Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2019, 19:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: SC: Vehicle cannot be altered to change original specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Last I heard from a guy who owns a travel business is that addition of luggage rack needs RTO approval...
This is mostly for tourist (yellow board) cars. Private cars IMHO don't have any rules regarding this in the relevant section. However, cops interpret this as illegal as not mentioned in law, but conversely you can tell them to show where it's mentioned as illegal - its a great area.

Quote:
Also, in my personal opinion, RTO approval should be needed for Luggage racks as it is potentially dangerous for others on the road if the luggage is not properly attached. Also, it does change the CG of the vehicle when loaded.
Isn't this the responsibility of the vehicle owner? Most cars, including my Abarth Punto specify mounting points as well as max weight for roof racks for luggage / cycles etc. Its upto the user to be responsible. Just because one idiot took his luggage on a roof carrier tried incorrectly, doesn't mean others that are careful should be scrutinised.

FYI, the cops haven't yet stopped the menace of missing under run bars, non functional lights on a truck / bus / other vehicles, etc and you think they have the capacity or the willingness to challan modifications?? Let them first manage things in the MV act, and then talk about SC Judgements.

Last edited by blackwasp : 26th January 2019 at 19:07.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 11:26   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this on FB. No idea if it's genuine but seems true.

SC: Vehicle cannot be altered to change original specs-whatsapp-image-20190128-8.15.51-pm.jpeg
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 14:04   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Saw this on FB. No idea if it's genuine but seems true.

Attachment 1842848
I had to go to the RTO in Kakkanad yesterday for some paperwork. You know this, but for the benefit of other TBHPians, the RTO is located in a huge building where multiple other government offices are also located and hence there are a lot of people who visit that building complex. As I was walking out of the parking lot and crossing the road, I noticed that cops were just around the wall (as you exit the gate) and catching all the modified cars who were exiting the premises. I saw one Polo TSI with tinted windows and a luxury car being pulled over to the side. Talk about making the life of cops easy

Another interesting incident was shared by my FNG. One of his customers who owned a Yamaha R15 with an after market exhaust slowed down for a cop who was asking passing bikers for a lift. So this young guy obliged and the cop told him where he wanted to be dropped. While riding, the cop heard the after market exhaust and tapped him on the shoulder and said "On second thoughts, let's head to the police station instead"

Last edited by neil.jericho : 29th January 2019 at 14:05.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 22:51   #49
BHPian

I wonder what this means for all rally cars.
From what I understand they're supposed to be road legal, or is my understanding incorrect?
Old 30th January 2019, 09:27   #50
BHPian

Modified Vehicles Get Deadline Of 31st January By The Kerala Police

Transport commissioner of the Kerala has said strict actions will be taken on the modified vehicles in the state.

Quote:

Kerala’s Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) has given the final ultimatum to the modified vehicle owners. The authority has said that 31st January is the last date to remove any modifications from the vehicles that could divert the attention of the other motorists on the road.

The transport commissioner of the state, K Padmakumar has said that many vehicles including the tourist vehicles have colourful pictures and lights on the outside of the vehicle that distracts other motorists. In several cases, accidents have happened in the past. According to the transport department, such vehicles distract the road users and several petitions have been filed against them in the recent past.

After the Supreme Court of India passed the ruling earlier this month banning any kind of modifcation on the vehicles, Kerala High Court asked the authorities to take strict actions. After 31st January 2019, the state police troops and traffic police will start a crackdown on such modified vehicles.

The transport commissioner said that the owners of the modified vehicles will first get notice and then steps will be taken to cancel the fitness certificates of the vehicles as well as the driving licences of the drivers.

LINK
Old 1st February 2019, 10:07   #51
BHPian

From CarToq, dated 21/11/2018 : Installing luggage carriers on cars NOT illegal

https://www.cartoq.com/luggage-carri...rt-department/

Last edited by John : 1st February 2019 at 10:09.
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 07:43   #52

Sorry if bumping into an old thread, I had been having some hard time personally. But any petrolhead shall be devastated by this absurd of a ruling. I believe only parliament can bring any legislation or amendment to MV Act to overcome this. There shall be a structured system to keep things safe while not destroying innovation & curiosity (and pure showoff, we need those people too)

Can't the motoring community as whole push for it? Through private bills or some stuff like that? And also helping homegrown industry too? Its a $300-400 billion industry that Indians are genuinely losing to be part off, especially considering the homegrown potential of 1.3bn people, if guided in right way. Like small volume manufacturers laws in west.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against enforcing laws, I believe it should be enforced, starting from driving license tests to . But most of our laws are copy-paste of British Raj that stifled local talents, industry, science, research etc. Will we ever have Britten? Or something like this kid (again from NZ)

Also IMHO (in my humble opinion) personal vehicles are a venue for people to tinker with technology. AFAIK, all of those countries where we see technologies that awe us, there is also laws & systems that nurture such endeavours.
rcknamboo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 08:59   #53

SC ruling is just interpretation of our crappy copy-paste British Raj laws that were created to stifle Indians from achieving anything worthwhile or growing. IMHO, MV Act like many other laws has enough stuff to stifle science, technology, research and social development.

IMHO Automobiles are a cheap and easier way to get people interested in technology. It's something that people use daily.

Automobile aftermarket is $3-400 billion worth and touch $500 billion by 2025.

SC cannot create new laws, only interpret what is written already in the law and maybe tweak a bit for modern times. It is the parliament that has to come up with new laws.

Can't we start a campaign for better laws to support modifications, low volume custom vehicles etc like in west? And those countries bring technologies that awe everyone not just petrolheads right?

[I had poured in a lot but that reply seems to have gone missing?]
rcknamboo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 11:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

We are in a unique conundrum. My aunt is purchasing a Dzire Tour cab to run in Uber. As per the RTO rules, the car should have a GPS tracker with emergency alert button.

The dealer says fitting this will void warranty as its not an authorised accessory and could hamper functioning of the electrical system. Technically the GPS fitment amounts to modification of the car.

What I fail to understand is this - first the speed governor and now the GPS. Aren't these contradicting the honourable Supreme Court's take on the rules? And if registration of such vehicles is allowed, what's stopping the RTO from incorporating provisions for say upgraded intercoolers, exhausts, wheel, and so on....
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 13:38   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Dealers claiming stuff about voiding warranty has always been a thing. We might find them using this law to strengthen their arguments, but really, it is a separate issue. Not to do with this law
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 17:16   #56
BHPian

I am curious to know how this new interpretation of the law works with modifying car body panels without affecting the structure.

I am thinking in the context of one of my old modifications done on the Logan back in 2010.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...keover-17.html (The Logan Makeover)
Old 1st May 2019, 18:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has an official vehicle customization outlet in Mumbai.

And these modifications are major.

The customization is for vehicles like Thar, Scorpio, Bolero.

The website mentions:

Quote:
The Mahindra vehicles offer drivers and passengers both power and comfort. Since all factory produced vehicles are standardized options, many buyers choose to personalize their vehicles by customising the car’s appearance. In addition to creating a unique style and a greater level of comfort, customising can greatly alter the feel of the vehicle. Although it requires an investment of time and money, the end result is thought to offset the means. There are many options or ways in which we customise a Mahindra variant. Whether performing interior enhancements or exterior upgrades, the selection of components available is vast. We also customise a pre-owned or existing vehicle in good mechanical condition subject to its fitness evaluation.

A Brief History of Mahindra Customisation Mahindra Customisation is a business vertical within Mahindra and Mahindra Auto Sector. It has a dedicated design studio manned by a competent team with rich International exposure in styling and design. It coordinates with a dedicated Marketing Team with 300 plus market touch points of Mahindra Dealerships across India. The customisation being part of M&M in-house division all customisation is done in concurrence with vehicle engineering guidelines without disturbing the Factory Warranty of the car. The Mahindra Customisation Studio is located in Mumbai and for all major customisation jobs the car needs to come to Mumbai post purchase and registration from city of owner’s location. Mahindra Customisation Sales and Marketing team can facilitate the vehicle logistics through logistics partners.

Will the above modifications which are done after registration and are actually given by M&M become illegal?
Old 1st May 2019, 20:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
We are in a unique conundrum. My aunt is purchasing a Dzire Tour cab to run in Uber. As per the RTO rules, the car should have a GPS tracker with emergency alert button.

The dealer says fitting this will void warranty as its not an authorised accessory and could hamper functioning of the electrical system. Technically the GPS fitment amounts to modification of the car.

What I fail to understand is this - first the speed governor and now the GPS. Aren't these contradicting the honourable Supreme Court's take on the rules? And if registration of such vehicles is allowed, what's stopping the RTO from incorporating provisions for say upgraded intercoolers, exhausts, wheel, and so on....

If this is a new purchase then I cannot understand why the dealer is fooling you. All commercial vehicles post a certain date need to be fitted with GPS tracker and emergency alert button by default from the showroom itself. And since this is a mandatory company fitment warranty has to be honoured. Plain and simple. It's the manufacturers responsibility and the dealers.
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
All commercial vehicles post a certain date need to be fitted with GPS tracker and emergency alert button by default from the showroom itself. And since this is a mandatory company fitment warranty has to be honoured. Plain and simple. It's the manufacturers responsibility and the dealers.
This is not the same as the factory spec car approved by the relevant authorities.

The speed governor is compulsory for all commercial vehicles while the GPS is mandatory for app based cabs only - not all commercial cars or for that matter even regular kaali-peeli taxis. This is where the ambiguity comes in.

Currently, the status is still not crystal clear. As of now, the dealer has agreed on mechanical warranty verbatim, but he's still not saying anything on electrical warranty.
Old 2nd May 2019, 22:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Perhaps the SC should also ensure that manufacturers can't sell under-tyred, under-specced cars either!! A good chunk of upgrades/mods are done to add some utility or feature to the car that is missing and that should've been there in the first place.

SC should ban bike tyres on cars (175 profile on Honda City, anyone?), candles for lights, non-film covered window glass for people to bake in the sun etc.

If manufacturers sell global spec cars, need for utility mods will go down anyway.

We can't touch our cars that we pay through our noses for, yet manufacturers can milk the customers dry by removing features, selling India-spec variants, and at usurious prices.
Aha! The perfect comment I’ve seen all week! Even our old Rapid comes with those 175/70/14 bike tires that I just want to chuck into the sea Hate car manufactures skimping basic safety features such as these, along with Airbags and ABS.
Nostalgic3r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed