Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2018, 22:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: YI Dash Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Looking at the size of it, will you recommend it as a standalone rear camera for a hatchback? Also does it have a capacitor model? I have a A119C in the front currently and can swap it to the back if required.
Unfortunately even the top of the line Ultra dashcam by YI doesn't support capacitor and come with li-ion. That being said i never had problems in any of my trips, same with all other friends i know who uses this cam. The companion app provided by YI supports connecting multiple cameras at once, which is a nifty feature to those who are using two cameras for dual channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Only thing is that silver color kind of stands out from a front on view and may be noticeable. Black ones simply merge with the surroundings (IRVM etc) and is really hard to notice if one isn't specifically looking out for the same.
That's true. This is why all new models like the flagship YI Ultra come in black.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...646618e17TLeEp

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
Last year one of my friend was badly beaten up in a road rage incident and police failed to find culprits.
Honestly i also had a similar experience of having an accident with a Scooty in an intersection years back. The girl who was driving it was injured but nothing major happened. However the crowd went berserk and wanted to damage my car and beat me up without thinking of treating the girl in first place and taking her to hospital. I managed to get out of the situation in one piece without any damage to my car. But it was surely an eye opener which let me research and plan to get a dashcam installed afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd have preferred a model with a parking mode/surveillance but that may be way more expensive and may affect my low running cars' batteries.
Why don't you check out Thinkware F770 ? It is dual channel, supports parking mode, has wifi, gps and all the fancy stuff !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Slightly offtopic:
My dashcam produces video files of size 2 mins per file. Which software do people use to merge multiple such files + how do people do fast forwards ?

So, curious to know which is the best app that does this file editing ? Please help
You only want to join two videos to make a larger video. Its a simple process and you don't need to complicate yourself using the best video editing app which may offer tons of feature for editing and post processing. In iOS the free iMovie app is sufficient to join two videos and on PC, something like Format Factory may help you achieve what you are looking for. Just make sure to uncheck all additional blaotware which may come during installation, like we do for all programs which are free.

Review: YI Dash Camera-1.jpg
http://www.pcfreetime.com/formatfact...hp?language=en

Remember joining videos doesn't take much time, however if you trans code videos while joining (convert format / compress) then it will take quite a while. If you don't have such requirement use a simple video joiner and save time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFaith View Post
There is a dedicated software for this purpose called Dashcamviewer. https://dashcamviewer.com/ As an added bonus this shows your GPS data etc in addition to just the video - so you can see your orientation, speed and location on a map while you watch the video. You would lose the GPS data if you were to stitch the files together using a video editer I might add.
This is a excellent program for dashcams with GPS sensors like A119. I didnt find any alternative for this software yet. The free version has some limitations i believe. Do you know any free open source alternative for this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_73 View Post
Great review. I do not see Rexing listed here any reason why?
Its definitely a popular choice. But none of my friends uses it. Why don't you put a review of your experience with the brand and the product ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
I am also planning to get a dash cam installed in my car. Is it possible to connect the charging cable / power cable via fuse box so that I don't have to dedicate a charging point for the dash cam? This way the dash cam will power on when the ignition is on ACC mode. I have a Baleno.

I see a lot of reflections in the captured videos. Is a polarising filter available for this dash cam?
That's true. However there is no official CPL filter like you get for A119 series. Maybe check Aliexpress for some aftermarket accessory or make one by DIY.

About the first bit, the thing you are looking for is called hardwiring a dashcam. Like blackasta mentioned make sure to read and follow the excellent article written by our very own D-Bhpain arunphilip on how to do it on your own !

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...r-dashcam.html (DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I was contemplating to buy a dash cam over the last few months, but till now i have not made the purchase.
Samba we all know how much you like to drive and travel. While budget offering like the YI is more suited to amateurs like me, i will recommend you go for a premium model which may cost 2-3 times as much but offer the ultimate experience in terms of video quality or reliability. The camera may last more than your how long you will keep your car, so it makes sense to invest in one ! You should look for the premium dashcam comparison video which i posted above or have a look into the dual channel options which are getting more and more popularity these days. Also buy one with a GPS sensor preferably as knowing the speed and coordinates can be helpful sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I more or less agree with all the pros and cons that you shared except one - I got the back one. Buying experience was same, but I was charged Rs. 6xx odd bucks per camera as customs duty (I ordered 2).

This is how the black looks:
Attachment 1803365

The centre console has a nice spot to tuck the cable in (so that it doesn't foul with the driver's feet) before sending it to the the charging point:
Attachment 1803368
Actually this is not the camera i reviewed. The one i have is the first dashcam which YI launched, the YI Smart Dashcam. After its success YI followed up its lineup with 4 new models. Yours is one of them, the YI compact dashcam. Its actually for people who are looking for a cheaper option than YI Smart Dashcam. While the Smart sells for $54.99 the Compact retails for $39.99 without any accessories like extra dual charger. So what are you missing out for $15 ?

- 2.0 aperture vs 1.8 in original.
- Ability to record in 2304x1296 30FPS & 1920x1080 60FPS.

But since its a newer product, it addressed some issues of the original one, mainly:

+ Discreet black color
+ 130 degree field of view vs the action cam like 165 on YI Smart.

Let me post all the offerings of YI in dashcam space so that users don't have confusion:

YI Ultra Dash Camera $99.99

Review: YI Dash Camera-2.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...79df17575dpEP3

YI Mirror Dash Cam $69.99

Review: YI Dash Camera-5.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...10a546b6u9UsT8

YI Smart Dash Camera $54.99

Review: YI Dash Camera-3.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...57f84c3dQDHUjn

YI Mini Dash Cam $44.99

Review: YI Dash Camera-6.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...44c014d5DY7x8U

YI Compact Dash Camera $39.99

Review: YI Dash Camera-4.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...2ea46c62W1tCez

Btw really nice cable management. Mine is almost similar but i need to route it properly in my pedal area where the wire has some play. The next logical step will be to hardwire the inputs.
Samfromindia is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Slightly offtopic:
My dashcam produces video files of size 2 mins per file. Which software do people use to merge multiple such files + how do people do fast forwards ?
I'm happy with the Inshot app on Android. Does all the things you require as mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I was about to buy a 70mai ...
Myth bought one, you can check with him.
So did I, except it's in my daughter's car. My cars have a Yi Ultra each. For the price, I'd recommend the 70mai wholeheartedly. here's a sample video:

And the 70mai Pro is coming soon - check this link:

Review: YI Dash Camera-70maipro.jpeg

My cars here have 2 Yi Ultra cameras, as I'd mentioned. Here are a couple of video quality samples:

Video editing and slow-mo effect was done in the Inshot app.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd October 2018 at 01:10.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Why don't you check out Thinkware F770 ? It is dual channel, supports parking mode, has wifi, gps and all the fancy stuff !
Thanks for sharing all the additional information SamfromIndia. Your review is is comprehensive and very helpful.

The Thinkware F770 is simply out of my budget man. I'll have to look at less expensive options for e.g the subject of this review or stretching to it's more advanced sibling the 'Ultra' model.

PS - Thread marked 5 Star

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd October 2018 at 09:44.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:08   #19
BHPian

I have the same brand and model. But initially i faced issues with the SD card, and finally Samsung Pro+ 32B Class 10 Micro SDHC Card worked fine for me. So be careful when buying the SD card for this dashcam. Another pain is the chinese menu.
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Samfromindia

Thanks for the comprehensive review of the Yi Dashcam. Having owned one, I am super happy with the performance and have recently benefitted from its presence when an auto guy brushed the car and claimed compensation from me. The cop to whom I showed the footage was too impressed with the quality of the video and the positives of the dashcam in the car in the present times.

I had bought the Yi dashcam during the 2017 November Ali express sale and had got it for < 3K Rs.

A few pain points from my side based on the one year experience.
1) Suction type mounting should have preferred instead of 3M tape type. Although the 3M tape type mount is very sturdy
2) Got the dashcam in silver which is prominently visible, black was unavailable at that time.
3) The swivel mount which connect the dashcam to the mounting body gets loose often and required retightening often now. There was no requirement 9 months ago.
4) The yi app is superb but has its own shortcomings like, there is no offline mode to check the settings. The wifi has to be activated to communicate to the dashcam. The downloading of the video is very slow. During downloading, the camera does does not record. The app allows pics to be taken while driving but the pic quality isnt the same

Inspite of all of the above pains, the dashcam is a VFM buy. Have suggested it to lot of friends and they too have benefitted from it.
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Review: YI Dash Camera-dash.jpg

Was watching the video at 1080p. The number plates aren't readable - is it the same in the original video or is it because of YouTube applying compression on the uploaded content?

The reason I am asking is because I use an old mobile phone as my dashcam and I use AutoGuard app (paid) for recording, it records in 1080 and number plates are much readable. Was thinking of investing in a budget dashcam and was looking at Yi.

Review: YI Dash Camera-dsc_0306.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd October 2018 at 13:32.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Guys who own this dashcam, have you noticed that the dashcam also records the clips in smaller files in a separate folder? This eats into the mSD card space unnecessarily. I have a 64 GB card but a significant storage space is eaten up by these chunk of smaller files which are meant for WiFi transfer to the phone for quick viewing.

Sam, nice review man. Captured every nitty gritty. As for the CPL filter, someone did share a link on the main dashcam thread. I'll share it here after I find it.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 19:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Planning to get YI compact dashcam black. Should I select the SD card option while buying it? I think it would be cheap to get micro sd card from outside.
Old 2nd October 2018, 23:21   #24
BHPian

I bought same YI dash camera last year, in fact I got 2 cameras for $108 including 64 GB card for each. I got it in cyber Monday deal which comes after Thanks Giving day sale, my friend got this for me and finally I got them fixed in my S-cross in December 2017.

Initially I was in a dilemma whether to fix a dual channel Dash cam or go for individual cameras both at front and rear. Those Dual channel cameras looks to me little expensive if I wanted to have a better resolution for both front and rear. There were few Dual channel dash cams which fits into my budget (~$120), but my only concern was what happens if the system is not functioning after some time and then loosing entire recording for both front and rear.

That's the reason I finally decided to go with YI dash cam (2 No.) which has every minimum feature we need for a dash cam including WiFi, so that if one goes down after some time, I can still manage it with other which can serve my minimum requirements.

Last edited by pkothak : 2nd October 2018 at 23:24. Reason: few spellings to be adjusted
pkothak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 00:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
I have the same brand and model. But initially i faced issues with the SD card, and finally Samsung Pro+ 32B Class 10 Micro SDHC Card worked fine for me. So be careful when buying the SD card for this dashcam. Another pain is the chinese menu.
There are two versions of YI Smart Dashcam, the original chinese & International. The chinese model has suction mount, dual 2A charger, Chinese UI & app among other things. The international model supports english and some other European languages. They made certain changes to get CE & FCC certification which include replacing the suction mount with adhesive one and replacing the dual 2A charger with a single 1A unit.

The unit i reviewed is the international version. Just in case you are stuck with the chinese version, you can flash the rom of the international one. You can refer to this video on how to do that:

I faced no issues with my 6 year old 64Gb sandisk Ultra & the newer 64gb Sandisk high endurance card, nor did any of my friends who uses the same model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
A few pain points from my side based on the one year experience.
1) Suction type mounting should have preferred instead of 3M tape type. Although the 3M tape type mount is very sturdy
2) Got the dashcam in silver which is prominently visible, black was unavailable at that time.
3) The swivel mount which connect the dashcam to the mounting body gets loose often and required retightening often now. There was no requirement 9 months ago.
4) The yi app is superb but has its own shortcomings like, there is no offline mode to check the settings. The wifi has to be activated to communicate to the dashcam. The downloading of the video is very slow. During downloading, the camera does does not record. The app allows pics to be taken while driving but the pic quality isnt the same
1: Suction mount is actually present in the chinese version like i mentioned before. But many users had problems with it which is why they changed it to an adhesive mount in international model which is more practical but less convenient. You can always buy the suction mount from aliexpress as an accessory.

2: Black is still unavailable for this model ! However YI launched 4 new models which i mentioned above which come in black.

3: It got loose for me once, then i applied good pressure when tightening it. It didn't get loose again.

4: Offline mode for settings will not be possible as settings reside on the dashcam and not on mobile. Every time you connect the app to the cam, it reads the settings and display that to you. Also settings can be changed using the physical buttons on the cam also. I agree with the other points about the transfer speeds and all. I guess they couldn't afford to give a faster wifi chip in $50 price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Was watching the video at 1080p. The number plates aren't readable - is it the same in the original video or is it because of YouTube applying compression on the uploaded content?

The reason I am asking is because I use an old mobile phone as my dashcam and I use AutoGuard app (paid) for recording, it records in 1080 and number plates are much readable. Was thinking of investing in a budget dashcam and was looking at Yi.
First let me tell you that most modern mobile phones capture great video. My iPhone captures much better video than my Nokia D5200 DSLR. The main benefit of dashcam is it's set it & forget it nature.

That being said, quality shown here is not the best what the device is capable of, mainly due to the following reasons:

- Compression by Youtube during upload.
- 3rd best video settings used to get a fair balance between memory consumed & quality.

Here are the original files of the clips which you can download and watch:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pm...QXx6Ln_dPIEZSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys who own this dashcam, have you noticed that the dashcam also records the clips in smaller files in a separate folder? This eats into the mSD card space unnecessarily. I have a 64 GB card but a significant storage space is eaten up by these chunk of smaller files which are meant for WiFi transfer to the phone for quick viewing.

Sam, nice review man. Captured every nitty gritty. As for the CPL filter, someone did share a link on the main dashcam thread. I'll share it here after I find it.
Thanks ! Well i always transfer the necessary clip by wifi so haven't gone through their file structure. I guess the smaller clip is used to stream the video on the mobile app when you preview. If you notice the preview quality is nothing great. Once you select the clip and download you see the full quality. So its a trade off between utility & convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Should I select the SD card option while buying it? I think it would be cheap to get micro sd card from outside.
Better go for your own SD card. Benefits include:

+ Your own preferred brand, capacity & speed.
+ Try to get MLC SD card which is recommended for dashcam.
+ You will get warranty replacement if it fails. I remember my 64gb Sandisk Ultra which i got in 2012 for my Samsung Galaxy S3 failed 2 times. Each time they were replaced by Sandisk. You wont get any such benefits if you buy from Aliexpress.
Samfromindia is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 13:47   #26
BHPian

Thanks Sam for the detailed review.
With duster the problem is intense due to heavy reflection if anything is kept on the left side , it kind of destroys the whole video.
I feel more than the dashcams its the position of the cam that can make or break a phenomenal video .

Earlier i had mounted the dash behind the cabin mirror and that just made things bad if i forgot to remove stuffs from dash...

Now that I have mounted it below, results are far better and i dont have to focus or ask co passenger to remove their stuff from dash.
Review: YI Dash Camera-img_20180603_160028.jpg

The videos are reflection free (except front blower vents which is part of vehicle so its still okey)

I guess the positioning of the dash is equally crutial but lesser the angle of plane of dash cam sensor to the windshield angle, lesser the reflection.

Last edited by ARAY : 3rd October 2018 at 13:54.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 20:24   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice and quick review there brother. I use a Transcend Drivepro 220. The main reason why I got inclined to that was the GPS module in built in the cam. That was a deal breaker for me and for that I had to shell out a few extra grands. Looking at the video reproduction in your review, I guess that the quality is almost the same. After all, it is just a dashcam and not a professional video cam!
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 22:47   #28
mxx
BHPian

I was planning to purchase YI dash cam. However, I did not go for it because it uses Li ion battery. Li ion is not a very safe thing to use in extreme temperature.
Any of the other YI dash cam models use capacitors?
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 09:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I was planning to purchase YI dash cam. However, I did not go for it because it uses Li ion battery. Li ion is not a very safe thing to use in extreme temperature.
Any of the other YI dash cam models use capacitors?
You are right. whatever claim the manufacturers make about high-temperature resistant Li-Ion batteries, they are not suited to 40+ degree temperatures that we face in our summers.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 19:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Samfromindia

2) Got the dash cam in silver which is prominently visible, black was unavailable at that time.
I was also bit skeptical with regard to visibility of my dash cam. I did a simple solution. I covered its front side with a black chart paper after making hole for lens and mic. Now its almost invisible. Used kids Fevicol for sticking as it can be easily removed if needed.
Earlier people used to ask me what is it, but now no one notices it any more.
drsnt is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks