Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 17:04   #361
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Can someone help me with options for Headlight upgrades for my 2013 GT TSI. The stock ones have become really useless these days. I'm looking for some help on Upgrading to better LED ones and I'm a novice still!!. Initially thought of just restoring /cleaning the headlights but want a LED upgrade.
Thanks
thiagust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:36   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Can someone help me with options for Headlight upgrades for my 2013 GT TSI. The stock ones have become really useless these days. I'm looking for some help on Upgrading to better LED ones and I'm a novice still!!. Initially thought of just restoring /cleaning the headlights but want a LED upgrade.
Thanks
Hi! thiagust I would like you to avoid leds as they are not so bright and even if you find a brighter version the focus shall not be achieved.
You should rather go for the HIDs (4300K) for better lumens and visibility on the road, You may opt for brands like Osram, Philips etc.
4300K is the temperature in Kelvin which is going to give you a light effect of just like bmws & audis projector headlights.
Thanks
FeelTheBass is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:40   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBass View Post
Hi! thiagust I would like you to avoid leds as they are not so bright and even if you find a brighter version the focus shall not be achieved.
You should rather go for the HIDs (4300K) for better lumens and visibility on the road, You may opt for brands like Osram, Philips etc.
4300K is the temperature in Kelvin which is going to give you a light effect of just like bmws & audis projector headlights.
Thanks
Thanks a lot. Will HIDs require the whole assembly to be replaced?. I just want to replace the existing halogen setup with a better setup as the stock one is very poor for highway driving.
Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:54   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Thanks a lot. Will HIDs require the whole assembly to be replaced?. I just want to replace the existing halogen setup with a better setup as the stock one is very poor for highway driving.
Thanks
No need to change the headlight assembly, I think you must be using H4 halogens in that headlight.
Simply install the H4 hid conversion kit and same can be installed at any reputed car accessories shop.
Well some people do suggest you to go for a higher wattage halogens like Philips Rally etc. along with ceramic bulb holder (these holders withstand more heat as the wattage is high) along with Wiring which supports the higher wattage halogens, You can also search for wiring kit which supports the higher wattage halogens and bulb make, wattage etc. along with ceramic bulb holders at the forum itself

Thanks

Last edited by FeelTheBass : 17th September 2021 at 12:55. Reason: spelling correction
FeelTheBass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:27   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
My 2015 Skoda Rapid came with a singe projector which functions both for the low and hi beam. The projectors came with halogen lamps. I upgraded the bulbs to OSRAM nightbreakers, got a very minor improvement.

Could someone suggest the LED bulbs for this kind of setup ? Should I select HID instead ?

I also wanted to know if Projectors for Halogen/LED/HID are different.
Hi F150,

Were you able to upgrade to LED headlights for your Skoda Rapid? Im also having 2015 Skoda Rapid with Single projector headlights. The brightness is not great and I want to upgrade to White LED. Any guidance is appreciated.

Cheers
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 19:16   #366
Senior - BHPian

For my Toyota Yaris upper lights, I have ordered an H11 LED pair from banggood. However, the tabs are not aligned as the stock one.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-f8bbe33b6e594a43a98577d4fc7e7bc0.jpeg

Is there any way to remedy this? The bulb/ slot tab appears to be snugly fit, and not easily rotatable. The bulb holder seems to be held up by three screws. Do I need to rotate the holder itself?

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-ccc378fa0a874f5ea2829e8ec53769f0.jpeg

Here's an angular view of the bulbs. There doesn't appear to be any tiny screw below the LED tabs to loosen them and allow me to rotate them.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-7baada52bc6949d4a4f06b1a251ac16d.jpeg

Last edited by ani_meher : 18th September 2021 at 19:23.
Old 18th September 2021, 21:13   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
For my Toyota Yaris upper lights, I have ordered an H11 LED pair from banggood. However, the tabs are not aligned as the stock one.

Attachment 2208810
I assume that the halogen bulb you have shown is the one from your car. If it is, then that bulb has a HB3 base. H11 and HB3 are different and are not interchangeable. What is the bulb base that is mentioned in the manual?
Old 18th September 2021, 22:43   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ani_meher - that LED bulb looks bad, it is going to ruin your night drives. Please swap with an 80W halogen and see if that helps.
Old 8th October 2021, 17:15   #369
Senior - BHPian

Sharing a few minutes of my experience with NightEye H4 LED light. A good BHPian from this forum recommended to buy NightEye after his satisfactory experience & I simply went ahead & ordered it from Amazon even before he could recommend from where to buy.

So on 2-Oct, ordered it from Amazon & the wait started...
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-b1.jpg

This afternoon, an hour ago, we got the most eagerly awaited package. First thing was to check if it was original or fake & to our greatest expectation...it was FAKE!!

There're many YT videos showcasing different modes which is original & fake; all those videos show both original & fake, but we don't have an original one to compare with the package that we have with us, however, it helped us see the package through different set of eyes; an eyes of curiosity, suspicion, less excitement, more rationale & finally concluded it was pure FAKE!!

And here're the hints

First the box, very nice smooth, brown colored, not red, as noted by many YT videos
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152019.jpg
Did you notice the H4 & LED missing where it mentions "Fit"? Ofcourse we can discard the barcode being printed upside down for now, what's big deal?

Let's open the box, can't wait to see the bulbs & see how the bulbs are good, nearly packed, just like how it's mentioned on nighteyeled website.
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152041.jpg
Not until you notice the uneven gaps between the styrofoam & the carton? We too didn't notice this first

What a lovely bulb?
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152056.jpg
Not right! Notice the size of LED strip? This one is thin & long, while the original one is slightly thicker & may be a mm shorter? May be?

These days nighteye has 5 opens at the end compared to the initial days of 3, so this could be genuine?
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152228.jpg

Once the bulbs are taken out, the styrofoam board looks very ugly, throws a strong hint on lack of being genuine
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152130.jpg

Ofcourse, this is quite obvious from the videos, the white markings around & the steel instead of copper/bronze colored pins
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152111.jpg

If these 2 of them cannot clear the apprehension on being fake...nothing else can!!
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152152.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152207.jpg

Did you notice the 1 year warranty instead of 3? The WhatsApp ("customer care") support number?
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152430.jpg

Neither did I for the first time; now let's take another look...
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_152421.jpg
Yes, it's indeed 3 year warranty, but alas there's no support for 3 years!!

And whose number is it?
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-.jpg
Yes Truecaller helps!!

Quote:
Perhaps that suspicion of fraud enhances the flavor - C. S. Forester
And boy, what did we observe?
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_153221.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_153316.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_153414.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20211008_153514.jpg

And let's end where it all started & what I failed to observe
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-b2.jpg
aargee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 01:37   #370
BHPian

Hello,
I own a 2014 Innova and have installed original Nighteye H4 bulbs from Amazon itself. The output of the 6500K bulbs is far better than the halogens but the highbeam is practically inexistent and visibility in rain/fog is quite low.Please advice me which 4300K LED bulbs should I opt for?
P.S- Anyone who is going for Nighteye bulbs, 5 openings on the rear is a dead giveaway that it is fake.

Last edited by Revvliner22 : 9th October 2021 at 01:38.
Old 9th October 2021, 08:53   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvliner22 View Post
but the highbeam is practically inexistent and visibility in rain/fog is quite low
Two things...
1. Nighteye high beam & low beam seldom makes a difference
2. All LEDs are going to have this problem during rain, including Merc, it's refracting property of white light on water spilled black tarmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvliner22 View Post
5 openings on the rear is a dead giveaway that it is fake.
Not really; please check this H4 from their website; whether the fakes ones in the market made Night eye do so or they themselves did, but these days, Nighteye has 5 vents
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 00:51   #372
BHPian

Hi everyone! Don't know if this point is discussed on the thread but does anyone have experience with putting an LED bulb on a bike with Ac current supply from the magneto as default? The ones which brighten up with engine revs?

I know these type of setups are a dying breed but just got myself a type-1 Honda Hornet and it has 35W/35W halogen with Ac current from magneto coil.

Does there exist a 'kit' for retrofitting LEDs? I'm not sure an LED will take the Ac current very kindly and will conk of, I guess. Activas seem to have such a setup in place.

Any leads anyone?
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 01:22   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Hi everyone! Don't know if this point is discussed on the thread but does anyone have experience with putting an LED bulb on a bike with Ac current supply from the magneto as default? The ones which brighten up with engine revs?

I know these type of setups are a dying breed but just got myself a type-1 Honda Hornet and it has 35W/35W halogen with Ac current from magneto coil.

Does there exist a 'kit' for retrofitting LEDs? I'm not sure an LED will take the Ac current very kindly and will conk of, I guess. Activas seem to have such a setup in place.

Any leads anyone?
LED will die. It needs DC current only. You can convert to DC electricals by rewinding coil and changing the rectifier regulator. Not worth the time, effort and cost.
Old 10th October 2021, 02:26   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

Any leads anyone?
Hi I have done this on my Activa 110 and it's running fine since 3 years now without issues. I have done the "jugaad" fix and it has been completely reliable. Basically on the back of the switch connector I have cut the +ve wire and connected it to the ignition directly by slipping it into the ignition plug and closing it.
LED used was a cheapo one from Amazon as I was unsure about it's longetivity and with the connection as well but so far both have wifi flawlessly !! No unusual battery drainage or shorts.
This conversion as a bonus converts the stop light and instrument cluster to DC as well. I want to replace the tail light to led as well but I haven't been able to source the bulb.
I later tried to use the 45/40W bulb as well but surprisingly found it worse than the cheapo LED and only a bit better than the stock bulb so I went back to the LED.
You can opt for the Osram HS1 LED after doing the conversion.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:25   #375
BHPian

I just upgraded my halogen h8 35W fog lamps on Skoda Rapid TSI to Osram 46211CW Premium HL Leds 25W. The light spread is only slightly better than the h8 halogens.

I am wondering if I paid 2.5 K for just this much increase. I tried multiple adjustments of the bulb but the throw does not improve. I have seen people installing this in their cars and getting great results.

Most Viewed