Team-BHP - Body Kits - How?!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Body Kits - How?! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/19799-body-kits-how.html)

Wanted to gain information about how does one go around to build a kit for a car.

Are there any knowledge base links?

Going by most of the body kits I've seen, a hyperactive imagination & a complete lack of taste is the most basic requirement.

Other than that, you could build them in carbon fibre, aluminium, sheet metal or fibreglass reinforced plastic (FRP). Each of these materials would have their attendant processes to convert the raw material to your finished body kit.

If you're considering it for your own car as a one off, get in touch with your vehicle bodywork people. They'll probably fabricate it in metal or FRP for you, which would be the cheapest & easiest alternatives.

You could also contact assorted existing body modification shops.

Is it possible to get in-depth detailed information. Including tools, materials, processes, etc.

that would be an interesting read but im sure none of the professionals are goin 2 leak out there secrets but yeah can give you a basic idea of the same! as far as my knowledge goes the most common (frp) kits are made by casting and similas proceses after making the mould of sheet metal!
i have no experience in this field but thats what ive heard!

I have no experience in these things..
But I have heard from people..
It goes like this...

1st a Prototype is made..It can be made with a no. materials :metal,thermocol & pop,clay,wood,foam,fibre,etc..

It depends upon the person and the cost..Some things may give you more flexibility in getting your design but can be expensive..

Clay is prefered by most designers(read it somewhere)

Also nowaday 3d works are transfered to real life by using a Miling machine..or 3d printers for smaller things..

After you prototype is completed..The process of making a die starts...
It should be done by a professional..who can make the final die flawless..and smooth..so The final product doesnt need finishing up..

Now after the die is obtained..You can fabricate your product..
There are many different process for it depending upon the shape and type of the product needed..

Also you need to have knowledge of the materials you are working with..
You dont want your body kits to be too brittle to break on touching other cars..or too soft to change shape,with increase in temperature..
For that you need some knowledge in the subject of chemistry..(I dont like that subj..)

Ok now after the fabrication process..The final stage of finishing is started..Getting the kits smooth..and coloured..
Its over,,,, your kits are ready...( i think so)

I know it sounds simple but it wont be.....
If you get knowledge please pass it to me too...
I need it..for my future:Cheering:

talk to "AUTOPSYCHE", mayb he will start a thread on this art (if its not a secret)

google it. tons of this info online. i had done all this a while back last year around i think...

I found a website that says that you need to buy foam, cut it in the desired shape and then apply fibreglass to it.

Any idea where I can source the materials?!

this looks interesting...what kind of foam is it...
and jesal what's the name of the site...