Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2023, 08:42   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

The lumen output of 4200k leds is generally around 10% less than the 6000k led versions. Also as our eyes are more receptive to wavelengths of blue light, leds with a cooler light cct are perceived to have higher light output to our eyes.
But 4200k cct has several advantages for headlight usage:
1) colours perceived are more natural and easier on the eyes
2) the beam dispersion is much less in foggy and rainy conditions
3) the glare to oncoming drivers is less compared to 6000k

I personally prefer 4200k light and have HID 4200k in my Jeep Compass in the headlights and switchable 2700k/4200k/6000k iPH m617 led foglights on my Compass.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:30   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I bought a set of 4200K OSRAM 50W HB3 and H11 headlight replacement lights recently.

I replaced all cool white interior LEDs with very bright 3000K LEDs.

Q: So why not simply use halogens then?
A: I like LEDs.

Have done the same at home years ago when I replaced all cool white lighting with warm and natural white lights as they are more easy on the eyes. Till now the problem with 4200K headlights was they were really weak, Osram 50W solves that to a great extent.
--

If anyone wants bright between Osram 50W 4200k and 6000K it will be better to go for 6000K.
If anyone wants halogen colour but brighter headlight, then Osram 50W 4200K is a good option. But won't be as bright as 6000K!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I personally prefer 4200k light and have HID 4200k in my Jeep Compass in the headlights and switchable 2700k/4200k/6000k iPH m617 led foglights on my Compass.
Thank you so much Sankar for sharing these details. Looks exciting.
One question to you and Behemoth: I have Honda Jazz VX model with reflector setup and had replaced the stock halogen H4 headlamps with Osram H4 LED 25W 6000K headlamps: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I am not too unhappy with Osram LED H4 25W 6000K headlamps, but am not too happy either. Especially miss the 'yellowness' with oncoming traffic.

Question: If I upgrade these further to Osram 50W 4200k, how significant would the delta output be? Would it be worth it? Also, being 50W per bulb, I believe I would need relay as well?
Sankar, could you please share the cost and the purchase link? Thanks in advance.
Old 15th March 2023, 11:52   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post

Question: If I upgrade these further to Osram 50W 4200k, how significant would the delta output be? Would it be worth it? Also, being 50W per bulb, I believe I would need relay as well?
Sankar, could you please share the cost and the purchase link? Thanks in advance.
The difference in light will be around 1.8x vs your current Osram 25w. The light is 4200k neutral white and will be warmer.

You can get them online here:
https://www.planetcarcare.com/produc...00k-6000k-pair

Or any physical Osram automotive store.

You will not need any relay or additional wiring as it is still well within the current draw of 55w/60w which halogen bulbs draw.

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th March 2023 at 11:53.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:18   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
While I am not too unhappy with Osram LED H4 25W 6000K headlamps, but am not too happy either. Especially miss the 'yellowness' with oncoming traffic.

Expect the perceived light output of the 50W 4200K to be similar to the 25W 6000K you are currently using but in warmer hue. I doubt if you would find it any brighter than your current 25W 6000K, but if you like the 4000K-4500K colour its worth it.

You don't need an additional relay harness as the H4 halogen bulb which come stock in your Jazz is rated at 55W/60W for lowbeam/highbeam, so no need to worry about the 50W draw of Osram. I bought from planetcarcare, the same seller mentioned in the above post.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 21:31   #575
BHPian

Re: Need advice: Fog lamps for Honda Jazz VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
Could you share a picture of your installation? Where and how did you attach the External Driver (I am referring to the black box attached to the fan and bulb assembly. I might have the wrong name .)

@Others please also chime in with your installation too. Thanks
This short video should explain the exact steps. My mechanic did similarly:

Is that what you were looking for?

Also, just remember that it is possible to install it upside down if we are not attentive, so ensure you get the directions right. My mechanic installed upside down and the result was so terrible that I was about to return the product, but Behemoth saved me by suspecting that
jaysheth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 09:25   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The difference in light will be around 1.8x vs your current Osram 25w. The light is 4200k neutral white and will be warmer.

You can get them online here:
https://www.planetcarcare.com/produc...00k-6000k-pair

Or any physical Osram automotive store.
Looking for a H19 4200k bulb with about 50 W per bulb. somehow not able to find one. Any leads?
Old 16th March 2023, 09:52   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Osram 4200k 50w Hb3 & H11 Led

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I replaced all cool white interior LEDs with very bright 3000K LEDs. Next I'll replace the T10 front position lamp and T16 reverse lamp with bright 4000K LEDs and weak 3000K LED for number plate. I'm done with the 6000K and higher kelvin LEDs.
Can you share where do you procure the lower temp interior LED's? Especially the T10 and Festoon types. Almost all of them I have come across are cool white
Old 16th March 2023, 11:29   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Looking for a H19 4200k bulb with about 50 W per bulb. somehow not able to find one. Any leads?

H19 is a very rare bulb and is basically an uprated H4 bulb with smaller filament, smaller cut off shield and tighter beam control. The H19 bulb was proposed by Lighting companies but very few automotive companies adopted it and most went straight for Xenon and then to LED bulbs.
The base of the H19 bulb is same as the H4 bulbs so technically an H4 Led bulb should fit. But whether you will get the right beam distribution and spread is something that can only be checked by fitting the bulb in the headlamp assembly.
What I suggest is that maybe you can order Osram 25w bulbs from Amazon (which are returnable) and try fitting in your car. If these work well, you can return them and then order 50w Osram 4200k ones from Planet car care. These 50w bulbs are not available on Amazon yet.
If the Osram 25w ones don't work well, you will know that the 50w ones too won't work

Here is a video which explains the difference between the two. You may need do some minor cutting with a Dremel tool.

Last edited by Behemoth : 16th March 2023 at 11:42.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 13:30   #579
Senior - BHPian

H19 LED is available in Blaupunkt, Autobahn and few other makes and they do work quite well in reflector set up. But all are 6000k. While I was looking at something around 4200k.

Had asked around in this same forum couple of pages ago but so far no joy.
Old 20th March 2023, 19:32   #580
BHPian

While installing LED inside a projector housing (HB3/9005), how should the LED beads seat? Should it be on left and right side or should it be on up and down inside the projector? Asking for Kia Seltos
Old 20th March 2023, 19:48   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad47 View Post
While installing LED inside a projector housing (HB3/9005), how should the LED beads seat? Should it be on left and right side or should it be on up and down inside the projector? Asking for Kia Seltos
While installing in my Scorpio with projectors, I have installed left and right and it has a near perfect cutoff.
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:00   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad47 View Post
Which brand LEDs have you narrowed down to as I am also looking for LED headlight upgrades for my Seltos. Also kindly update with procedures/pics post installation if possible.
TIA
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:45   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me share a quick hand drawn image of the ideal Led orientation for both projector and reflector based systems.
The Projector based system (with shutter) like HB3 has a reflector as well as a collimator lens. In this system, the light going up from the bulbs forms the high beam and the light going going down (below horizontal plane) is the low beam. In this case the ideal orientation of the led blade is horizontal (led beads facing up and down). This will give the best beam distribution for HB3 and without any dark spots in either low beam or high beam.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20230322_093735.jpg

In case of reflector based systems (like H4 bulbs) the situation is different and the light going up from the bulb actually makes the low beam and the light going down from the bulb makes the High beam. So for Led H4 bulbs, You must have the led blade Vertical and the cutoff shield at bottom. Only in this case will you get the correct cutoff and beam distribution.

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd March 2023 at 09:47.
Behemoth is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:38   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator_ravi View Post
Which brand LEDs have you narrowed down to as I am also looking for LED headlight upgrades for my Seltos. Also kindly update with procedures/pics post installation if possible.
TIA
I am experimenting and ordered a 36W pair and a 50W pair from Alibaba. The 36W ones were horrible. 50W ones are good.
If you want to procure locally, I would suggest DHC F55 or Osram 50W. And if you are in rain prone area, then 4300k colour temperature
nomad47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:25   #585
BHPian

Looking at these LEDs from Osram and other manufacturers, I can't help but think about their cooling mechanism and how it'll affect the life of the reflector or halogen projector. I'm sure they produce a lot more heat and a fan is added to maintain the temperature, but how effective it does that job is a question. For e.g. Nexon and other Tata cars have a closed headlight housing to prevent dust and moisture penetration. With the limited amount of cold air available to the LED, how long before it overheats and starts affecting the life of a projector/reflector? I've not seen anyone debating on this so any info on it will be helpful.
k.sumit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks