Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 10:21   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Here's a nice guide why 3 or 4 sided (read CHEAP) headlight LED bulbs DON'T work and why thin and perfectly designed 2 sided LED bulbs like the Philips Ultinons for example, work perfectly in reflector headlights with near perfect beam pattern. If you are still not convinced, God bless you...

Cheers...
Thanks this is a nice video. Only thing is that this video is 2 years too late. I had already done all these experiments with LED bulbs and came to same conclusion in my thread. Infact the bulb he rated the best at the end is what I have in my car Xenon Depot Xtreme Pro Led.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...s-upgrade.html (DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade)

Also if you look at the video you will realise what I meant in my initial post. You need to point the light at a wall (not in a busy lane). Once you have the light pointed at a wall you need to see the height of the beam cut off. For LED's it usually shifts up and needs to be adjusted using the screws.

Then you need to see if cut off is sharp, hot spot is in the centre and there is a proper pattern for both low and high beam.

Only after you do the above will you be able to tell if the LEd is good or not.

Else just like the video showed you will get very high LUX values from LED but no meaningful light.

Hopefully this explains my earlier post. Only difference was that I am not a guy from USA who created a fancy Youtube video that people think is the bible, I am just a member from Team-BHP.com who created a thread with the same content and exact same conclusion.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 01:05   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Here's a nice guide why 3 or 4 sided (read CHEAP) headlight LED bulbs DON'T work and why thin and perfectly designed 2 sided LED bulbs like the Philips Ultinons for example, work perfectly in reflector headlights with near perfect beam pattern. If you are still not convinced, God bless you...

Cheers...
And here is a nice guide why Headlight Revolution's lux readings and videos about how much brighter some LED bulb is should not be trusted:

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-163291.jpg

Mod Note: It is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Please submit images ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd March 2020 at 04:45. Reason: Video link removed from quote, image aligned
Rizzysson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 18:21   #258
BHPian

Bhpians, what is your take on this?

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/columni...are-dangerous/
Old 5th April 2020, 19:48   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzysson View Post
And here is a nice guide why Headlight Revolution's lux readings and videos about how much brighter some LED bulb is should not be trusted:

Attachment 1982810
Have a close look at the graphs, pretty much all of them are just throwing blue light at your face for the most part. An Inherent problem with LED, they are blue.

Probably by accident they have mentioned CRI 70 and 90 in some of the labels, that is a clue. The high CRI numbers are perhaps achieved using a filter reducing overall light output. Color rendering of LEDs have some catching up to do in comparison to halogen, that is where you will find it difficult to see at night although it appears brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Else just like the video showed you will get very high LUX values from LED but no meaningful light.
This is true, I still do not think aftermarket LED on halogen reflector is a good idea. The ones with OE LED headlights have a very different reflector design in comparison to halogen.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 12:03   #260
BHPian

Hi guys. I have the updated Ecosport with halogen projectors. I changed both high and low beams to 35W DHC LEDs but they aren’t quite satisfying. They cost me quite a bit, 11000 for the 4 bulbs and I am still not satisfied. I got in touch with autobahn and they have a 55W LED called the f5 pro, claiming to be specially for projectors. Now I am torn between trying that, or the osram 35W HID kit. I’ll move to the high beams once I am satisfied with the low beams. What do you guys think is better? The HID or the 55W LED? Also if any of you have any personal experience with either of them, it’d be very helpful. Thank you.
Old 21st June 2020, 16:11   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bled_soul View Post
Hi guys. I have the updated Ecosport with halogen projectors. I changed both high and low beams to 35W DHC LEDs but they aren’t quite satisfying. They cost me quite a bit, 11000 for the 4 bulbs
I recommend you don't spend any more money and time on LEDs. The best light output that you can get with your projectors is with 55w Morimoto HIDs (4500k). With HIDs the beam pattern and light distribution is perfect. No leds can match that and led wattages claimed are no where near 55w which they claim. After having tried 4 different LED bulbs on my Jeep Compass I settled on HIDs (though mine are 42w Dmex canbus HID kits with Yeaky 4300k bulbs which I got from Aliexpress and installed myself. I am using the same kits on my Laura too and trust me nothing comes close to HiDs if your car already has projectors. Depending on the level of light required you can opt for 35w or 55w as per your wish.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 18:50   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I recommend you don't spend any more money and time on LEDs. The best light output that you can get with your projectors is with 55w Morimoto HIDs (4500k). With HIDs the beam pattern and light distribution is perfect. No leds can match that and led wattages claimed are no where near 55w which they claim. After having tried 4 different LED bulbs on my Jeep Compass I settled on HIDs (though mine are 42w Dmex canbus HID kits with Yeaky 4300k bulbs which I got from Aliexpress and installed myself. I am using the same kits on my Laura too and trust me nothing comes close to HiDs if your car already has projectors. Depending on the level of light required you can opt for 35w or 55w as per your wish.
Thank you, buddy! Will the 55W Morimoto HID bulb be a plug and play into the h7 connector, like the osram HID? It actually has an h18 connector but there’s very little difference between the two connectors.
Old 21st June 2020, 19:24   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, buddy! Will the 55W Morimoto HID bulb be a plug and play into the h7 connector, like the osram HID? It actually has an h18 connector but there’s very little difference between the two connectors.
Yes the HID kits are all plug and play and easy to install and involve no wire cutting. Just be sure to take the right version ( canbus or non canbus type) and the correct lamp type so it is perfectly compatible with your car. (Do get it professionally installed if you are not confident of doing it yourself.) In my case, doing my Skoda Laura installation was a 20 min task as the headlights are easily removable and the whole assembly fit inside the headlight units, whereas in case of my Jeep Compass, it took well over 3 hours as the headlights very difficult to access!
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:55   #264
BHPian

Guys please avoid buying from Autobahn. They don't honour warranty on the products. I bought one set of led bulbs from them in may 2018 with 2 year warranty and both the bulbs have conked off. First they asked me to send the video of the bulbs switched on, which I did in January 2020 and now they are refusing to replace the bulbs.
They are telling me as per our policy if there is a defect within 15 mnths we replace it and after that we only give 50% of the purchase price. At the time of buying the bulb they didn't have any such policy and 2 yrs warranty is clearly mentioned without any riders.
Extremely unprofessional people and the guys handling the sales/customer service are extremely arrogant and rude specially Mr.Salman with whom I was dealing. I even told him I will be putting a feedback on amazon about the experience but he was least bothered about it and tells me that we are the top selling brand.. so it doesn't matter.
teefosi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 13:42   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I concur with LEDs not being effective on stock projectors. HID is the way to go.
Old 30th June 2020, 16:24   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys. I have the updated Ecosport with halogen projectors. I changed both high and low beams to 35W DHC LEDs but they aren’t quite satisfying. They cost me quite a bit, 11000 for the 4 bulbs and I am still not satisfied. I got in touch with autobahn and they have a 55W LED called the f5 pro, claiming to be specially for projectors. Now I am torn between trying that, or the osram 35W HID kit. I’ll move to the high beams once I am satisfied with the low beams. What do you guys think is better? The HID or the 55W LED? Also if any of you have any personal experience with either of them, it’d be very helpful. Thank you.
Just wanted to pull your attention to this thread if I am not so late.

Looks like you have the new ecosport, then I am not sure of how helpful this would be. But for older Ecosport's like the one I own from 2014 - there is an alternative by upgrading the fog lamps to BiXenon HID's as well

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-ecosport.html (DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport)

I just got hold of mine - delivered today. Will have by installation update in a couple of days.

Cheers
Jim
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:15   #267
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Hello there!

After getting sick and tired of OEM Philips D1S 4300K candles in the bi-xenon projectors, I decided to go for some low-cost aftermarket 6000k HIDs. But that didn't help much as well. Decided to go the LED route but unable to remove ballast (situated below headlights) and the plan was put on hold.

In about Oct '19, saw some plug and play stuff on Aliexpress which could plug directly into the ballast output. Hence, it was decided then and there that I must try this 6500K 4000Lm 35w contraption:

https://aliexpi.com/sB5N

Not as good as some on the thread by in my eyes, the results are fantastic (for 10 year old faded and cloudy headlight plastic). Not much when in well-lit places, but in darkness, they work really well. Consequentially, upgraded reflector high beams to H3 LEDs as well

Here is a video of my driving back home from work:

Some photos as well:
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-2020.06.3017.47-2.png  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-2020.06.3017.47_01-2.png  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20191127_203152.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-2020.06.3018.53-2.png  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20191223_191500.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20200214_190240.jpg  

vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 00:50   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Just wanted to pull your attention to this thread if I am not so late.

Looks like you have the new ecosport, then I am not sure of how helpful this would be. But for older Ecosport's like the one I own from 2014 - there is an alternative by upgrading the fog lamps to BiXenon HID's as well

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-ecosport.html (DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport)

I just got hold of mine - delivered today. Will have by installation update in a couple of days.

Cheers
Jim
Thanks Jim. I actually went ahead and changed the LEDs in the low beam projectors to HIDs by osram. Haven’t had the opportunity to do a full blown test yet, but the initial impressions seem promising. I can’t go with the fog projector setup cuz in the new EcoSport, fog housing is in that weird triangular shape, which makes it very difficult to fit a projector. I have half a mind to buy a pair of fog lamps from ford and tinker with some projectors. If any of you members have any idea where I could get a pair of fog lamps, please let me know.
bled_soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 05:22   #269
BHPian

Hi there,

We own a 2019 facelifted MS Ciaz Delta varient. The lighting on the car is inadequate and hence we plan on upgrading the same to an LED setup or something equilant. I am also open to cheaper option if they are potent and reliable and doesn't affect the warranty.

I am currently in my early stage of research and hence my knowledge ok lights and the various options and very limited. I came across the OEM LED setup on the Alpha varient, it is a perfect fit for my car and I am am told will not void my warranty. In addition this adds an aesthetic appeal to the car due to the DRL the LED fog lamps. As per the spare parts price list published on a third party website, the cost of the LED headlight assembly is about 22k a piece in addition to the LED fog lamps. The entire set up may cost about 50k.

Is this worth the money, teambhp official review gave a positive feedback about the LED setup on the Alpha model. Please advice if this is worth th money and if there are other cost effective alternatives to get a similar result.
Old 15th July 2020, 09:47   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessierider View Post
Hi there,

We own a 2019 facelifted MS Ciaz Delta varient. The lighting on the car is inadequate and hence we plan on upgrading the same to an LED setup or something equilant. I am also open to cheaper option if they are potent and reliable and doesn't affect the warranty.

I am currently in my early stage of research and hence my knowledge ok lights and the various options and very limited. I came across the OEM LED setup on the Alpha varient, it is a perfect fit for my car and I am am told will not void my warranty. In addition this adds an aesthetic appeal to the car due to the DRL the LED fog lamps. As per the spare parts price list published on a third party website, the cost of the LED headlight assembly is about 22k a piece in addition to the LED fog lamps. The entire set up may cost about 50k.

Is this worth the money, teambhp official review gave a positive feedback about the LED setup on the Alpha model. Please advice if this is worth th money and if there are other cost effective alternatives to get a similar result.
IMHO INR 50k is way too much moolah for OE spec which isn't the best output on the planet. If you are paranoid about the warranty then maybe yes but there are much better options available aftermarket.

Since the delta version already comes with OE projectors in it (I assume), a HID setup would be better suited for your purpose than going the LED route. The cost of procuring a good HID setup and installing it should be around half of 50k too. Although LED bulbs might work with the projector, they will not even perform as well as the stock setup!
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks