Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2018, 11:07   #1

What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?

Recently, I have observed straps (Yokohama, Michelin, Bridgestone etc written on it), hanging from the rear tow hook in cars. Is it for fancy or serves any purpose like anti-static discharge.
I would like to buy one (do tyre retailers sell them?) and hook it to my car. Any idea where to get it from and what is its technical name?
Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2018 at 11:21. Reason: Adding pic shared by Parag :)
caradorer is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 13:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradorer View Post
Recently, I have observed straps (Yokohama, Michelin, Bridgestone etc written on it), hanging from the rear tow hook in cars. Is it for fancy or serves any purpose like anti-static discharge.
I would like to buy one (do tyre retailers sell them?) and hook it to my car. Any idea where to get it from and what is its technical name?
Thanks.
These are one of 'latest' accessories we see these days like any other.
By the looks of it, their only purpose is to reflect at night when light rays fall into it. I would like to gift them to concrete mixers rather than have it behind cars that have reflective tail lamp assembly and additional reflectors anyway!

The same owners who put these straps would dither to replace the tail lamp bulb tomorrow and am damn sure about it.
paragsachania is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you are referring to competition tow straps that are generally used to tow race cars when they need to be towed. Usually in flamboyant colours to match colour schemes of race cars. Absolutely ridiculous when fixed on daily driver cars.

But the more interesting question - why would you want one when you don't even know what it is meant for?

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th May 2018 at 15:07.
AMG Power is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 16:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradorer View Post
Recently, I have observed straps (Yokohama, Michelin, Bridgestone etc written on it), hanging from the rear tow hook in cars. Is it for fancy or serves any purpose like anti-static discharge. I would like to buy one (do tyre retailers sell them?) and hook it to my car. Any idea where to get it from and what is its technical name? Thanks.
Those are tow straps mate, not really useful until your car breaks down or you need to tow another vehicle. BTW, these are also used on a car's front tow hooks

They help break-down service technicians to more easily attach their tow line to your car. It's not a must have accessory but then, if you think it looks cool you could have one fitted.

PS - just make sure the strap is attached to only designated tow points on your car otherwise you could wind up bending something out of shape. Check your owners manual.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th May 2018 at 16:52.
R2D2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 17:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Looks like you are referring to competition tow straps that are generally used to tow race cars when they need to be towed. Usually in flamboyant colours to match colour schemes of race cars. Absolutely ridiculous when fixed on daily driver cars.

But the more interesting question - why would you want one when you don't even know what it is meant for?
I thought it may be useful in some situation. Now, I know about it and if it is illegal to place it on the hook I would store it in the boot.
Old 7th May 2018, 09:46   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can someone please share a pic so that it can be added to the opening post for clarity? Thank you!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 10:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

'Tow Straps' are used for easy recovery of cars on track following a crash or a breakdown.

These are not for show and is very helpful on a track due to the following reasons:

1) Saves a bit of unnecessary weight compared to a metal tow hook which is important on a track.
2) Its very accessible, easy to use and helps a quick recovery. Also they do not deform like a metal hook following a shunt.
3) Also safer to have a strap than a protruding metal rod in bumper to bumper driving on a track. The real ones are made of high strength fiber and can carry the weight of a car and more. NRG Bolt-In Tow Strap (5,000 Lbs Limit)

Its easy to attach. Just remove the tow hook cover and screw it in.
What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?-51jy5v1axzl.jpg

source
deetjohn is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 10:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
'Tow Straps' are used for easy recovery of cars on track following a crash or a breakdown.
The straps in question are not these tow-straps. We are talking of colorful ( single color), fluorescent straps about 8 inches long, and tied to the rear tow-hook ( mostly). The straps bear the model of the car.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 10:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can someone please share a pic so that it can be added to the opening post for clarity? Thank you!
Here you go, along with colour options..
Attached Thumbnails
What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?-1image.jpeg  

What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?-2image.jpeg  

What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?-3image.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 10:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
'Tow Straps' are used for easy recovery of cars on track following a crash or a breakdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Here you go, along with colour options..
Not what is being discussed here. The strap mentioned above is just colourful reflector material simply hanging from the rear tow hook for show purposes. Has become very common in Bangalore over the past two months - and most of them have brand logos and names on it too.

Quite a few cars in office have these attached. Will take a picture today by evening - if no one else posts till then.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th May 2018 at 10:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 10:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Wow, I have never noticed these in Delhi. Not even once.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 10:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not what is being discussed here. The strap mentioned above is just colourful reflector material simply hanging from the rear tow hook for show purposes. Has become very common in Bangalore over the past two months.

Quite a few cars in office have these attached. Will take a picture today by evening - if no one else posts till then.
Here you go:

What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?-35a82a198ad7492fa67300fedec1ab53.jpeg

If these ribbons are really tow straps as compared to other genuine straps pictured in previous posts, then it marks a significant milestone in product development .

A friend had shared this pic only 2 days ago.

So gentlemen, what is being discussed by the OP on this thread are these straps and not the tow straps.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th May 2018 at 10:48.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 11:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
These are one of 'latest' accessories I would like to gift them to concrete mixers rather than have it behind cars that have reflective tail lamp assembly and additional reflectors anyway!
Also, we need to gift a few to those water supply tractors and garbage trucks. May be strips with double the length, width and fluorescence for better visibility.

On a lighter note, these strips will typically have competitor manufacturer's name on them. For eg, Volkswagen on Toyota, Mahindra on Tata, Toyota on Fiat etc. the list goes on.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 11:15   #14
BANNED

Quote:
These are not for show and is very helpful on a track due to the following reasons
What you have shown are rally grade tow straps which serve the purposes you have rightly mentioned, however, what is seen these days in Bangalore is a cheap imitation of them which is just a satin strip in fluorescent colors hanging on the tails of cars and even a few autos.

I will try to capture a few today and post better pictures.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 14:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?

Just had to step out and saw this cab on the road and a car in my office lot.
Attached Thumbnails
What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?-9ed3df75c83d4281a6fecce49c3ed2e8.jpeg  

What are those colorful straps hanging off the rear tow hook of cars?-9268ec5588e34328b65c20a289fc5400.jpeg  

tharian is online now   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks