Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 00:11   #1
BHPian

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo

Dashcams have been generating a lot of hype lately and it is becoming very important now-a-days to have one, given the ever increasing traffic and the amount of ill-mannered drivers on the road.
I wanted to have a multipurpose camera, that could serve up as a dashcam and that could be mounted over the car and take some videos during road trips. I searched on Amazon and found the SJCAM SJ4000 to be perfect for my requirements, read some reviews about it and purchased it while I still didn't know it also had a dashcam mode.
So here's my take on the SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi, that I have been using as a dashcam for sometime now.

First an overview of the product:
  1. This is an action cam by all means, but SJCAM has provided a dashcam mode in this camera.
  2. It comes with a box full of extra goodies, that includes a ton of mounts (except the windshield mount), straps and 3M double sided tape.
  3. I got it for Rs.6500 on Amazon a while back, currently it is retailing for Rs.51XX.
  4. The camera is very compact.
  5. It comes with a removeable 900mAh battery.
  6. Comes with WiFi to transfer videos from camera to your phone using the SJCAM app.
  7. Supports SD-cards up to 128GB

The packaging:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_225021.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_223029.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_223021.jpg

The extra mounts and goodies:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_221826.jpg

The camera:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220141.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220217.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220546.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220732.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220750.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220814.jpg

There is a dashcam mode in the camera menu, that when enabled turns the camera ON and OFF with respect to the power provided from the USB. Hence, I have connected it to the 12V socket using a USB charger, so when I turn the ignition ON the camera powers ON and shuts down when the car is turned OFF.

The viewfinder:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220247.jpg

The list of options available in the menu:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220902.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220410.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220430.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220447.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220503.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220520.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220534.jpg

The resolutions available are 1080p@30fps, 720p@60fps and 480p@30/60fps respectively. There is a also a loop recording mode that can record videos in 3,5 and 10 min loops. It also capture's the video five seconds after the loop ends so that you don't miss out on anything when the other loop is being recorded. You can also set your cars licence plate number to show up in the video along with the time-date stamp.

The video quality is superb. At night it struggles a little bit, but highlights everything that falls under the headlights beam. The best part about the camera is you can even record underwater videos using the waterproof case, in case you plan to use it as an action cam or maybe even take it for a swim. It can be mounted on top of the car with the mounts provided, along with the 3M double sided tape.
The poly-carbonate case for the waterproof feature is very strong and can withstand the abuse very well.
You can also take pictures in various resolutions. The picture quality is also great.

If you use the loop recording mode, the camera automatically overwrites the old videos and records new ones, so you do not need to buy a large capacity memory card to store the videos and keep formatting the card every now and then when it gets full.
A nifty feature that the camera has is video protect mode, where in case you meet with an accident and want that video to be in the camera and not deleted accidentally or overwritten. You can just tap the power button on the front, and a key icon will appear in the viewfinder showing that the video is protected and won't be deleted. In fact you cannot delete that video from the camera at all, unless you move or delete the video from the memory card using a PC.

The camera also gets WiFi which supports real time video recording using your phone screen as the viewfinder and also a remote to take selfie's using the SJCAM app. You can also download the videos from the camera to your phone using the app; very convenient to use when on the move without a computer at your disposal.

Double click the volume up button and the camera enters WiFi mode. It'll display the WiFi SSID and password to be used to connect the camera to the phone.

The screen that comes up when in WiFi mode:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_222639.jpg

Search for this SSID in your phone WiFi settings, input the password and the camera will be connected to your phone. A solid yellow light will be ON on the top of the camera, to confirm it's in WiFi mode.
A blue WiFi icon also shows up in the viewfinder.

The viewfinder with the WiFi icon and the solid yellow light:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_221015.jpg
Both the SSID and password can be changed in the menu.

The app interface:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-screenshot_20181016222704.jpg
Click on the "Camera" button and the phone connects to the camera.

The viewfinder on the phone screen:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-screenshot_20181016221107.jpg

List of the videos recorded, select the videos needed and click download:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-screenshot_20181016221123.jpg

Last edited by francis_vaz : 17th October 2018 at 17:53.
francis_vaz is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 15:29   #2
BHPian

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dashcam/Actioncam Combo.

The camera comes with a dashcam mount/case in the box. But unfortunately does not get a windshield mount. There are many cheaper ones available but not all fit the mounts provided by SJCAM.

The dashcam mount:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_220716.jpg

The screw type windshield mount:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_221212.jpg
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_221224.jpg

The "W" shaped attachment is provided in the box by SJCAM, and it fits over the mount using a screw similar to a tripod. The mount has a lot of adjustments so fine tuning it to your needs is very easy.

The camera when fixed to the mount:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_223230.jpg

Installed inside the car:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181017_162521.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181017_162533.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181017_162600.jpg

View from outisde:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181017_162652.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181017_162727.jpg

SD-Card and USB adapter used:
Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_225102.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_225207.jpg

Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo-img_20181016_225235.jpg

Dashcam recordings:

Links to the products used above:

Camera:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SD-Card:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB adapter:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Windshield mount:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS: I have no affinity towards the products or the company in any manner.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 17th October 2018 at 21:26.
francis_vaz is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 08:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod's note: thread moved from Assembly Line to the Modifications and Accessories section. Thanks for sharing!
theMAG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 08:51   #4
BHPian

Re: Review: SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi - Dash cam / Action cam Combo

Thanks Francis for the thread, it's just in time for fixing my SJ7 Star on the car. Like you even I would be using SJ7 for shooting trips, use on the helmet for rides and now wish to fix it as dashcam.

The mount link you have given says it's unavailable. Yesterday I ordered one from FK and hope it serves my purpose.

Axcess Suction Cup Mount Tripod Mount + Handle Screw for GoPro HD Hero 1 2 3 3+ Suction Cup
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/axcess-suc...oduct.share.pp

Also can you let me know did you observe any reflection of dashboard or any other thing on the videos, just wanted to check if I need to buy a CPL or stock set up would be fine.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 10:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Thanks Francis for the thread, it's just in time for fixing my SJ7 Star on the car. Like you even I would be using SJ7 for shooting trips, use on the helmet for rides and now wish to fix it as dashcam.
You are welcome, happy to help. Please check if the SJ7 Star also gets the dash cam mode.

Quote:
The mount link you have given says it's unavailable. Yesterday I ordered one from FK and hope it serves my purpose.
Really sorry about that, I didn't know it would go out of stock so soon.
Here's another one of the same type:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01HNPARRA/..._U7aYBb05C4DR0

Quote:
Axcess Suction Cup Mount Tripod Mount + Handle Screw for GoPro HD Hero 1 2 3 3+ Suction Cup
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/axcess-suc...oduct.share.pp
I am not quite sure if the sliding lock is the same as provided by SJCAM. There is a chance it might not be able to lock the camera.

Quote:
Also can you let me know did you observe any reflection of dashboard or any other thing on the videos, just wanted to check if I need to buy a CPL or stock set up would be fine.
There is a little bit of reflection in the videos, but after some experimenting I found that the camera if placed closer and higher to the windshield, it will prevent the reflections from showing up in the video. But since all cars have the windshield fixed at a different angle, I can't say my experimenting will be true for all cases. The only problem is during the night, when if the windshield is dirty, it literally spreads the light beam from the oncoming traffic and reduces the cameras performance by quite a margin.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 18th October 2018 at 10:25.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
You are welcome, happy to help. Please check if the SJ7 Star also gets the dash cam mode.
Hey Francis,

Couple of questions for you -

1. Do you remove battery when using DashCam mode. If yes, then as soon as battery is removed, the date and time sets to default, how do you deal with that. Do we need to set everytime to current date and time, as I am afraid if all videos take up wrong time stamp due to this problem.

2. Do you get any 'recover video' sign on the Cam once you stop car and restart?

Thanks.
KK
Old 23rd October 2018, 17:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Francis,

Couple of questions for you -
Quote:
1. Do you remove battery when using DashCam mode. If yes, then as soon as battery is removed, the date and time sets to default, how do you deal with that. Do we need to set everytime to current date and time, as I am afraid if all videos take up wrong time stamp due to this problem.
No, the battery is always in the camera. It is just the dashcam mode that starts and shuts down the camera automatically.

Quote:
2. Do you get any 'recover video' sign on the Cam once you stop car and restart?
Nope, nothing like that shows up. But the camera takes around 10-15 sec to shut down after the car has been turned off.
Old 23rd October 2018, 17:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
No, the battery is always in the camera. It is just the dashcam mode that starts and shuts down the camera automatically.

Nope, nothing like that shows up. But the camera takes around 10-15 sec to shut down after the car has been turned off.
Thanks for revert, there are many discussions and even the manual suggesting removal of battery while it is on dash cam mode to avoid over heating issues. Will try that way once.
Old 23rd October 2018, 18:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for revert, there are many discussions and even the manual suggesting removal of battery while it is on dash cam mode to avoid over heating issues. Will try that way once.
I keep the battery in the camera, mine doesn't heat up and I have been using this setup for quite some time now.
Although I am not sure if that is a problem with the SJ7 star.

Also, have you turned on loop recording? The "recover video" error might be coming because of that.
Old 23rd October 2018, 19:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread Francis and with a lot of details. I guess its raining dashcam reviews on the forum lately. Mods - Time to start a new section??

A couple of queries:
1) How fast does the dashcam connect to the app through wifi?
2) When you switch to the camera mode from app, does recording still continue?
3) How fast is the video download from app to your mobile memory & size of the file (I assume 3 min)?

The dashcam for sure looks discreet when viewed from outside. Any idea if the picture quality reduces due to temperature rise. As you know Mumbai faces some serious temperature fluctuations.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Nice thread Francis and with a lot of details.
Thank you!

Quote:
A couple of queries:
1) How fast does the dashcam connect to the app through wifi?
The only time taken is for the phone to connect to the camera's hotspot, which happens in say ten seconds or maybe less. After that you have to open the application and tap "camera" button, after that you can use the app as the viewfinder or use it to download the videos.

Quote:
2) When you switch to the camera mode from app, does recording still continue?
Sorry but I didn't understand what you actually are asking for, but if you are asking if the camera still record's while the app is connected, then there is a WiFi icon that appears in the camera viewfinder so I can't say if the video is being recorded.
But I'll do check if the video is saved in the gallery and let you know.

Quote:
3) How fast is the video download from app to your mobile memory & size of the file (I assume 3 min)?
I have seen different speeds on different devices, my OP3 gives around 3-3.5 Mb/s, whereas my dad's OP6 gives around 4-5 Mb/s. Time taken is around a minute and half tops for a typical file size of ~350mb. The WiFi band is 2.4 Ghz.

Quote:
The dashcam for sure looks discreet when viewed from outside.
Yes it is quite difficult to see the camera from outside.

Quote:
Any idea if the picture quality reduces due to temperature rise. As you know Mumbai faces some serious temperature fluctuations.
No, I don't think that happens, at least for video quality.
My car travels a lot in Mumbai too, but never faced any drop or change in video quality.
Old 24th October 2018, 09:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but I didn't understand what you actually are asking for, but if you are asking if the camera still record's while the app is connected, then there is a WiFi icon that appears in the camera viewfinder so I can't say if the video is being recorded.
But I'll do check if the video is saved in the gallery and let you know.
What I intended to ask was when you use camera option in the app to take pictures, does the recording happen in the back ground. The reason I am asking is that in my Yi dashcam if you start taking pictures through app, the recording is disabled till you come out of the camera mode.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 09:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What I intended to ask was when you use camera option in the app to take pictures, does the recording happen in the back ground. The reason I am asking is that in my Yi dashcam if you start taking pictures through app, the recording is disabled till you come out of the camera mode.
No that doesn't happen. The viewfinder also changes the mode to photo mode so you can only take photos. If you want to take videos you can switch back to video mode just by tapping on the button in the app interface.
Simultaneous video and photos is not possible.
Old 24th October 2018, 09:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I keep the battery in the camera, mine doesn't heat up and I have been using this setup for quite some time now.
Although I am not sure if that is a problem with the SJ7 star.

Also, have you turned on loop recording? The "recover video" error might be coming because of that.

Only yesterday night I set up the mount and the SJ7 Star on the mount. Just tried once and it seems to be working flawless. Will have to try more today and tomorrow.

Regarding 'recover video' error, I had read it on the forums and thank God I didn't get any such error yesterday.

One more thing I need to ask is since the Cam is now mounted upside down, it will also be recording time stamp on the video. Once we copy the video on the system and turn it to correct position the time stamp would also turn to wrong side and show in inverted position right. How to deal with it.

Sorry for asking too many questions.
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 10:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Only yesterday night I set up the mount and the SJ7 Star on the mount. Just tried once and it seems to be working flawless. Will have to try more today and tomorrow.
Glad that the mount works as expected. It'll be much easier for you to mount and dismount the camera when required.

Quote:
Regarding 'recover video' error, I had read it on the forums and thank God I didn't get any such error yesterday.
Any reason why it showed up in the first place?

Quote:
One more thing I need to ask is since the Cam is now mounted upside down, it will also be recording time stamp on the video. Once we copy the video on the system and turn it to correct position the time stamp would also turn to wrong side and show in inverted position right. How to deal with it.
I am not sure why yours is mounted upside down. Are you using the dashcam case provided by SJCAM? If yes than the camera can be installed in the case the other way round as well. Please check the picture I posted above with the dashcam case. Can you share a picture of the camera in the case with the windshield mount?
Also in case you are not able to mount it in the proper orientation, there is an option to "Rotate" in the camera menu, do check that out.
I didn't face any issues with upside down videos or inverted time stamp. I'll suggest you to check the casing first, it'll solve all your problems.
Quote:
Sorry for asking too many questions.
No problem, always happy to help.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 24th October 2018 at 10:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks