Team-BHP - Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/200214-comprehensive-guide-led-headlight-upgrades-14.html)

Has anyone put an LED setup on a stock Rapid? If yes can you please guide me how to go about it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4613012)
LED's on a Brio? I don't remember Brio ever coming with LED tail lights. Stock LED's almost never fail.

Were these aftermarket? And if yes then what brand? LED tail lamps of cheap chinese brands are no more reliable than halogen bulbs. Pretty useless even if you pay more and think you got a branded one.

Only LED's which will last will be Philips or Osram when it comes to tail lights.

You buy what is available. The LED tailight bulbs were not exactly cheap Rs.2500 each. They came highly recommended. But such is my luck. As for Osram or Philips they were not available. Even if they were Rs.5000 each i would have bought them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabh2711 (Post 4612981)
Firstly look for the issues with reflectors, have they worn out with issues such as faded glass or reflector polish not upto the mark. You may have to replace them first. Then go for bulb upgrade. If reflectors have issues, no bulb can help. Suggested this due to yours being 2005 model. It can be in good shape as well. (NOM)

If you have double barrel setup (separate reflectors for Hi and Low beams): Philips Extreme Vision (+130) of same wattage should give you better illumination. They are available in H1, H7, H11 & H4.

These are the most suggested options on this forum:
Other option is upgrade to higher wattage with a relay from Hella or Roots. You have options of 100/90 or 130/90 or 130/100. for this upgrade I am assuming that yours is an H4 setup.
Buying extreme vision H4 will cost nearly the same as upgrading with relay.
As others have clearly mentioned this upgrade will have its on drawbacks such as excessive heat for reflectors, extra load on batteries.
Do explore options of installing auxiliary driving lights as well from Hella, KC, Nughtforce etc.

Thank you so much Saurabh!

Yes. The glass of the headlights had developed a haze/oxidation. I polished them myself and they look good as new.

The headlights are double barrel ( Didn't realize there was a term for this set up)

I feel the high wattage option is really good. I can buy a spare set of headlight body and use the highwattage light on my current headligh housing.

I previously tried HID in my Chevy Beat and boy did I screw it up royally. But if I were to install HID only for the high beams, would that work ? ( only interested is long range visibility, don't care about color/spread.)

Thanks a lot for your reply !:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashwat B (Post 4613219)
. But if I were to install HID only for the high beams, would that work ? ( only interested is long range)

Hey Shashwat
. Low beams stay on even when hi beams are turned on. Or in simple terms you have two seperate bulbs for hi and low beams. I am not sure if there are relays available for double barrels. Hence High wattage may go out of picture in your case. Apologies was not aware of your cars' setuo.; Hence irrelevant suggestion.

HIDs are are clear No-No for reflectors. All gurus will kill us if we install hid even after going through this thread. You will not gain anything. Only glare to oncoming traffic.
I will still wait for other experts to revert on your query. And if they suggest any LED options for you.

In the interim go to page number 9 of this this thread and read after post#128. Read posts from Johnn. He has done setup using LEDs from Philips Ultinon. The results look good in the pics he shared. Hope this helps.

I beg to differ on the dazzle part. I have with evidence posted on this forum in the Cruze section that the dazzle from Philips HID kit is far lower than that with normal 100/90 Philips Rally bulbs. This is specific to the Cruze Headlight system. The same Philips HID kit in the Indica is a dazzling nightmare. In fact any HID bulb in the Cruze gives equal dazzle of a 60/55 incandescent bulb.

When going the HID route 4300 kelvin is an acceptable compromise.The best option to meet C.R.I criteria would be over driven( with 55 watt ballast) 4300 kelvin main beams which will get it to about 3900 kelvin with normally driven 35 watt 3000 kelvin HID kit in the fog or auxiliary lamps. I have lived with all three types of bulbs in the past 8 years and frankly though the HID gives much more light output; but because of poor CRI a 100/80 Osram All Weather is only a tad weaker in the department of being able to see the road and obstacles on the road.

What ever light system you opt for make sure its at the very minimum 88 on the Colour Rendition Index (C.R.I). As far as I know only the MZ chips among LED chips meet the bare minimum criteria. If the intention is to dazzle oncoming truck drivers then look no further than the XHP70 chips but the LED drivers and fan assembly do not last more than 1 year.

For the rainy season next year or the year after do not use HID or LED.

Please conserve water this year. It is going to be really bad this year. Serious.

https://www.lumileds.com/company/blo...-high-cri-leds

I got my taillight LED replaced. Matches the old one exactly. Damages 500 only. I was also getting one headlamp replaced at the same time for under INR 3800. Obviously the reflector was also damaged, since the beam is far better.The headlight was OE Both jobs were outside Honda from an independent.

I am planning to get LED bulbs (Fog Lights) for my Nexon XZ+. Any Ideas how does DHC brand fares, costing me around 7K ? Are there any other good options around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agspins (Post 4614180)
I am planning to get LED bulbs (Fog Lights) for my Nexon XZ+. Any Ideas how does DHC brand fares, costing me around 7K ? Are there any other good options around.

I am not aware of any LED in the 2700-3000K area. They are even more than daylight, so are not the best for use as fogs. But then it is your choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agspins (Post 4614180)

I've seen a few LED fog lamps. They are not that impressive. I would suggest to go for Hella Knight rider(55w) lamps. They are perfect fit for nexon.

https://www.amazon.in/Hella-Knight-R.../dp/B01FQG0ZUW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashwat B (Post 4613219)
But if I were to install HID only for the high beams, would that work ? ( only interested is long range visibility, don't care about color/spread.)

I would not recommend this. Since you have a double barrel setup, flashing your lights will be an issue with HIDs.

Not only will the slow start-up time make flashing ineffective, but it will also shorten the span of your bulbs/relays significantly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabh2711 (Post 4613520)
Hey Shashwat
. Low beams stay on even when hi beams are turned on. Or in simple terms you have two seperate bulbs for hi and low beams. I am not sure if there are relays available for double barrels. Hence High wattage may go out of picture in your case. Apologies was not aware of your cars' setuo.; Hence irrelevant suggestion.

HIDs are are clear No-No for reflectors. All gurus will kill us if we install hid even after going through this thread. You will not gain anything. Only glare to oncoming traffic.
I will still wait for other experts to revert on your query. And if they suggest any LED options for you.

In the interim go to page number 9 of this this thread and read after post#128. Read posts from Johnn. He has done setup using LEDs from Philips Ultinon. The results look good in the pics he shared. Hope this helps.

LED's are priced very high ( Philips) and I am not a fan of the white light. However, mine is a H1 setup. After reading about LED for only high beam and the famous Cut-off of led lamps, I have put it on hold.

The issue is that my high beam H1 have Philips xtreme vision and the Low beams h7 have Osram nightbreaker.

For in city conditions, it's fine. But on an empty stretch or places where highbeams are needed, it's a big let down.

I managed to find Osram ralley H1 12v 100w bulbs. Installed them and was concerned about requiring relays but turns out they work fine.

They are super bright and have solved my problem.

@saurabh, do you think I could end up wrecking the headlamps or possible have a fire in the car?
As of now, I am only driving on well light roads and rarely use highbeam. I plan to drive the car for about an hour or so on the highway with high beams on and check the temperature of the bulb socket etc. I don't mind risking the loss of headlight housing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashwat B (Post 4616373)
I managed to find Osram rally H1 12v 100w bulbs. Installed them and was concerned about requiring relays but turns out they work fine.

@saurabh, do you think I could end up wrecking the headlamps or possible have a fire in the car?

Sorry to barge-in sir, but it is better if you get the Osram Rally H1 (100W) bulbs installed with relays. It is a safety measure and will protect the car and its electrical system. Not advisable to use the 100W on stock wiring as they are designed for 55-60W IIRC.

Hello Bhpians,

I own a ‘14 Innova and I am totally unsatisfied with the out put of the stock headlights and fog lamps. Will changing the setup to all led 6000k will make a considerable change in the output ? If yes, then please advise me which brands to get.

Thanking in advance,
EK

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revvliner22 (Post 4616487)
Hello Bhpians,

I own a ‘14 Innova and I am totally unsatisfied with the out put of the stock headlights and fog lamps. Will changing the setup to all led 6000k will make a considerable change in the output ? If yes, then please advise me which brands to get.

Thanking in advance,
EK

Hi, In my mini research, I have realized the following,

1. Led don't offer much interms of Long distance visibility.

2. LED's have a sharp cutoff

3. LED's are good for low beam as the spread is wide.

4 in would recommend shifting to halogen 100w light bulbs. It would be the cheapest one. I have just done the same on my car for the high beams and am super happy with it.

5. If you want to go in for LED. Make sure you have a projector housing else the LEDs won't make any difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashwat B (Post 4616602)
Hi, In my mini research, I have realized the following,

1. Led don't offer much interms of Long distance visibility.

2. LED's have a sharp cutoff

3. LED's are good for low beam as the spread is wide.

4 in would recommend shifting to halogen 100w light bulbs. It would be the cheapest one. I have just done the same on my car for the high beams and am super happy with it.

5. If you want to go in for LED. Make sure you have a projector housing else the LEDs won't make any difference.

Hi,
Thank you for the inputs. I think changing to 100w bulbs without relay would cause an excessive strain on the battery. Please correct me if I am wrong.:thumbs up