Team-BHP - Should I convert my Indica Petrol to CNG/LPG ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Should I convert my Indica Petrol to CNG/LPG ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/20133-should-i-convert-my-indica-petrol-cng-lpg-2.html)

You're right, shuvc. Yours is an Indica 2000 model which was tuned more for performance than for efficiency. Try asking the TASC to tune it for FE and see what happens. You might experience the jerks at low rpms that the pre Xeta V2 petrols are capable of.

I remember asking my TASC to tune my V2 LSi during the first service to get rid of the jerks and the service advisor said FE would drop to 9 - 9.5 in the city with 100% A/C. The FE did drop but the jerks had vanished.

For a 1000 km monthly run, the savings work out to Rs. 555 a month - assuming an increase in FE from 9 to 10 kpl and petrol being Rs. 50 a litre. Or another 111 km for the same money you spend with an FE of 9.

I'd give the tuning by the TASC a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 347928)
Is this a proven fact that CNG/LPG would give a lower mileage than petrol ?

Yes, we have a carb Esteem running on LPG. We have observed that average is around 1 KM less with LPG but it's very much acceptable b'case LPG cost much less in comparison to petrol. Another thing is that although theory tells that performance should suffer with LPG but practically it's difficult to make out the fuel car is running; you have to look at switch to find that out.

Whether engine suffers due to LPG? There is no reason to believe it. In fact, now Maruti is selling WagonR due and many premium cars like Optra offers CNG conversion at dealers end which honours warranty, this woes is indeed unfounded.

One thing though let me mention (applicable to only CARB cars): In winter morning, your car may not start at first crank with LPG. What is suggsted is, while switching off car at night, switch it to Petrol and switch it off or cut off fuel (i.e. LPG) by selecting middle in fuel switch and let you car stop due to no fuel supply. In morning, switch to petrol and start the car. After some ideling or getting on the main road, switch to LPG. This also keeps both Petrol and LPG components in good running condition. Yes, one has to take this pain to save 40% on running cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nispatel (Post 348052)
Yes, we have a carb Esteem running on LPG. We have observed that average is around 1 KM less with LPG but it's very much acceptable b'case LPG cost much less in comparison to petrol. Another thing is that although theory tells that performance should suffer with LPG but practically it's difficult to make out the fuel car is running; you have to look at switch to find that out.

Whether engine suffers due to LPG? There is no reason to believe it. In fact, now Maruti is selling WagonR due and many premium cars like Optra offers CNG conversion at dealers end which honours warranty, this woes is indeed unfounded.

Dear nispatel,

Rightly said that its difficult to say that whether car is running on lpg or on petrol if setting is accurate........infact with lpg car runs much smoother then petrol......also rightly pointed to start lpg driven car daily in petrol......we can either shift to petrol mode before engine shtoff at night or at morning.....its advisable to run car initially for at least kilometer in petrol then to shift to lpg....also whatever performance and FE modification we are doing passes benefits to lpg driven car there by reducing runningn cost further down.....

Enjoy....

CNG gives higher or equivalent FE, LPG gives 1-2 Km less than of Petrol.

My XETA gives 11.9 on Petrol and 15.5-16 Km/Kg