Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Old 19th November 2018, 16:59   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Review: YI Dash Camera

Few Yi Dash cam videos from my car.

Review: YI Dash Camera-enlight110-copy.jpg

For its price, it works great. Extremely hot temperatures don't cause much interference, other than the LCD going blank due to the temps. I always turn it on only after few mins of AC at full blast (in case of a very hot & sunny day)

Last edited by SDP : 20th November 2018 at 07:48. Reason: typos
haldar_siliguri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 22:40   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Excellent. I will wait for you to get it and see how it works. The description on the website is not very good. Eg: The preview window shown on the IRVM in the listing does not mention if that is the front camera's view or the rear camera's view. Also, where would the preview for the reversing camera play out? I would imagine it to be in the same viewing window on the IRVM. But, I need confirmation. There is also no mention on the site about reversing help with guidelines and such.

So, yes, please do get your installation done and post a short note on how each of those tasks are accomplished.

1.) Viewing the front camera's view while it is recording.
2.) Viewing the rear camera's view while it is recording.
3.) Viewing the rear camera's view while reversing.
4.) Are there separate SD cards for front and rear view cameras?

Thank you

So finally I have got the dash camera. It took a month to be delivered after it reached Bangalore. Thanks to the slow customs. I had to pay 3K custom duty, taking the final cost to 9K.

To answer your questions, as soon as you turn the key in your car, both cameras start recording. There is a 4.3" LCD in the centre of the mirror which is where you view the cameras' output. You can either view just the front camera, back camera or a PIP for both. The LCD switches off automatically after set intervals of time, if you so desire. You can keep it on throughout as well. However, eligibility in bright sunlight is almost zero, but that seems to be by design. Since you shouldn't be viewing videos while driving.

When the car is slotted in reverse, the rear camera output is shown on the screen automatically.

Guidelines are there, but they are static straight lines. There is no turn detection and bending of guidelines.

Just one SD card for both front and rear camera output. Video filenames are suffixed with_FRONT and _BACK for identification.

The front camera can shoot a max of 1080 at 30fps. Back camera is limited to 720p at 30 fps. Decent video and audio. Samples coming soon.

A great dash cam, but not that great a reverse parking assist. Also, the WiFi transfer is slooooow. It takes 70 seconds to download a 130MB video.
sagaranjos is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 22:48   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagaranjos View Post
So finally I have got the dash camera. It took a month to be delivered after it reached Bangalore. Thanks to the slow customs. I had to pay 3K custom duty, taking the final cost to 9K.

To answer your questions....A great dash cam, but not that great a reverse parking assist. Also, the WiFi transfer is slooooow. It takes 70 seconds to download a 130MB video.
Thank you sagaranjos for such a detailed response. Fantastic. And I am sorry that I got delayed in seeing this and in thanking you. I got bogged down by a lot of stuff I guess.

Three questions.
  1. Are you saying that it is not good for reverse parking assist purely because the guidelines do not bend? Are do you have other reasons?
  2. The reverse parking camera; does it have a distance countdown (in feet or meters) along with suitable audio prompts - slow beeps going to faster beeps as the distance decreases?
  3. Finally, did you install yourself? Or did you get a pro to do it?
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Thank you sagaranjos for such a detailed response. Fantastic. And I am sorry that I got delayed in seeing this and in thanking you. I got bogged down by a lot of stuff I guess.

Three questions.
  1. Are you saying that it is not good for reverse parking assist purely because the guidelines do not bend? Are do you have other reasons?
  2. The reverse parking camera; does it have a distance countdown (in feet or meters) along with suitable audio prompts - slow beeps going to faster beeps as the distance decreases?
  3. Finally, did you install yourself? Or did you get a pro to do it?

I say so because
1) I would like the reverse view to come on my centre console (which is bigger and better). But if I did that then there would be no recording. So I am limited to a smaller screen. Also, in bright light viewing the video on the IRVM might become slightly difficult.

I was thinking of getting another camera for the reverse parking duty, and use this one solely for recording.

2) The rear camera has a red - yellow-green marking to denote distance, but no measurements as such. No beeps either!

3) I got this installed at a car accessories shop. The installation as such is simple. It is the hiding of the wires that is the cumbersome part.

And finally, you are most welcome!
sagaranjos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 14:09   #50
BHPian

Posting from a different thread.
So the black friday sale is on and I can see some tempting prices on Aliexpress and Gearbest. I am on the lookout for an inexpensive dashcam and currently confused between the Yi Compact and the Xiaomi 70Mai. Anyon who will be able to help with deciding between the two ?

Posting the links for the same. Both the links contain free shipping !

70 MAI going for 30$
https://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_...ml?wid=1349303

Yi Compact going for 33$
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YI-C...8-ef843ded11bd
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 08:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Can someone point link for original black version of the YI smart cam. I am not talking about the compact one.
Old 10th December 2018, 01:00   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I was comparing Xiaomi, Viofo, Transcend & the Sj4000/5000. From your review it looks like YI is the way to go. Comparing all parameters, it seems to be the most value for money option.
Bought a YI Smart Dash camera from Aliexpress as suggested by SamfromIndia in this thread.

Review: YI Dash Camera-img_9712.jpg

You have covered all the parameters brilliantly and i have nothing much to say.

Tested the camera yesterday.

Just few observation's-

Video is more smooth, if kept at 60 fps.

In daylight reading the number plate of the vehicle in front is easy.

Review: YI Dash Camera-1.jpg

At night there is a trick. If my car's headlight falls directly on the number plate of the car moving ahead, the cam fails to capture the number because of the reflective nature of the plate. So if you need to capture the number of the vehicle moving in front of you in night, please use the headlight beam strategically.

In this pic my car's headlight is falling directly on the bike & the Swift's no plates, so both are not readable, whereas the number of the Dzire can be read as the light is not falling directly on the Dzire's number plate.

Review: YI Dash Camera-2.jpg

In this pic my car's headlight is not directly falling on either of the number plates, so both are readable.

Review: YI Dash Camera-untitled.jpg

Sharing a couple of video's.

Took the video's with the mike off at 60 Fps.

In day time-

In night-

The 165 degree wide coverage is more than enough to cover both the side's.

After a drive, the camera shows how many time's, i braked hard or how many times i accelerated fast. Yesterday it showed zero in all, so today i intentionally braked hard once and did some fast acceleration's. The cam showed me a more or less accurate data at the end.

The wifi connects well with the smart phone, once the YI app is installed.

Overall satisfied with the purchase. Its value for money.

Last edited by Samba : 10th December 2018 at 01:29.
Samba is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 10:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought a YI Smart Dash camera from Aliexpress as suggested by SamfromIndia in this thread.
I suggest you disable the YI watermark, I did that the moment I installed mine. Its an eyesore.

I am facing a very peculiar issue, Whenever I download the video using my phone, using wifi, its automatically cropping the first few seconds off. I had a close call with a kwid in my office parker where the guy was not paying attention to the road and he had to hard brake at the last moment to avoid collusion.

When I look at the video on the camera, it has captured that moment, however upon downloading its cropping the first few seconds and is missing in the downloaded video, its around 10-15 seconds.

Others kindly confirm.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 02:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
In this pic my car's headlight is falling directly on the bike & the Swift's no plates, so both are not readable, whereas the number of the Dzire can be read as the light is not falling directly on the Dzire's number plate.

After a drive, the camera shows how many time's, i braked hard or how many times i accelerated fast. Yesterday it showed zero in all, so today i intentionally braked hard once and did some fast acceleration's. The cam showed me a more or less accurate data at the end.
Congratulations on your purchase ! Your observations are spot on. The headlight reflection is due to the nature of the HSRP plates.

I disabled the ADAS feature which shows your driving habits, collision warning among other things as they make no sense on Indian roads and driving habits

As pramod mentioned, you can disable the YI watermark from settings. Also in future you can consider hardwiring the dashcam and ask Blackpearl to get you a high endurance 64gb card when he comes home from abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I suggest you disable the YI watermark, I did that the moment I installed mine. Its an eyesore.

I am facing a very peculiar issue, Whenever I download the video using my phone, using wifi, its automatically cropping the first few seconds off.
Whenever i try to download a video, it selects a part of the clip and not all of it. If i want to download the full clip i need to drag the sliders towards the end. I never found cropping issue in my videos. I use the iOS version of the app with latest firmware on cam and it works fine so far.
Samfromindia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

I received mine yesterday. It took close to a month to arrive. The piece looks small but sturdy. Love the wifi connectivity on the cell. It takes a second try to connect but it does connect.

Review: YI Dash Camera-inside.jpeg

I used this (Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR) to camouflage the camera a bit. It was used for my previous Transcend DP camera.
Review: YI Dash Camera-oustdie2.jpeg

Review: YI Dash Camera-outside.jpeg
Due to large size of the dotted thingy in front of the rear view mirror of my Verna, I had to place the camera at the side. The sticky mount means one does not have to worry about it falling off.

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2018 at 07:41. Reason: typo
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagaranjos View Post
A great dash cam, but not that great a reverse parking assist. Also, the WiFi transfer is slooooow. It takes 70 seconds to download a 130MB video.
Hi,

Purchased the Yi dual cam from Amazon.in. Please post a pic of the rear camera installation. The auto shop I went to has installed it outside of the bumper, in front of the number plate. Not happy with it, and plus the image in the display has reverse lines inverted.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: YI Dash Camera-img_20190123_142610__01.jpg  

TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 09:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
Purchased the Yi dual cam from Amazon.in. Please post a pic of the rear camera installation. The auto shop I went to has installed it outside of the bumper, in front of the number plate. Not happy with it, and plus the image in the display has reverse lines inverted.
This how my installation looks like!

Review: YI Dash Camera-img_20190217_221636.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 18th February 2019 at 09:08. Reason: formatted quoted post
sagaranjos is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed