Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 23:05   #46
BHPian

Re: The Aftermarket TPMS Thread & Review of my Visture Solar TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Requesting you to please update on how the external TPMS is working. I intend to buy for my car too and want to order, not sure if I should do from nexdigitron or amazon. If all are rebranded same stuff then I will go whoever on amazon has right balance of price and reviews.
I have the same make of tpms as dsuman. Mine was branded Skyshop.

I had bought it last year and it's still going strong now.
I'm happy with an external device as I fill air using my portable tire inflator whenever needed, and I remove and fit the hex nuts back on my own.

I would not buy an internal one as I don't know when it would go bust and I'd have to dismantle the whole tire just to get it out.
Right now if my tpms stops working or breaks, I'll just throw it out on my own.

Regarding reliability: just because mine held up for more than an year, doesn't mean it will for you. Yours might last longer; or not!
You can never really say with these Chinese rebranded products with minimal QC.

As some would say - "chale to jahaan tak, na chale to shaam tak"!!
Vitruvius is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 15:39   #47
BHPian

People using the "skyshop" brand (and other similar rebranded) external TPMS, I know it comes with some sort of washer which one can use to lock the TPMS so one cannot steal them. I want to ask if is it absolutely needed to user that anti theft nut or can I just put screw in the 4 TPMS and be done with it?

Also, would appreciate people using the external TPMS for sometime to mention how it is working for them since it was installed and how it has helped you.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:29   #48
BHPian

Hi All. Need one help here.
I got my car delivered last sunday (Grand i10 NIOS) and the recommended pressure written on door is 35 Front and 33 Rear. I had already bought the external TPMS (skyshop one) and got an opportunity to install it today.
The way I installed it is as follows...
  1. Since the battery in TPMS was discharged, I used a small power bank with MicroUSB cable to power the TPMS.
  2. Removed the nozzle cap on one tyre and fastened the hex nut all the way down (for now).
  3. Put the appropriate TPMS sensor on the tyre nozzle and I didn't really hear any air escaping or so. All this time, I had the TPMS with me near to the sensor. This was done to aid in faster pairing.
  4. After first sensor installation, was surprised to see the PSI of 51 on the display.
  5. I installed the other 3 sensors and all showed me similar 51 or 52 readings. This is way above the recommended reading.
  6. Didn't fasten the hex nuts near the sensor yet as car is anyways parked in society parking and I don't expect things to get stolen. May do later. Btw, can I use the sensors without hex nuts completely? I know it increases probability of being stolen.

The car was last driven yesterday night and that too like 3-4 Kms, not more. Since morning not driven. It is not a covered parking, it is open in society. I installed the TPMS at 10 AM so I am not sure how "cold" the tyre was. I also have the analog needle based tyre pressure unit but didn't try using it yet.

In my scenario, should I check again at night like 10 PM or say tomorrow 8 AM and recheck pressure and if it is still so high, should I use the analog tyre pressure guage to release some air to reach the desired pressure?

Last edited by raksrules : 23rd March 2022 at 11:33.
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
In my scenario, should I check again at night like 10 PM or say tomorrow 8 AM and recheck pressure and if it is still so high, should I use the analog tyre pressure guage to release some air to reach the desired pressure?
Hi
First of all congratulations on your new car!!

It is routine practice among many car dealers to overfill tyres while they're sitting, awaiting delivery. I'm not surprised by the readings you have mentioned.

Just leak out some air to reach the recommended psi levels and enjoy your car

As for the hex nuts, I would recommend using them, as a rotating car tyre at varying speeds may cause the external sensors to come off anytime. The nuts have no connection to the sensors/display, so not using them is not going to change your readings.

Last edited by Vitruvius : 23rd March 2022 at 14:12.
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
It seems quite a few dealerships forget to adjust tyre pressures before delivering the car to the end customer. Seeing readings like yours is not really that unexpected.

If you are sure that the analog gauge you have is properly calibrated then go ahead and reduce the type pressure. Try and see if the TPMS system readings match the ones on the analog gauge.

If you are not sure about the analog gauge then you might need to head to reputable petrol pump in your area/borrow a calibrated gauge from someone else.

Edit: Also, I don't think you really need to be bothered that much about the time of the day/temperature outside/parking location etc. I don't expect these to contribute more than 1/2 psi to the readings.

Last edited by JithinR : 23rd March 2022 at 14:18.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

If you are sure that the analog gauge you have is properly calibrated then go ahead and reduce the type pressure. Try and see if the TPMS system readings match the ones on the analog gauge.
I also have the Wosher 802D digital display portable tyre inflator so that also is an option for me to verify if the readings are correct or not. I will check all this later night today or tomorrow morning and adjust pressure accordingly.
Old 23rd March 2022, 18:13   #52
BHPian

So today evening I went back to car and tested using the analog guage and the readings are almost exactly same as what the shopsky TPMS is giving. So I used the analog unit to release air from all the tyres and brought the pressure to 37 / 38 in all tyres.
Tomorrow morning 8 AM types I will go again when tyres will be colder to see the reading and if it still same, I will remove more air.

Or is it ok to keep where it is right now? Because when I drive the car, the PSI is expected to increase right?
Old 23rd March 2022, 18:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
So today evening I went back to car and tested using the analog guage and the readings are almost exactly same as what the shopsky TPMS is giving. So I used the analog unit to release air from all the tyres and brought the pressure to 37 / 38 in all tyres.
Tomorrow morning 8 AM types I will go again when tyres will be colder to see the reading and if it still same, I will remove more air.

Or is it ok to keep where it is right now? Because when I drive the car, the PSI is expected to increase right?
As pointed out by JithinR, the tyre pressure will increase by a small margin when the tyres are hot.
I have set my tyres on 34 all around, they hover somewhere around 36 when I'm driving. A few psi up or down doesn't matter much though
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 14:42   #54
BHPian

I have the sky shop external TPMS installed in my car. It seems that temperature of the right rear tyre is stuck at 25 Celsius. Is there a way to fix it? Or I will need to do a factory reset of the TPMS unit?

How do I do factory reset and once that is done, will it automatically pair with all the 4 tyre units without me needing to do anything?

Attaching picture for reference number.
Attached Thumbnails
The Aftermarket TPMS Thread & Review of my Visture Solar TPMS-4be2ec0bacb6413f8dcae274db4e9a92.jpeg  

Old 29th May 2022, 14:53   #55
BHPian

I came across Blaukpaunt Solar powered TPMS. Did anyone has installed or can vouch for it ?

Ever since Duster 1.3 Turbo CVT Apterra's went flat without even mebknowing and fellow driver intimating about it - I've been checking everytime I drive out. TPMS should help identify the issues when I'm on highway.

Appreciate your words about the Blaukpaunt model - thanks in advance.
Old 27th June 2022, 20:04   #56
BHPian

Since no one has mentioned and I experienced it, I wanted to just explain it to others.

As you can see from the above post (The Aftermarket TPMS Thread & Review of my Visture Solar TPMS), I was facing issues with one of my external sensors. I had bought the unit from skyshop guy directly over whatsapp. Then I removed all the sensors and tried to re-pair and now the sensor would no pair at all.

I messaged the skyshop guy on whatsapp and I had to give him screenshots of the chat proving I bought the unit from him via whatsapp. As far as the issue one is facing is concerned, they won't take what you are saying on face value. They will need to have a video call with you and you have to show them actual issue. I say it is fair ask as sometimes, it may be user error and things may be resolvable over the call.

I did the call and showed him entire issue. I switched batteries and he even switched tires in the unit (RR became FR). Nothing worked and he was convinced it was an issue with the RR unit. I had to pay Rs. 70 for shipping to Mumbai for the replacement RR unit and now the replacement unit is working fine with the original hub unit.

Just wanted to let all know how to make it work if things go south with this unit.

Last edited by raksrules : 27th June 2022 at 20:07.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 21:05   #57
BHPian

My experience with the Manatec external sensor TPMS
TLDR - very poor quality, innacurate with pathetic to no customer support.

Installed the 5 internal sensor model 8 months ago. It's always been inaccurate by 2 to 3 psi..across all psi ranges. Since few weeks, randomly, a random sensor will disconnect from the main unit and show error then come back... Then it repeats.
Customer support does not reply, keeps passing the buck and makes false promises about calling back.
Very poor quality product with a pathetic customer support team. Do not recommend wasting money on this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Aftermarket TPMS Thread & Review of my Visture Solar TPMS-20230203_144957.jpg  

rhsakarp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 14:06   #58
BHPian

I recently installed an external TPMS: RSI voice alerts solar USB/TPMS.

I have been having 2 issues:

1. The reading of 2 out of 4 sensors is offset
If I fill 35 PSI on 2 tyres, even if the filler machine is uncalibrated, I expect to get the same reading on both tyres. But one sensor would show 34, other would show 30-31

2. One of the sensors goes offline; sometimes for hours sometimes for days
The display doesn't complain or anything, it's just that, the placeholder is empty. It comes back automatically. I thought it might have a drained battery, so I tried changing it. No luck.

Has anyone observed similar issues? Any suggestions?
Old 24th April 2023, 21:28   #59
BHPian

Finally after years of brooding and forgetting, installed the skyshop internal tpms. Post reading this thread I too bought directly on WhatsApp and received next day at BLR for 2550 for 4 sensors. MRF quoted 2k for installation, balancing and alignment, some fancy store at Varthur junction even quoted 3k just for some professional alignment. Luckily however found another Yokohama store nearby that did the same at 1300. Sensors and monitor pairing was plug and play and tpms is working fine so far.
AppyS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 00:52   #60
BHPian

I had an Amazon Gift Card, so decided to treat myself to a SkyShop External TPMS.

Went for a short drive in the rain, at night, and was wondering if it was normal for the rear tyres to be significantly colder than the front, or if it's an issue with the sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
The Aftermarket TPMS Thread & Review of my Visture Solar TPMS-img_20230522_220417_cr.jpg  

Most Viewed