Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2007, 13:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

That reminds me, I need an engine for my car too. I have had the boring, piston ring changing, I think at one point I even had new pistons put, not very sure though. But the car still misses, and drives like a minidor. How much is the cost for changing engines?
Old 11th January 2007, 14:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well, as an owner of a Tata Sumo for the past 10 years ,here is my advice:
The sumo's engine isn't really an Engineering marvel. My car's engine has done till now 176,000 kms and i rebuilt it at 126,000 kms.

IMO, the ideal engine change would be to a TCIC Tata Safari/Sumo turbo engine since its 'tried and tested' and not much can go wrong.

I recently came across a Sumo whose engine busted when the timing belt snapped(poor maintenance) and the con-rod travelled horizontally and broke the block into two. They got a "light-used" Sumo engine from Pudupet for 8,000 bucks! So, a Safari engine shouldn't cost the earth.

And dont try to turbo-charge an NA Sierra engine,its too weak and wont hold for long.
The guy who rebuilt my engine has rebuilt hundreds of Tata engines which is why i chose him.PM me if u need his contact number.

Last edited by nitrous : 11th January 2007 at 14:12.
Old 16th February 2007, 14:55   #18
BHPian

Can Anyone Help ME Transplant A Pertol(maruti) engines or other petrol engines into TATA Sierra (I am ready to change my gearbox too)...Thanks
Old 17th May 2008, 12:02   #19
BHPian

Are the engine mounts the same on the 3.0 and the new 2.2 for the Tata?
I was just curious.
Old 17th May 2008, 12:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would hunt for the 2.2 VTT via a dealer..the engine transplant and the change in final drive to suit the engine would do wonders for the sierra.

Second option would be to plonk the Safari TCIC 2.0 litre engine.

Third option would be the 3.0 Turbo [DICOR] or the 3.0liter NA 407 engine. All engines will fit the sierra engine bay but take care to change the final drive accordingly for a good ride.

later
Old 17th May 2008, 12:24   #21
BHPian

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by
'changing the final drive' !?!
Old 17th May 2008, 13:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by
'changing the final drive' !?!
The final drive is the overall reduction in the gearbox which translates to the wheels

For instance, a 4:1 final drive will have the engine rotating 4 revolutions to 1 of the wheel.

So what i meant was that the sierra has a lot of options, but since it is a 17 year old design, with various engine options, unless care is taken to change the final drive too, one may not enjoy the drive.

The TATA 407 DI 3.0 litre engine and the 3.0 DICOR engine though of the same block have different characteristics. One is designed for lugging loads whereas the other for a "Drive In Comfor On Road".
Old 1st December 2009, 15:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Making it a 4x4 might be dicey though unless you source parts from the Sierra 4x4 which was made just before the Sierra as a whole went out of production.
Old thread as of now but I got some new news.. I always dreamed about a Sierra 4wd and one of my internet friend have this which I though he has converted by his own. Any idea how many pcs of 4wd produces..?? My friend said the count is less than 100, I wonder... Any luck to get a 4wd Sierra??
Old 1st December 2009, 19:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@DesertKing:

This is something that I thought of as well, but I think the issue will be sourcing parts for the front suspension as sierra is out of production for years. Your best bet will be to source the front wheel/drive suspension from a Tata Safari old/new and then convert the Sierra.
Old 17th March 2010, 23:35   #25
BHPian

Whatever happened to the thread starter... come on man, what happened eventually? did you get the swap done? By who? How much did it cost? All important answers that i need to know. Dont want to start a different thread for it.
Old 25th March 2010, 16:10   #26
BHPian

Please let me know how much would the 2.2L Dicor engine in a good condition would cost me ? One of my friend is planning to re-build his 96 model Sierra.
Old 25th March 2010, 17:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Please let me know how much would the 2.2L Dicor engine in a good condition would cost me ? One of my friend is planning to re-build his 96 model Sierra.

2.2 DICOR engine is an ECU controlled block, you would have a lot of problems with the wiring, not to mention other mounting issues. Try getting a turbo charged TCIC engine if you wnat an upgrade.

Pramod
Old 25th March 2010, 18:39   #28
BHPian

Hi Pramod,

Appreciate your reply.

This pal of mine is going for a complete makeover of the vehicle.

He was a new peppy engine, good suspensions, good braking setup and upholstery too.

So when the new engine is being installed, dont we get everything (Filters, Wiring etc) altogether ?

Please share your thoughts. Both of us like good looking SUVs, Looks and engine performance is what matters the most to us. But unfortunately we are not geeks in automobiles.

We'll consider everyone's inputs on this.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 26th March 2010, 00:14   #29
BHPian

Hey 25kcc,

Glad to know there are fellow bhpians trying out the same exact thing that i'm trying to do.

I think this whole engine swapping business will take time if not a lot of searching and effort. Of the multiple threads we have on the forum about Sierra mods, not one person has reverted back with complete details after the swap.

I contacted this guy in Chennai who knows a mechanic doing engine swaps, he told me that a 2.2 vtt would cost 2.2 lakh and above without the labour, fittings and other charges. I was looking for the 3 litre dicor, but that too would need about 1.7 to 2 lakhs.

Now i dont know what kind of engines he's talking about. Feels like he told me about new engines. So the other thing is to try getting it from the auto markets like shivajinagar in bangalore and likewise. In one of the threads someone has mentioned not to give anything more than 20k for a tata engine. I tried clarifying this with the guy in Chennai but i've got no replies.

Anyway, hope you're more lucky and keep us posted on the thread. Would love to know how it progresses.

Cheers.

p.s - What Model and year is your (friends) Sierra?
Old 26th March 2010, 01:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advyth
he told me that a 2.2 vtt would cost 2.2 lakh and above without the labour, fittings and other charges. I was looking for the 3 litre dicor, but that too would need about 1.7 to 2 lakhs.

Now i dont know what kind of engines he's talking about. Feels like he told me about new engines.
These are engines removed from stolen and totaled vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks