Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2007, 21:41   #1
BHPian

Engine for Tata SIERRA

My friend owns a siera the engin got seced due to lack of maintanence and now the mechanics told the head assembly crank is too week so spending(nearly rs 35,000) on this engine is not worth they had a sumo engine which has done 35,000 km and exchanging the old siera engine they charge 30,000. but my friend has a idea to replace some other powerfull engine is that possible.If so wat engine can we fix.will there be any problem if engine is changed ?????
help
Old 7th January 2007, 23:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Try the TATA 207 DI engine
Old 8th January 2007, 08:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you're willing to wait a while I'll sell the 3 litre Dicor engine when I get my hands on the 2.2 which my dealer has promised to retrofit if I'm able to get the engine (which I will).
Old 8th January 2007, 13:26   #4
BANNED

If done properly, an engine swap will not cause any harm.
The problems involved are many. Finding a good engine (in your case, it seems Steeroid has solved it), a nice mechanic/garage to do the job, perfect execution etc...
But if you get these parameters correct, then it'll turn out to be a neverending motoring pleasure. The satisfaction a powerful engine can bring to a car is simply great.

If a Sumo engine can fit in, then I think a Safari engine will definitely fit in. You can also try sourcing a Terracan engine (will be hard to find though). Wanna go petrol route? There'll be a lot of excitement on store there.

If needed, you can make that Sierra a 4WD too. Just look for Safari leftovers at Tata service stations.
A Sierra with 3litre turbocharged engine and 4WD to moot! That'll be great fun!!
Old 8th January 2007, 13:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

The good thing about Tata Sierras and Sumos etc is that they share parts. Why the initial engine in the Safari was the same one that did duty in the Sierra Turbo. The Sierra has a large engine bay ( I own one too).. Steer's Dicor engine would just might do the trick . You'll have a newer engine and your Sierra will get a new lease of life .

Making it a 4x4 might be dicey though unless you source parts from the Sierra 4x4 which was made just before the Sierra as a whole went out of production

Good luck on ur endeavour and hope you succeed
Old 9th January 2007, 21:30   #6
BHPian

thanks a lot

ho ppl thanks for all ur advice .any 1 have any idea like how much will a engine cost and how can it be fixed??? hope to get a safari engine soon ,hay steeroid ill keep in touch with you.

SMS language is not allowed here and you know that from board rules.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th January 2007 at 07:50.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:09   #7
BANNED

Hi ,

I think the mechanic is ripping off your friend . The max that your friend should spend should not be above 10,000.

Advice your friend to stick to the same engine and incase the engine needs a rework ,ask your friend to go to a suitable workshop which has facilities for reboring . Better thing would be to remove the engine ,transport it to chennai ,incase your friend lives in madurai .
Advice your friend to contact popular automobiles ,they might be able to give your friend a complete itemwise charges .

PM if you need more info

Another thing is you got to get the swap engine endorsed ,which is a pain in the A .The effort put in is simply not worth for a sierra .

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd April 2010 at 12:45. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samybravo View Post
they had a sumo engine which has done 35,000 km and exchanging the old siera engine they charge 30,000.
man, you could get a sumo for that price. get an engine from pudupet. you could even get a nissan engine & plonk it if you have the right people there. do not give more than 15k for any TATA engine, that is the maximum going price, even for a near new one. heartbreaking for the seller & heartwarming for the buyer, thats just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Another thing is you got to get the swap engine endorsed ,which is a pain in the A .The effort put in is simply not worth for a sierra .
endorsement is not really an issue, as long as you are ready to pay for it.
Old 10th January 2007, 22:51   #9
BHPian

which one should i go for change the engine or mode the excisting engine which one is effecient ?? how much will it cost and we got a new headach got only 5 yrs for fc gime some advice pls

my friend said that the engine has been bored and replaced with the last size piston the head is totaly wothless have to fine a secondhand or a new one(rs 17000) the crank assembly is weak. thats why i think the mechanics told 35000 but i don know how far itz true do u ppl think that it will cost that much ?????

SMS language is not allowed here and you know that from board rules.

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd April 2010 at 12:46. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 10th January 2007, 23:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Why the initial engine in the Safari was the same one that did duty in the Sierra Turbo.
i know the sierra turbo came in pretty early around 1997, and the safari in 1999, but werent the first batch safaris non-turbo?

manson.
Old 10th January 2007, 23:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

No manson the Safaris started off with the Sierra Turbo engines itself. Thats the reason why the power was too less and sluggish f or the mammoth Safari
Old 10th January 2007, 23:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
i know the sierra turbo came in pretty early around 1997, and the safari in 1999, but werent the first batch safaris non-turbo?
No AFAIK all Safari's were launched with the 2.0 Turbo engine putting out 90 bhp. Later the same engine was transplanted into the Sumo & Sierra Turbo's.
Old 10th January 2007, 23:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ishan

Youre partly right the The Sierra Turbo came in 97 and that engine went into the SAfari which came in 98. Later this engine was shod into the Sumo which then started coming in Turbo versions.

So its the Sierra Turbo which started the whole Tata turbo thingy
Old 11th January 2007, 00:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Ishan

Youre partly right the The Sierra Turbo came in 97 and that engine went into the SAfari which came in 98. Later this engine was shod into the Sumo which then started coming in Turbo versions.

So its the Sierra Turbo which started the whole Tata turbo thingy
Yes sir you're right!! I blame the beers I just had for clouding my memory It was indeed the Sierra Turbo which got the powerplant first & then was tranferred into the Safari & ultimately the Sumo!
Old 11th January 2007, 00:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samybravo View Post
My friend owns a siera the engin got seced due to lack of maintanence and now the mechanics told the head assembly crank is too week so spending(nearly rs 35,000) on this engine is not worth they had a sumo engine which has done 35,000 km and exchanging the old siera engine they charge 30,000. but my friend has a idea to replace some other powerfull engine is that possible.
First question, is your engine a non turbo? If it is, then you will find a big improvement of you install a turbo engine.

The sumo engine that you are trying to aquire, is it a NA or turbo. If its turbo, then go for it.

If you want a much more powerful engines, then DICOR and Scorpio are optiosn but availability is a problem and you have to search for crashed vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks