriate thread! Any pointer for after market ABS/disc brake in Bangalore?

One of my friends wants to upgrade his rear brakes to disc and if possible add ABS! I know its pretty expensive affair with risk of unreliability!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks