Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 19:55   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You are right. whatever claim the manufacturers make about high-temperature resistant Li-Ion batteries, they are not suited to 40+ degree temperatures that we face in our summers.
Was thinking about this contraption after some of my friends fitted it. Not any more. An action cam if needed for a specific trip seems like a better bet. I did not think about this high temperature issue.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 22:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Review: YI Dash Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
I guess the positioning of the dash is equally crutial but lesser the angle of plane of dash cam sensor to the windshield angle, lesser the reflection.
This is very true. Also if you keep your windshields clean, videos will look better

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
The main reason why I got inclined to that was the GPS module in built in the cam. That was a deal breaker for me and for that I had to shell out a few extra grands.
I feel the same. Actually i got this Dashcam as a gift on my birthday. Had i bought with my own money i would have gone for A119S which has a GPS module. However for the price the product is very much VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
I covered its front side with a black chart paper after making hole for lens and mic. Now its almost invisible.
Thats a neat trick. Why dont you post some pictures of the work you have done !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I was planning to purchase YI dash cam. However, I did not go for it because it uses Li ion battery. Li ion is not a very safe thing to use in extreme temperature.
Any of the other YI dash cam models use capacitors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You are right. whatever claim the manufacturers make about high-temperature resistant Li-Ion batteries, they are not suited to 40+ degree temperatures that we face in our summers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Was thinking about this contraption after some of my friends fitted it. Not any more. An action cam if needed for a specific trip seems like a better bet. I did not think about this high temperature issue.
Like i mentioned before, no versions of YI including the flagship $99 Ultra model has capacitors. If you want capacitor why dont you go for the tried & tested Viofo A119S. Only thing you will miss out is wifi connectivity.

That being said why this panic of not using li-ion battery ? Its there on our phone, any action cam and people are using them everywhere. In dashcam battery is a really tiny unit used to store settings & kicks in once you turn off car and it needs to save next 30 secs video or so. Dashcam basically runs off your car battery all the time. On the other hand action cams have bigger batteries as they are designed to run off them. Even the most popular GoPro use lithium ion batteries i believe. If the whole li-ion exploding logic is correct, we will have them blasting off on the helmets of all the bikers who use them for moto blogging. The AC compartment of car is a much safer place. That being said its always better to use capacitor models and that's why they cost a premium. But the whole logic of using a action cam instead of dashcam makes no sense.

See how this performed at 60 degrees for 1 hour:
Start from: 7:06

Last edited by Samfromindia : 7th October 2018 at 22:33.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 07:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Like i mentioned before, no versions of YI including the flagship $99 Ultra model has capacitors.
I don't have issues with Li-ion batteries, however fitting a Li-ion battery on the windshield where it would get roasted in the sun is a bit of a concern. Action cams are meant to take a beating, so they are okay but too big for an everyday dashcam.

My concern is more of if I'm fitting in a potential fire hazard with Dashcam. So like you mentioned, the one with a capacitor would probably be a safe bet, maybe the newer generations have some kind of thermal safety built in, I hope.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2018 at 21:44. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post = inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 11:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:

See how this performed at 60 degrees for 1 hour:
The inside of a car can get to even 80C on a hot day, let alone the windshield where the dashcam is placed. The battery bulging and bursting is a known occurrence with battery dependent dashcams and is a fire risk. Why take a risk when there are safer options available?

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 8th October 2018 at 11:46.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 11:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
With duster the problem is intense due to heavy reflection if anything is kept on the left side , it kind of destroys the whole video.
I feel more than the dashcams its the position of the cam that can make or break a phenomenal video .
Consider a polarizer (circular polarizing filter (CPL)) to cut down reflections & glare.

See this post for an example of videos without and with a CPL.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 21:39   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Great review sir. Enjoyed reading it. Also, blackwasp's review was nice too.

Here is my requirement. Can someone guide me to the right product/s:

1.) I need front and rear camera set up that records in a 10 minute loop along with a live view mode (in case I need to test if the system is working).

2.) I need a rear camera that gives me a live view on my IRVM when I am reversing.

3.) I have neither the skills nor the aptitude DIY. So, I need a place where I can buy said product/s and get them installed.

Is there one device that will fulfill requirements 1 and 2 above? If not, is there a suite of products that will work well together to fulfill requirements 1 and 2? If yes, where can I get them in Mumbai along with installation?

Thank you

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2018 at 21:46. Reason: Removing unwanted quoted posts. Please quote selectively. Thanks!
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 23:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Great review sir. Enjoyed reading it. Also, blackwasp's review was nice too.

Here is my requirement. Can someone guide me to the right product/s:

1.) I need front and rear camera set up that records in a 10 minute loop along with a live view mode (in case I need to test if the system is working).

2.) I need a rear camera that gives me a live view on my IRVM when I am reversing.

3.) I have neither the skills nor the aptitude DIY. So, I need a place where I can buy said product/s and get them installed.

Is there one device that will fulfill requirements 1 and 2 above? If not, is there a suite of products that will work well together to fulfill requirements 1 and 2? If yes, where can I get them in Mumbai along with installation?

Thank you
The Yi Mirror Dash cam is just what you want.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YI-M...ceBeautifyAB=0
sagaranjos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 15:15   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagaranjos View Post
The Yi Mirror Dash cam is just what you want.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YI-M...ceBeautifyAB=0
Thank you sir. I do have one question. The description talks about dual cameras; but there is no mention of a live reversing camera. Am I right or am I missing something?
Old 12th October 2018, 15:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Thank you sir. I do have one question. The description talks about dual cameras; but there is no mention of a live reversing camera. Am I right or am I missing something?
There is a separate rear camera which connects to the reverse gear.
Both the front and rear camera record simultaneously and let you view footage simultaneously as well.
On reversing, you see the reverse view with parking lines.

Mine is on the way. Should be here soon, hopefully.
I will let you know once I actually lay my hands on it.
sagaranjos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 15:40   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagaranjos View Post
There is a separate rear camera which connects to the reverse gear.
Both the front and rear camera record simultaneously and let you view footage simultaneously as well.
On reversing, you see the reverse view with parking lines.

Mine is on the way. Should be here soon, hopefully.
I will let you know once I actually lay my hands on it.
Excellent. I will wait for you to get it and see how it works. The description on the website is not very good. Eg: The preview window shown on the IRVM in the listing does not mention if that is the front camera's view or the rear camera's view. Also, where would the preview for the reversing camera play out? I would imagine it to be in the same viewing window on the IRVM. But, I need confirmation. There is also no mention on the site about reversing help with guidelines and such.

So, yes, please do get your installation done and post a short note on how each of those tasks are accomplished.

1.) Viewing the front camera's view while it is recording.
2.) Viewing the rear camera's view while it is recording.
3.) Viewing the rear camera's view while reversing.
4.) Are there separate SD cards for front and rear view cameras?

Thank you
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 12:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Brilliantly compiled review!
The main reasons I chose with Yi Dashcam was the Ease of viewing/transferring videos to my phone, and that it looked reliable (= should last for 2-3yrs minimum).

Neither GPS Tracks nor Video resolution was as much as a priority because even my earlier low cost Dashcams purchased from AliExpress for ~800 & 1,200/-, provided similar resolution! (Registration numbers are visible in neither)

Like this DashCam : (It cost just approx 1200/- back then IIRC)

This old one started showing software glitches after ~9months, downloading video files off it became cumbersome and eventually it died 2-3 months ago. Also, it used to fall off the mount sometimes.

The Yi DashCam seems pretty sturdy. I hope the silver body will reflect the heat off the unit. My cousin too was impressed with the video file transfer process.

Edit : Btw, any clue if the suction mount for YiDashCam can be sourced anywhere locally ?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th October 2018 at 12:45.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 20:44   #42
BHPian

Got my yi dashcam delivered today. High endurance memory card yet to come , hence I couldn't check the quality of video. However with the LCD screen and Yi app pairing I could stick the base to windshield and direct the view properly.
I could easily route the wire from usb port on the top of my dashboard to camera through a pillar and roof headlining by just pushing the wire inside. Have to see if it come out by itself.
Will share the video along with routing pictures as soon as I get memory card. Camera is ready to be used as soon as memory card reaches.
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 01:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Edit : Btw, any clue if the suction mount for YiDashCam can be sourced anywhere locally ?
Are you able to source the suction mount yet ? If not you can order from Aliexpress for $2
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Car-dash-camera-holder-Suction-Cup-GPS-Bracket-Mount-car-DVR-recorder-holder-for-for/3861093_32860292503.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356 .4.66493beddrFWax

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
Got my yi dashcam delivered today. High endurance memory card yet to come , hence I couldn't check the quality of video.
Congrats on your cam ! Actually no need to wait for the high endurance card. You can start using any TLC card you have right away ! A MLC high endurance card will only prevent failure when used extensively for a longer period of time ! Just curious, which brand & size of high endurance card you ordered for what price ?
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 16:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, which brand & size of high endurance card you ordered for what price ?
I understand that the memory card I bought is not an MLC one however, I think the one I bought is better than other ones in the Indian market right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: YI Dash Camera-719l4paanhl._sl1500_.jpg  

Old 19th November 2018, 16:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
I understand that the memory card I bought is not an MLC one however, I think the one I bought is better than other ones in the Indian market right now.

You should have opted for samsung SD card , they have their own format of hardware which resistant to extreme heat in summers. My card has been working fine since two years and it has passed the extreme summer heat of NCR.

Most Viewed