Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2018, 10:20   #16
BHPian

Re: The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!

Wow. That’s a lot. How stable is it at triple digit speeds and what’s been done to make it safer. I remember civic being light in stock form and not very confidence inspiring at speeds.
Alisiddiqui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 18:30   #17
BHPian

Amazing! I have been following your Civic story from the beginning. Hats off to your perseverance in getting it right on your Civic!
Happy mile munching in your Civic.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 19:02   #18
BHPian

Dyno

The gearing changes were the first thing to be done. We evaluated adding a 6th gear, and did all the necessary research and made a list of the parts required, but in the interest of time and cost it was shelved. A decision to use accord 3,4,5 gears was taken, as Venkat had an accord gearbox lying around, which is to see some different mods soon.

We had put in new gearbox bolts the first time around itself, when the gearbox was opened to replace the damaged parts. Gearbox was opened for the 2nd time, do keep in mind that to remove the gearbox the whole engine+gearbox has to be lowered out with sub-frame. Accord gears were put in for gears 3,4,5 and the gearbox was bolted shut for what we thought was the last time.

Since it was time to get the AC system fixed, I ordered a new AC condenser from spareshub, and that was installed. Gas filling was the last thing we kept, as any issue meant a high chance of again having to remove all the gas and refill. The new clutch MC had come by then, and Venkat installed this in as well. The new MC did make a slight positive difference in the clutch pedal feel. Venkat also installed steel braided brake lines all around, and replaced the brake fluid with Motul RBF.

Since my old K&N pod filter was positioned way back in the engine bay, sucking in hot air, I had ordered a K&N apollo enclosed air filter from the U.S. Once a friend brought this down, it was sent to Bangalore, and Venkat installed it with the pipe feeding the filter near the passenger wheel arch, sucking in relatively colder air.

The K&N Apollo:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20170226wa0000.jpg

The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20170226wa0001.jpg

It was end April 2017 now. I had booked tickets for Jun 8th 2017 for a family get-together in Bangalore, and the plan was that the car is handed over then to me. Joe was around in Bangalore in April/May and he kept the car for a few days with him, tuning the part-throttle response, decel cut-off, coolant temp and IAT correction tables, idle control etc.

On May 5, 2017 Joe and Venkat drove down in the civic to RRP(now Arka Motorsports) in Coimbatore. RRP has moved there from Bangalore, and has taken the Dynapack Hub dyno there as well. This is arguably India's best dyno, people can argue for hours on why it is or why its not, I am not going to get into all that here.

May is peak summer, and the car performed flawlessly on the drive to Coimbatore from Bangalore, multiple(15-20) full throttle dyno runs in an enclosed room with insufficient airflow for summer, and drive back the same evening to Bangalore. Joe and Venkat were fairly hard on the car on the dyno, because if anything was to fail, they wanted it to fail then and there where they can fix it. Happy to report, nothing did.

A look at the red hot header will give you an idea of the multiple runs the car went through. Yet, all was good.
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-17884211_10212949816766581_5772877836113099898_n.jpg

Coming to the power figures. Over multiple runs the car gave a peak of around 230 wheel horsepower @ approx 5800RPM and around 350Nm of torque at approx 3800RPM. The multiple closely spaced lines in the image below is testament to the fact that multiple runs were done, and the results were all similar. Also, the civic was run all the time on normal highway petrol, no fancy high-octane stuff.

I have compared the dyno graph of mine(placed above) with a K04 Laura's dyno graph at the same dyno, done for a fellow TBHPians car, posted on his thread here. I know it is not the right thing to do, to compare dyno graphs from different days like this, but it is more out of curiosity.

The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-dyno.jpg

Couple of points to note about the dyno:
1.) At 2500RPM my K24 turbo civic is already making 300Nm of torque and 110whp, whereas the Laura is at 250Nm of torque and 90whp. Despite the laura being a modern direct injection engine, the K24 civic with the twin scroll turbo and larger displacement pulls well without any lag right from low RPM's we usually drive at.
2.) The Laura has a rapid surge of torque and power between 2500-3000RPM, the civic has no such sudden increase of torque, and is much more linear.
3.) The civic has a dip around 4500-5000RPM, this is when the intake cam changes. The dip seems more dramatic in the dyno graph than in real life. I have since getting the car to Gurgaon, changed the vtec crossover after considerable testing and found a sweet spot at 4200RPM, where the boost levels before and after the crossover remain constant at 10.5psi. There is a new dyno, opened up here in Delhi, and I will soon pay that a visit and post the new dyno graphs.
4.) The civic revs effortlessly to 7500RPM, but since the turbo is small, the power and torque start to drop off, and revving beyond 6500RPM while sounds great, isn't the fastest thing top do.

230whp on the RRP dyno is an extremely nice figure. Stock civic's dyno at 90whp on this dyno. So my car is making 2.5 times the power of a stock civic.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 12:30   #19
BHPian

Re: Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post

230whp on the RRP dyno is an extremely nice figure. Stock civic's dyno at 90whp on this dyno. So my car is making 2.5 times the power of a stock civic.
Oh my god! That is vRS level. May be more. Those wheels and tyres would be pleading for mercy I guess. Eager to know how to exactly drives through the top end in real world.

Last edited by rageshgr : 11th June 2018 at 12:50.
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 12:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Oh my god! That is vRS level. May be more. Those wheels and tyres would be pleading for mercy I guess. Eager to know how to exactly drives through the top end in real world.
Will post a detailed impression soon. And a comparison with the new vRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Wow. That’s a lot. How stable is it at triple digit speeds and what’s been done to make it safer. I remember civic being light in stock form and not very confidence inspiring at speeds.
The car is very stable at high speeds. The Tein coilovers combined with the Full-race traction balls(https://www.full-race.com/store/hond...raction-balls/) in the lower arms, ensure the car is planted and steers excellently. The civic always had a brilliant hydraulic power steering which is further improved with 225 section pilot sport 3's, traction balls and the Tein suspension. I drove an e90 330i and my civic back to back, and the civic felt very planted and almost as stable. For the braking, new Brembo discs all around have been combined with EBC yellow stuff pads in the front and Hawk HPS pads at the rear. This combined with the steel braided brake lines with Motul RBF result in a nice pedal feel, with no fade. Of course, one will have to resort to engine braking at high speeds to shed speed quickly.

Coming back to the build log. Now that the dyno was done, and most of the tuning work completed, it was time to fix the AC. Gas was filled and pressures checked. AC worked. But, it would cut out after some time. Venkat tried his best to diagnose it on his own, but couldn't figure out the issue. The car was taken to Honda too, they also ran diagnostics and everything seemed OK. The issue seemed to be that the compressor was cutting out because the pressure was getting too high, because of the heat in the engine bay. Using a heat wrap for the pipes at the back seemed like a sensible thing to do, and BHPian Kutlee had some heat wrap tape with him which he took over to Blackworks, and Venkat wrapped the pipes up.

The Heat wrap Tape:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20170513wa0001.jpg

Pipes all wrapped up:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20170513wa0006.jpg

This made some of a difference, but the system was still not at 100%. The cooling system was not functioning efficiently. Venkat got a bigger K24 radiator from the scrapyard, but it was too wide to fit. We then ordered a new civic radiator from Honda, to replace my old one. With this again there was a slight improvement, but not to our satisfaction.

Anyway, time was running out and I landed up in Bangalore on June 8th 2017. I had booked space in a Maruti car carrier from Bangalore to Gurgaon for the civic. Given Maruti is based in Gurgaon, my options were plenty and I could safely drive the car into the truck and even pick it up from the truck in Gurgaon. Venkat was using Evan waterless coolant so far, and we replaced it with normal coolant to see how the car responds to that. AC would still cut out occasionally and when stuck in the horrible Bangalore traffic, things would get warm near the footwell. I hoped to diagnose and sort these out at Gurgaon with more time at my disposal, so carried on with the plan of loading the car onto the truck.

The truck reached Gurgaon on June 21, 2017. I had my fingers crossed and hoped all went well during the transit stage. Luckily, nothing was damaged and the car was fine.

The car on reaching Gurgaon:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20170619wa0010.jpg

I was very happy that I finally had the car with me. First thing on my mind was a 3M germklean and detailing, as the car had spent a year and half at a garage. 3M Sultanpur is my usual go to place for a proper detail, and the guys there Tushar and Akshay did a great job on the Civic. The interiors looked showroom fresh. I also had my old headlights with me, and replaced the eagle eye headlamps my car had with these at home. The eagle eyes aged horribly and even after buffing the lenses, the low beam was non-existent and high beam was like a regular low beam. Would not recommend these after market headlights.

Car all clean and parked at home:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20170807_164944.jpg

Car parked at office, I use the civic as a daily 3-4 days in the week:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20180201_180237.jpg

Now to address the cooling issue. I had a feeling that there was some air in the system, as we changed the coolant/radiator and drained and filled in coolant multiple times during the whole build. Using a big funnel I made it sit tightly over the radiator and with the heat on, started the engine to help it burp all the air out. Almost a litre and a half of coolant went in! I took the car for a short spin in 7PM traffic, and the AC worked well, did not cut off. Of course this was a short 10 minute drive, and how the car would respond to being stuck for 30 minutes in traffic remained to be seen.

Next step was to monitor the temperatures. The Haltech supported only one ECT sensor and Venkat had configured this to the radiator out sensor, and the fans turning on and off was controlled depending on the temperature this sensor was relaying. To further diagnose the issue, with Venkat's help I configured the radiator in sensor as a generic sensor to the Haltech and started monitoring this. This sensor would spike to 120C at time, causing the coolant to sometimes overflow, when the engine was suddenly shut down after a peak traffic session. Also, my thermostat was the old thermostat which came with the engine, and it seemed suspect.

Next step was to configure the fan to turn on with the second sensor, and to replace the thermostat. I ordered the thermostat from boodmo, and since the AC condenser fan has to be removed to change this, I ordered a new motor for the fan from the U.S, as I was running a second hand fan picked up on OLX(my ac condenser fan was removed by my old tuner).

New AC condenser fan motor
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20170809wa0001.jpg

I used the makerspace facility at 3M, Sultanpur to replace the thermostat and condenser fan motor. I took my own tools, but these guys have all the tools you need and a nice car lift. Highly recommended. I filled the car up with factory premixed Castrol Radicool.

The coolant issues and AC cutting off finally seemed to be sorted and the car was running well. Since my existing Michelin PS3's had become old and hard, I replaced them with a new set. I was happily using the car and took it to a few meets, where we had a few friendly pull's against the old Laura and Octavia RS, and my car performed well. The new vRS hadn't been launched yet. One issue which began cropping up on and off, was difficulty in getting the car out of 5th gear. It was a random issue, difficult to replicate. Since I was mostly driving in and around town I did not worry too much and replaced the gear oil with Motul synthetic gear oil. Since the issue was random, the first week after shifting the Motul I did not face the 5th gear issue.

I started getting a squealing noise from the belt after some time. On inspection it showed that PS fluid was leaking onto the belt. I replaced both the O-rings on the pipes going in and out of the pump. The noise reduced, but would still come. I then found a hairline crack in the weld of the high pressure PS hose going from the pump to the rack. Since my PS pump was a K24 pump, and my pipe was a civic pipe, Venkat made a slight modification and some welds to fit the pipe to this pump. These welds failed, as PS fluid runs at very high pressure, momentarily crossing 3000PSI+ .

The leak from the hose, can see the red PS fluid:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20170820_115200.jpg

I tried various jugaad methods. Using silicone tape, JB weld, but none of them worked for a long time.

Silicone tape fix failed:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20170820_225842.jpg

So did JB weld, despite JB having a high rating of 3960PSI:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20170904_190311.jpg
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20170907_200448.jpg

In between all this, there was an open track day on November 2017 at BIC, and I was very tempted to take the civic. My belt had gotten slightly worn due to the leaky PS fluid, but I wanted to see how the car will do. On the way to BIC, when exiting the Noida expressway, the 5th gear issue cropped up, and I had to stop the car to the side and coax the gearbox out of 5th which took a good 2-3 minutes. Now I was in a huge fix, as I could not use 5th gear on the track as having a stuck 5th at the end of the back straight will be a recipe for disaster. So a decision was taken to just drive using 4 gears, this also meant there will be no point in measuring the lap times. This was my first time at BIC, I've had previous track driving experience at MMST, but BIC is a totally different track with it's long sweeping corners and switchbacks. I did 1 sighting lap, and 4 hard laps in the car before coming in to check if everything was OK. The engine, coolant temp and all was absolutely fine. My PS leak had become worse, and this also meant no more hard laps, so I just did one cool down lap.

The civic at BIC:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180101wa0021.jpg

By the time I got back home that day, my belt was totally frayed and I ordered a new belt from spareshub and replaced it at home with my wife's help. The PS hose needed a proper fix, but I wasn't finding anyone in Delhi willing to fix it or capable enough to fix it. I spent half an hour under the car at home one Sunday, trying to figure out if I should remove the pipe and send it to Venkat, but then the space constraint and downpipe was coming in the way. Spoke to Venkat, and he asked me to send the car, as then he would properly be able to diagnose the issue, and also fix the 5th gear issue by replacing the old worn out synchros. Replacing the synchros would mean getting the engine out and opening the gearbox, and it was better that Venkat did all this. Thankfully as Maruti trucks keep going to Bangalore everyday, I found space in one and loaded the civic onto the truck in December 2017, by Christmas, the truck reached Bangalore, and Venkat went and picked up the car.

Last edited by bhuvan_prasad : 12th June 2018 at 12:21.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 13:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bhuvan! I am a fan of Venkat's and his work. Hope as the build progresses we will see more at the wheels.

Quote:
On May 5, 2017 Joe and Venkat drove down in the civic to RRP(now Arka Motorsports) in Coimbatore. RRP has moved there from Bangalore, and has taken the Dynapack Hub dyno there as well. This is arguably India's best dyno, people can argue for hours on why it is or why its not, I am not going to get into all that here.
Yes it is the best, which an enthusiast has an access to in India. Worth the premium. Very consistent.

Quote:
Attachment 1770552

Coming to the power figures. Over multiple runs the car gave a peak of around 230 wheel horsepower @ approx 5800RPM and around 350Nm of torque at approx 3800RPM. The multiple closely spaced lines in the image below is testament to the fact that multiple runs were done, and the results were all similar. Also, the civic was run all the time on normal highway petrol, no fancy high-octane stuff.

I have compared the dyno graph of mine(placed above) with a K04 Laura's dyno graph at the same dyno, done for a fellow TBHPians car, posted on his thread here. I know it is not the right thing to do, to compare dyno graphs from different days like this, but it is more out of curiosity.

Attachment 1770566

Couple of points to note about the dyno:
1.) At 2500RPM my K24 turbo civic is already making 300Nm of torque and 110whp, whereas the Laura is at 250Nm of torque and 90whp. Despite the laura being a modern direct injection engine, the K24 civic with the twin scroll turbo and larger displacement pulls well without any lag right from low RPM's we usually drive at.
2.) The Laura has a rapid surge of torque and power between 2500-3000RPM, the civic has no such sudden increase of torque, and is much more linear.
3.) The civic has a dip around 4500-5000RPM, this is when the intake cam changes. The dip seems more dramatic in the dyno graph than in real life. I have since getting the car to Gurgaon, changed the vtec crossover after considerable testing and found a sweet spot at 4200RPM, where the boost levels before and after the crossover remain constant at 10.5psi. There is a new dyno, opened up here in Delhi, and I will soon pay that a visit and post the new dyno graphs.
4.) The civic revs effortlessly to 7500RPM, but since the turbo is small, the power and torque start to drop off, and revving beyond 6500RPM while sounds great, isn't the fastest thing top do.

I also had my Innova dynoed here in March this year, mine read 16 WHP lower than yours but torque was higher being a Diesel also not much RPMs. Been wanting to bring it to Venkat since months...
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 16:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I also had my Innova dynoed here in March this year, mine read 16 WHP lower than yours but torque was higher being a Diesel also not much RPMs
An Innova with those numbers?
Kindly share a link to your thread if there is one.
Old 13th June 2018, 11:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I also had my Innova dynoed here in March this year, mine read 16 WHP lower than yours but torque was higher being a Diesel also not much RPMs. Been wanting to bring it to Venkat since months...
Did I read that right? Did you say an INNOVA with 200+ BHP?

EDIT: Is it a remapped 2.8?

Last edited by 97_Octane : 13th June 2018 at 11:48. Reason: Additional question.
Old 13th June 2018, 20:02   #24
BHPian

Finally! This build log has been written brilliantly. Moreover the car is absolutely fantastic! Had the opportunity to drive it before it was shipped back to Bangalore for the gearbox fix.

It feels beautifully violent under hard acceleration and reaches silly speeds very quickly! Moreover the dampers and tyres make the car super planted. Absolutely cannot wait to drive it again.
mrpitt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 20:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
An Innova with those numbers?
Kindly share a link to your thread if there is one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Did I read that right? Did you say an INNOVA with 200+ BHP?

EDIT: Is it a remapped 2.8?
Yes its an Innova Crysta. 214WHP and 567NM at wheels. It was running a piggyback tuned by myself, almost stock engine except In & Out airflow mods and some other minor changes. It is not documented completely anywhere; some of it is in the assembly line, some of it in is in my blog and some still in my head and not jotted down anywhere yet. I have removed that due to certain reasons; but not related to the vehicle or the system. Now using another system, will dyno after some customisation.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 14:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Yes its an Innova Crysta. 214WHP and 567NM at wheels.
With all due respect to what the Innova Crysta is capable of, I can't help but wonder why would you choose it for such a high torque output tune. A low slung sedan is a good contender of getting such a tune, not a body on frame UV.
Old 15th June 2018, 16:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
With all due respect to what the Innova Crysta is capable of, I can't help but wonder why would you choose it for such a high torque output tune. A low slung sedan is a good contender of getting such a tune, not a body on frame UV.
Never mind why I did that to the Innova, I would probably do the same if i owned any other car or a bus.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 22:22   #28
BHPian

The Journey Back

Venkat had approximately a month to fix the gearing and PS hose leak issue. Car was driving absolutely fine otherwise. Once he got the car, he dropped the engine+GB alongwith the subframe and opened up the gearbox. New synchros were ordered from Trident Honda, and he put these in and sealed the gearbox. Clutch etc, looked good, and not much dust or anything was visible in the bell housing. Gearbox was installed back. Next up was the leaky PS hose. He welded the hairline crack, and passed pressurized air to see if it would leak, and everything seemed good. But, on using the steering the spike in pressure would cause issues again, and this welding did not seem like a permanent solution. The best way out which was what was finally done, was to make a solid aluminium adapter plate which would bolt onto the pump outlet, and the high pressure hose would then bolt onto this. This finally fixed the whole issue.

Can see the PS hose bracket and the final engine bay look in this pic:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20180204_112609.jpg

I also ordered new headlamps fron JC road, as my old OEM ones had dust in them. Since the headlamps in the civic aren't great, I ordered bixenon projectors from Xenonplanet, XP Micro V2 and sent them over to Venkat for installation. Venkat removed the black moulded plastic part of the bumper, deisgned the mounting bracket in AutoCAD, and printed it onto an aluminium sheet, which was painted matt black, and then fit onto the bumper.

You can see the final light output VS a VRs high beam. Civic is on the left.
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180220wa0033.jpg

I landed in Bangalore on the 24th of January 2018, and that night we met up with Nikhil and did a few pulls with his VRs on NICE road. The civic was as fast, till the better gearing and fabulous DSG of the VRs made it pull away at high speeds. It was a fun drive, and the car performed flawlessly, holding its own against the VRs.

The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180125wa0002.jpg

The car all set to leave Blackworks.
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-27267969_10155491750648922_1712121754_o.jpg

I had planned to drive down from Bangalore to Gurgaon. Yes, I haven't made a typo. I did a cross-country trip in what is probably one of the most heavily modded cars in the country. On 26th January I drove to Hyderabad and spent a night there. My wife had flown down from Delhi to Hyd, and she joined me for the Hyd-Gurgaon leg. The plan was to drive only during the day, do Hyd-Sagar on day 1 and Sagar-Gurgaon on day 2.

We started on Jan 28th morning from Hyd and breezed through into Maharashtra. The car was giving around 10-5-11km/l, and I did not expect more. Once we crossed into MH the roads were non-existent, but the civic took it all easily and we had lunch at Nagpur. After that we were on a single lane road which goes via Chindwara, and about 90km before Sagar, we rejoined the 4 lane highway. My wife drove the last 120 odd km that day, and she loved the experience. We reached our hotel in Sagar quite fresh.

Started relatively late at 8:30AM the next day. The stretch from Sagar to Jhansi was fine, but the Jhansi - Gwalior stretch was bad. Had lunch on the outskirts of Gwalior and reached Agra by 3:15PM. This was a Monday, and this meant we got off the Yamuna expressway and hit peak Noida-Delhi traffic at 6PM. My wife drove the stretch from Agra to Noida. The car was fine even in the heavy traffic and we were home in Gurgaon by 7:40PM. The civic completed the journey quite easily and without any issue at all.

It was again time for a 3M germklean and wash & wax session.
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20180201_131308.jpg

Once back, the civic again started the usual routine of being my daily for 3-4 days in the week, and going to car meets.

A few pics from the meets in Gurgaon.
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180224wa0061.jpg
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180224wa0062.jpg
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180224wa0063.jpg

I installed a windows tab by the means of 2 magnetic mounts onto the dash, and use it for any tuning changes and to keep an eye on all the parameters.

Driver's view:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img_20180607_182701.jpg

View at night:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180216wa0034.jpg

Moving onto the dyno graph and power/torque matters. 300whp is quite common in the U.S for stock K24’s running around 10 psi of boost. However, given the smaller turbo being used here and a conservative tune, given that I often fill normal petrol at random pumps on the highway, we always knew from the start that getting to 300whp will be tough. These K24’s breathe very well, and the turbo we’re using is at least two sizes too small - it is quite popular with the D16 crowd. This means the turbine section starts choking up after 5500RPM. It is unable to efficiently push this much mass of exhaust flow, and this causes back-pressure in the header and combustion chamber. Since the exhaust gas scavenging is not happening properly, we actually have to start reducing the fuelling after 5500RPM to the rev limit (~6900RPM), as enough fresh air is unable to come in, due to the existing gases from the previous cycle. Free EGR, anyone?

So, we are probably hitting a wall with this turbo at this power level, with respect to the peak power. Any attempt to up the power using a bigger turbine housing and / or compressor wheel is not a wise option as the stock connecting rods on the k24A1 are the next weak link, and I would not want to be end up with a bent rod.

K24A1 rod(on the right) Vs a forged rod, can see the massive difference in width.

The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-rods.jpg

A bigger turbo would mean a new manifold and hundred other things, and this is not at all on the cards right now, as the car is extremely fast and immensely fun to drive because of the instant response from low revs.

The dyno was over a year ago and the car has run around 8000Kms since then. I thought it wise to do a dyno run again, as I’d been making small changes to the tune, experimenting with the VTEC crossover, various corrections tables, tuning for higher octane fuel etc., helped by the courses I’ve been taking from HPA(High Performance Academy). I headed over to Speed-sport where Phil has recently installed a dyno. Akshay of GT Tunerz was helpful in organizing the whole thing.

Car on the dyno:
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-dyno1.jpg
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-dyno2.jpg

I did a few pulls in 2nd and 3rd with Akshay on the way to the dyno, so that we had a good idea of how the car felt and pulled before we made changes on the dyno. It was a very hot day, reported temperatures were 43C and temperatue at the dyno was 50C, can be seen in the dyno graph posted below.

The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-dyno-graph.jpg

As you can see, the dip before 4500RPM which was there earlier has totally vanished, and instead what we can see in a nice bump in power post VTEC at 4200RPM. Phil is an RRP partner, and told me that cars read 10-15whp less on his dyno, than when compared to the RRP Coimbatore hub dyno. My car read around 5whp less at 225whp. Just for comparision, a Mustang GT(rated at 396BHP) went onto the dyno after my Civic, and it did 298-300whp on the dyno. My power to weight ratio seems slightly better :P.

Roller dyno’s smoothen out graphs much more than hyb dyno’s, which again can be seen in the way power and torque build up. We tried experimenting with the VTEC crossover, in various gears and found my earlier set point of 4200RPM to be perfect. On adding timing the car was giving a lot of extra power, but keeping in mind my running, timing was kept conservative at the end, but was increased by a few degrees than before. We made some minor changes to the fuelling in boost to make it ideal. After about 25+ runs in the heat, the car was still absolutely fine, though Phil and I were drenched! On the way back, the way the car was pulling post VTEC really surprised Akshay and me, and this tune can definitely be made more aggressive if I fill only power 99. Will keep that for the future though. Right now I am enjoying the car as it is.

Last edited by bhuvan_prasad : 15th June 2018 at 22:23.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 22:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Your thread is making me miss my Turbo Civic more than ever.

Very nice report and the car of course is a stonker. Brilliant machine.

Hope you're able to do a few trackdays once the weather improves in Delhi.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 11:56   #30
BHPian

Timing Runs!!

The one thing lacking so far in the thread were a few timed acceleration runs. The weather in NCR has been just horrible the past couple of months, with temperatures constantly above 35C, but I could not wait till winter, as the itch to do a few runs was getting intolerable.

Finally, made up my mind to get it done this Saturday, as I had some free time over a weekend, and a friend volunteered to record the runs. Autocar publishing this article on the same day also helped in giving my timing runs some perspective - https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...-driven-409069

Coming to the runs. All runs were done on a slightly uphill stretch(as can be seen in my G-Tech Pro) with 2 passengers on-board and 80% fuel. Day temperature was around 36C.

0-100 in 6.37s
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180825wa0008.jpg
One has to shift into 3rd to hit 100, so that's two gearshifts that happen, still 6.37s is not too shabby. There is no point in flooring it in 1st, as it'll wheel spin tremendously, so one has to be careful with the throttle inputs and clutch release. Of-course, given that there is no lag, I was launching from 2700-3000 RPM, no need to dump the clutch at high revs.

0-160 in 15.0s
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180825wa0005.jpg
There is no letup in acceleration post 100km/h and the car breaches the 160Km/h mark in another 8.5s in 4th gear.

1/4 mile in 14.4s at 157.7 Km/h
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180825wa0007.jpg
A trap speed of almost 100MPH, is a decent achievement for any car.

Comparision with the Modified Laura/Octavia:
Looking at the Autocar article with the modded laura's/Octavia, my civic is faster by 0.5s to 160km/h than a Pete's stage 3 Laura with a JBS hybrid turbo upgrade. It is around 1.5s slower to 160 than a current gen stage2+ Octavia vRS though, which is expected given the DSG and launch control etc. that the Octavia has.

The car has been doing the usual home-office runs 2-3 times during the week, and meeting up with other enthusiasts during the weekend. A few friendly drags have happened, and she has never left me dissapointed so far.

A few pics with a friend's car.
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180815wa0024.jpg
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180815wa0026.jpg
The story of India's first 2.4L Turbo Honda Civic!-img20180815wa0029.jpg

Disclaimer: The runs were done on a closed stretch near BIC in Greater Noida. I actually drove 70km one way just to get here from home.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th August 2018 at 17:08. Reason: Restricting to the policy limit of unto 2 smileys/post.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks