Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:12   #346

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Hello guys,

Just wanted to check if any of you have upgraded the bulbs in their MG Hector 2021 model. I somehow feel the lights aren't sufficient for night driving. I have LEDs in my Headlight and Halogens in my Fog light.

Showroom guys said if I need to upgrade to LEDs in the Fog light too, I need to get the light assembly changed. (Not sure why)

Please share insights if anyone has upgraded. TIA!
Old 3rd September 2021, 08:19   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
I’m my Harrier XZA+ the stock light is HID projector , but find it insufficient for night driving on roads without street lights. Kindly let me know what are my options to increase the throw.
Your throw cannot be changed, you can try using the headlight level adjustment for that. But you can get better light intensity in the same area by switching to a brighter LED.

This is quite weird. We find out headlights ineffective in the face of opposing high beams or lot of ambient light. But in absolute darkness our eyes adjust perfectly to the output of our headlights.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 14:56   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For best results get 100/90W with a relay in the headlights and replace the OEM fog lamps with HID projectors (₹6000-₹7500). I can't think of any other way to improve the lighting setup.
Would you be able to recommend HID projector setups for the fog lamps that are good and that cost less than 10k? I was initially thinking of retrofitting Morimoto XB LED projector lights in the foglamps but then realized that they would not be protected as fog lamps in the bumper and could easily break if there were to be a minor bump. Am I justified in being scared to install expensive projectors in the fog lamps? Are there sub 10k setups that could offer a significant lighting upgrade? How would the installation occur? Would I be able to adjust the beam when the lights are installed as low as they will be in the bumper where fog lamps are?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd September 2021 at 14:58.
Old 5th September 2021, 10:53   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
This is quite weird. We find out headlights ineffective in the face of opposing high beams or lot of ambient light. But in absolute darkness our eyes adjust perfectly to the output of our headlights.
Very true!! I have 4 philips 15w LEDs installed(headlamps and fog lamps) and was fearing about the visibility as it isn't great when there's ambient light around. But surprisingly, these provided better visibility than the existing 4 stock 55/60W halogens when I had a night drive over national highway(which has 0 ambient lighting 95% of the time)
shravansp24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 13:03   #350

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

This is the original bulb inside XUV 300 W8 Projector. I was looking for similar LEDs with colour temperature 4000 to 4500 K. All suggestions welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-h7-osram.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-h7-osram-projectors.jpg  

Old 6th September 2021, 00:34   #351
BHPian

Hello everyone, I own a 3rd Generation Honda City 2012.

I have a 100/90 setup with a relay, and still I struggle in scenarios with oncoming traffic + rains + potholes and with that I am also facing an issue of windows fogging up.

The headlights abruptly stop working too, and with constant use of the car, I find it irritating that I'm driving 80% blind, and dad has a bigger risk.

I don't want complete white lights as I have read that they're useless in rains.

What can you all suggest? Should I upgrade fog lamps? As long as the road is well lit up (in rains + oncoming high beam conditions) I'm okay with upgrading either fog lamps or headlights.

Please suggest.
Old 6th September 2021, 12:35   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Would you be able to recommend HID projector setups for the fog lamps that are good and that cost less than 10k? I was initially thinking of retrofitting Morimoto XB LED projector lights in the foglamps but then realized that they would not be protected as fog lamps in the bumper and could easily break if there were to be a minor bump. Am I justified in being scared to install expensive projectors in the fog lamps? Are there sub 10k setups that could offer a significant lighting upgrade? How would the installation occur? Would I be able to adjust the beam when the lights are installed as low as they will be in the bumper where fog lamps are?
For a wagon R it should be very simple. Just check if it has a 3 inch hole for fog lamps. If yes there are 2 easily available foglamps by Iph:

1. iph M617 Bi-Led. These are 30 watt x2 projectors with led modules. Decent output and good spread. Costs 5500 a pair. Does not need any relays. i also have bought these and will soon install them.

2. iph m612 HID projectors with a 55w HID kit. Will cost 6500-8000 for the pair depending on which brand of HID you get. Needs a relay added but this will bring amazing output on road.

For both the adjustment can be done during install if they are aimed too high or too low.
Mr. Nobody is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 12:58   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post

I have a 100/90 setup with a relay, and still I struggle in scenarios with oncoming traffic + rains + potholes and with that I am also facing an issue of windows fogging up.

The headlights abruptly stop working too, and with constant use of the car, I find it irritating that I'm driving 80% blind, and dad has a bigger risk.
The reflector design is not the best for night driving however it isn't all that bad.

A few things to check.

1. Wiring & Voltage drop at the holders.
2. New bulbs
3. Headlamp alignment.
4. Clarity of the reflector \ lens.

These are cheaper than installing something else into it.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 11:52   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post

I don't want complete white lights as I have read that they're useless in rains.

What can you all suggest? Should I upgrade fog lamps? As long as the road is well lit up (in rains + oncoming high beam conditions) I'm okay with upgrading either fog lamps or headlights.

Please suggest.
Let's start with small things that do little by little for the visibility.

Apply wax on the windshield and the headlight and fog light lenses and clean them before and after every drive.

The wax won't allow water or dirt to stay on the headlight lenses and windshield. A minor improvement will be noticed.

Why your headlights are going on and off??
I want to bet my money on faulty/loose wiring at your new aftermarket relay.
If confident, please check them yourself and also include pictures here so we can chime in with out inputs. I am confident it will be an easy/extremely cheap fix.

Honda city fog lights can be refitted with projector lights. Even if you put white color lights there, it will be bright enough to illuminate better than dim old halogens. PLease quote me when you are posting here. Would like to help as much as I can.

pls add a budget
Old 10th September 2021, 21:01   #355
BHPian

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade stock headlights on my Swift. A local garage near to my house suggested Bosch iris leds, these will cost around 6k. Any reviews for these? Or please suggest a good one.
Old 13th September 2021, 14:08   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade stock headlights on my Swift. A local garage near to my house suggested Bosch iris leds, these will cost around 6k. Any reviews for these? Or please suggest a good one.
A better option is to get iPH HID fog lamp set for 7k approx. These will outperform any plug-and-play led bulb.
Old 15th September 2021, 12:03   #357
BHPian

Hello guys,

Planning for upgrade for 2011 civic, headlights, selected the below options

https://www.autofurnish.com/9006-900...or-honda-civic

OR

Can you please check once and let me know which one should i go for.

Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 14:09   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Hello guys,

Planning for upgrade for 2011 civic, headlights, selected the below options

OR

Can you please check once and let me know which one should i go for.

Thanks
Hi! Naveen according to me you should go for the Xenons as they have got more lumens, Make sure you use them for the low beams only and also 4300K is highly recommended as i have personally used 4300K Xenons for better visibility.
Make for Xenons: Osram, Philips etc.
more can be shared by our experts in here
Thanks
FeelTheBass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 22:18   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBass View Post
Hi! Naveen according to me you should go for the Xenons as they have got more lumens, Make sure you use them for the low beams only and also 4300K is highly recommended as i have personally used 4300K Xenons for better visibility.
Make for Xenons: Osram, Philips etc.
more can be shared by our experts in here
Thanks
Thanks for reply.
1 question: any reason for using only low beam and not for high beam.

Please suggest from where I get a pair of new Xenon bulbs in mumbai/Thane..
Old 16th September 2021, 13:35   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Thanks for reply.
1 question: any reason for using only low beam and not for high beam.

Please suggest from where I get a pair of new Xenon bulbs in mumbai/Thane..
Dear Navin one should use Xenons for low beams only as they are bright and road legal.
As far as high beam is concerned, We should never use hid xenons in high beams as your car must be having dual reflector headlight, By using Xenons as high beams in a reflector headlight is not recommended nor road legal, Also it would blind the oncoming traffic as the brightness is high and not focused at all.
Actually Xenons hids are always meant for projector headlamps as the projection is focused. If we ever use hids in reflector headlamp it would not give satisfactory results as compared to projector headlamps.
One more thing reflector headlight works better on traditional halogen bulbs but yes they are not bright like xenon hids.
As I'm not from mumbai i may not be able to suggest you an appropriate place/workshop to you.
Thanks
FeelTheBass is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed