Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2018, 23:08   #91
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Vivek, I don't think they are upside down. If you see the beam pattern in the pic it has a clear cut off and the light is below the cut off in low beam.

IF it was upside down it won't be the case.

I think the problem is that shield / cup that is blocking the LED.

If there's a way to get rid of that it will be fine. With LED you don't really need the shield/cup.
I had already put up the post after reading post no 83 (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades). In that post the images shown for high and low beams are the opposite of what's supposed to be there. Hence the confusion.

But afterwards, I decided to leave the post as it is, because it is a common mistake to make and I wanted to illustrate it.

I agree, the shield in the front is blocking a bit of the light, but it shouldn't really affect the pattern this badly.

Here's a Russian youtube channel called TEST LAB that does excellent work of evaluating the different types of LED bulbs available, the effect of projector vs reflector lamps, effect of LEDs in multireflector vs prismatic headlamps etc, and even an excellent critique of H4 headlamps and why they're awful compared to dual beam setups.

NOTE: The videos are in Russian, but they have English Captions. Turn on Captions to see them.

Last edited by vivekgk : 29th September 2018 at 23:09.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 01:05   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post

At the current state the beams perform farely ok in low and better in high
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Vivek, I don't think they are upside down. If you see the beam pattern in the pic it has a clear cut off and the light is below the cut off in low beam.

IF it was upside down it won't be the case.

I think the problem is that shield / cup that is blocking the LED.

If there's a way to get rid of that it will be fine. With LED you don't really need the shield/cup.
Yes the beam pattern looks much better now. Low beam has a cut off though not perfect and the high beam should have good spread. As Vid suggested getting rid of the shields would help but wont be easy. I left them as is in the FIgo.
Old 1st October 2018, 01:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

Folks, after thinking about it for sometime I gave into the temptation of changing the hi beam with LEDs as well. I had an extra pair of H7 witht CSP LEds which I re-used. The result is very impressive and I am sure quite blinding for oncoming traffic cause people go to lo beams lot more easier now than before. Took some pics at the back of my office. Its not too dark so the result dont seem as remarkable as they are on a dark road.

Ambient light conditions
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20180924_192310_2.jpg

Fog Lamps only
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20180924_192313_2.jpg

Low beam projectors only. Notice the light gap near the car
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20180924_192317_2.jpg

Low beam + fogs. Very good uniform spread
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20180924_192318_2.jpg

Fogs + Lo + Hi, notice how the further parts are well lit now
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20180924_192320_2.jpg

Hi beam only. XUV has very focused reflectors. LEDs tend to spread more than halogens but CSP LEDs perform well
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20180924_192324_2.jpg

Unfortunately this setup has just lasted 2 weeks, cause last week 1 set of LEDs on both my low beam projectors have given away. Need to claim warranty with Amazon seller or order another round Aliexpress or remove LED set from hi. Havn't made up my mind yet.

Last edited by supertinu : 1st October 2018 at 01:33.
supertinu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 23:32   #94
BHPian

LED upgrade for Plush New XUV500

I own the Plush New XUV 500 W11 model since Jun 18 this year. And some of the issues which keeps on bugging me was the poor quality of stock headlights. On one of the rainy nights on a single lane highway I realized how bad the headlight was.

Though, Mahindra has changed the design of the headlight assembly the projector and reflector pretty much the same producing the poor-quality light on the road.

What I did ?

Within first month after my purchase and mainly due to frequent night drives under heavy downpour pushed me to change the headlights immediately. The option I had was to change the better quality and powerful bulbs as I did not want to shift to HID/LED immediately and the MASS guys told me that I should at least try and see the result with the stock headlights performance.

I looked at two options : Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram Night Breakers. Opted for the Philips as found some good review about the bulb. The performance was slightly better compared to stock Osram halogen bulbs.

Search for the better lights:

During this time, I was looking for better options for further improvement and came across these two threads.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-here-754.html (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-upgrades.html (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades)

With the help of these two threads and some valuable inputs provided by BHPian supertinu finally decided to upgrade to LED.
The requirement was;

• Pure white light with more visibility probably more lumens value
• Preferable CSP chips one as I have heard the spread issues with blob and COB type. This was also to mimic the existing headlamp filament.
• Snug fit within the existing space in projector headlamp without obstructing the dust cap.

After thorough research and recommendation finalized on this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HLXG...30854c4dnfWz7T

Mainly because it is almost similar in design with Philips Ultinon H7 LED which I have seen fitting properly on XUV500 and partly due to the CSP chip they use which I found reliable.
The order was placed and the delivery was received in flat 20 days. I have been waiting for the delivery eagerly and it landed on the date when my car was to go for its 10k services. Ask the MASS guys to help with the installation which they obliged happily. Fitting in a tight space under XUV bonnet was some task but MASS guys managed to do it in 30 mins max.

Updated Setup:

Fog : Stock
Low Beam : HLXG With Lumileds Luxeon ZES Chip H7 Led 12000LM Mini Car Headlight Bulbs 6000K 12V 24V
Hi Beam : Philips XtremeVision 130+ 55W

Package as received from Aliexpress
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-package.jpg

Installation manual at the back. Looks fairly easy but its not at least for XUV.
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-installation-guide.jpg

Unboxing the package
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-unboxing.jpg

How the actual bulb looks
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-bulb-front-view.jpg

Bulb with removable adapter
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-bulbs-adapter.jpg

After removing adapter
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-bulb-adapter-removed.jpg

Rear cooling fan with the bulb but can be removed if required.
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-rear-fan.jpg

Post Installation

Clear Cut off from low beam projector.
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-cutoff-wall-big.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-clear-cut-off-2.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-clear-cut-off-3.jpg

Open Road Test for throw.
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-darkness-1.jpg

Low beam with LED in action.
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-low-beam-1.jpg

Scene 2- Darkness. Sorry for the bad image quality.
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-darkness-2.jpg

Low Beam
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-low-beam-2.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-low-beam-3.jpg

Fog+Low+High
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-all-lights-firing.jpg

From the front of the car.
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-car-front-1.jpg

The results at least in the photos looks good. Experts/Guru's can comment here but somehow i feel the light output looks more in photo than to the naked eye. . The HLXG says 12000 lumens but I think its not even close to it.

The lights looks good for the dark road but i still need to test it on the longer rive for the effect under various light conditions. Looks wise there is a definite improvement. Should this turns out well my next upgrade would be for fog lamps.

Cheers !!!
amit_3306 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 01:36   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post

The results at least in the photos looks good. Experts/Guru's can comment here but somehow i feel the light output looks more in photo than to the naked eye. . The HLXG says 12000 lumens but I think its not even close to it.

The lights looks good for the dark road but i still need to test it on the longer rive for the effect under various light conditions. Looks wise there is a definite improvement. Should this turns out well my next upgrade would be for fog lamps.

Cheers !!!
Result will always look better in pictures because camera will adjust the exposure based on light. Your observation is in line with what i have. I would strongly recommend you update the fogs as well. That helps a lot in giving consistent spread.

You may find my next update interesting, I got almost the same set that you ordered.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 02:01   #96
Senior - BHPian

Been a while since i updated this thread after updating all 3 pairs with LEDs. First the reliability of LEDs that i was using from Amazon US (link below) didnt turn out well. 1st pair started giving issues after 6months of usage and 2nd one within 3 months. Good thing they had 2 yr warranty, return on amazon was rather easy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second observation I had was that despite good focus of LEDs in high beam still the throw is not as far reaching as halogens on highway. So I have removed and swapped the halogens back on the high beam and sticking to LEDs on low beam and fogs.

Decided to try aliexpress this time and ordered the following set from Infitary.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Infi...2-5176f73b4cf8

PRicing is very competitive and quality is decent. Received within 10 days and swapped it. Hotspot of the light is decent. COlor is more 5500K and tad yellow compared to the 6500K fogs.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20181030_200435_2.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20181030_200443_2.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20181101_002705_2.jpg
Old 25th November 2018, 10:38   #97
Senior - BHPian

My 2015 Skoda Rapid came with a singe projector which functions both for the low and hi beam. The projectors came with halogen lamps. I upgraded the bulbs to OSRAM nightbreakers, got a very minor improvement.

Could someone suggest the LED bulbs for this kind of setup ? Should I select HID instead ?

I also wanted to know if Projectors for Halogen/LED/HID are different.
Old 26th November 2018, 16:04   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Been a while since i updated this thread after updating all 3 pairs with LEDs. First the reliability of LEDs that i was using from Amazon US (link below) didnt turn out well. 1st pair started giving issues after 6months of usage and 2nd one within 3 months. Good thing they had 2 yr warranty, return on amazon was rather easy
Hi Supertinu,

It indeed looks similar. However, the hotspot in the low beam looks better compared to mine.

Please post some pics of the actual light throw on the road. I would like to know if these are better ones. I can order them from my high beam set up.
Old 26th November 2018, 23:00   #99
BHPian

Bi-Led Projectors on my Fluidic Verna.

This is the low beam. You can see the cutoff on the TT standing in front. Fantastic throw and excellent width of the beam. This puts every LED/HID bulb I’ve used to shame. This is about 5500K temperature.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-a2a30d93693341b2b2b680aaea6a7947.jpeg

Last edited by drhoneycake : 26th November 2018 at 23:26. Reason: Attached picture
drhoneycake is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 23:19   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Which brand and where did you source it from? Looks nice IMO.
Old 26th November 2018, 23:23   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which brand and where did you source it from? Looks nice IMO.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4497815 (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

Here you go sir
Old 30th November 2018, 05:51   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
My 2015 Skoda Rapid came with a singe projector which functions both for the low and hi beam. The projectors came with halogen lamps. I upgraded the bulbs to OSRAM nightbreakers, got a very minor improvement.

Could someone suggest the LED bulbs for this kind of setup ? Should I select HID instead ?

I also wanted to know if Projectors for Halogen/LED/HID are different.
What's the size of the OEM bulb? Check in user manual. you can try LEDs first as its doesnt require any wire cutting etc. HIDs would be brighter compared to LEDs but requires more mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
Hi Supertinu,

It indeed looks similar. However, the hotspot in the low beam looks better compared to mine.

Please post some pics of the actual light throw on the road. I would like to know if these are better ones. I can order them from my high beam set up.
Currently in US, will share once I am back. THrow is decent spread, i would prefer a brighter cut off but its tough to get unless its OEM design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post

This is the low beam. You can see the cutoff on the TT standing in front. Fantastic throw and excellent width of the beam. This puts every LED/HID bulb I’ve used to shame. This is about 5500K temperature.

Attachment 1822522
very good results, any warranty on this?
Old 1st December 2018, 03:33   #103
BHPian

Opted for Philips LED's, the Ultinon which are compatible with reflectors too for low and high beam on the Polo. The fogs were Daps which have 1 year onsite replacement.

To be honest, I am amazed at the throw and output. Worthy investment.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-all-beam.jpg

Low + High + Fog

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-fod-only.jpg

Fog Only

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-high-only.jpg

High Beam only.
devilwearsprada is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
What's the size of the OEM bulb? Check in user manual. you can try LEDs first as its doesnt require any wire cutting etc. HIDs would be brighter compared to LEDs but requires more mods.
?
Hi,
The size is H7. I checked with local accessories shop , he quoted 7.5K for Philips LED. 6.5K for some RD brand. Both come with 2 yrs warranty.
OSRAM HID for 8.5K.

Please advise reliable bulbs which won't create any CANBUS errors.

Regards,
F150.
Old 2nd December 2018, 16:05   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Hi,
The size is H7. I checked with local accessories shop , he quoted 7.5K for Philips LED. 6.5K for some RD brand. Both come with 2 yrs warranty.
OSRAM HID for 8.5K.

Please advise reliable bulbs which won't create any CANBUS errors.

Regards,
F150.
Rather than going for Philips which are very expensive, why dont you try Amazon US or aliexpress. this thread has many tried recommendations for you to give a shot and experiment. I dont think you will get canbus errors on verna for the head lights. I have a friend who recently replaced it on the latest verna projectors with LED.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks