Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 09:16   #1
BHPian

Repainting: Will the former colour show?

So, recently I bought a Fiesta 1.6 S, from Maharashtra. It was put up for sale by a dealer and since no car was on sale at the moment, I quickly blocked the car by paying an advance. After a month or so, I bought the car down to Kerala and gave it to Ford for a complete overhaul. However, some panels have to be reworked, as there are some rusts and dents.

I inquired about repainting my Fiesta from Paprika Red to Aquarius Blue. The patch works and rust issues have to be sorted out during the process. The painter is worried that the Red shade underneath might show up if it's changed to Blue in the long run, as Red is much darker than the Blue. Quite confused on this - whether to go with Paprika Red or Aquarius Blue. The latter is what my heart craves for.

Having heard about the upstanding work that he does, I'm afraid that I may have to take his word for this. Alongside, I have seen one of the cars which he's done recently, an another Aquarius Blue Fiesta - stripped and painted (the car was originally Aquarius Blue though). Impeccable job, I must say !

Estimated cost of repainting and other patch works would ball park around 60k. If going for a new colour, add an another 10k.

Attaching a few snaps for reference.

Any take on this.?

Mods: please move/merge the thread if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Repainting: Will the former colour show?-53dbf5b1b9434f3e9a7d006edb89019e.jpg  

Repainting: Will the former colour show?-b4177407b55a4adc869ed0a0da03b64f.jpg  

Repainting: Will the former colour show?-db8cf3c2a062425197bc593a9cc70e80.jpg  

Repainting: Will the former colour show?-gptempdownload.jpg  

E = mc˛ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 09:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Repainting: Will the former colour show?

You are sinking way too much money into this car in my view, if you completely re-paint the car.

My suggestion is to touch-up paint all the panels in the same color, and go for paint-restoration and body treatment at 3M or any other detailing center and save maybe 30-40k in the process. Most of the panels in the car might shine again after detailing (roof, bonnet, doors etc).

Just my suggestion. Yes the red might show again if you're changing the color unless you grind the old surface to bare-metal, and re-primer the panels.

Given the age of the car, minimal restoration work is highly suggestible. I mean I get that there will be sentimental reasons and a desire to restore the car to its former new condition but, logically 60-70k on paint alone is too much.
dark.knight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 10:05   #3
BHPian

I understand you love this car and want to feel it like new.

I second dark.knight, 60-70k appears very high. I think it should be around 30-40k. 30k for same color and 40k for changing.

Would you also consider vinyl wrap ? they are relatively lighter on wallet. Some quality 3M wraps look super cool, compared to regular repainting we can control texture such as gloss, matt, carbon fiber, metallic etc., Play with combinations such as dual tone. If not satisfied, peel off, apply new. It is just a day's job.

PS:
Whenever we buy a used car, some changes I feel are essential

1. Floor mats and Carpet change
2. Seat covers - No matter how good they look, better change we wouldn't know what kind of residues (biological and non-biological) remain in nook and corners
3. AC-Filter change
4. AC- cooling coil cleaning. Realized its importance when I opened the dashboard of my old Santro and looked into the coil. You will see all dead and living stuffs there evolved in a new eco-space
5. Interior detailing

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 21st January 2019 at 10:31. Reason: additional points
Thermodynamics is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 16:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

This car is rare these days and the kind of demand it has; totally justifies the money you are planning to put in it, at least from an emotional perspective , My friend also a BHPian is looking for one for ages.

Now, blue is a transparent color. it will show the color under it. The easiest way is to spray primer and then spray the base coat and the color coat couple of layers till it has full coverage and top it up with clear coat.

This would require a complete strip down and re assembly, factor 10-15 k more than what is quoted.

No weather you should do or not, the change is color will affect the value of the car and it can go both positively and negatively.

A change in color usually means that there are hidden gremlins so people don't prefer a car whose color is changed, however this can be over come if you document the whole process, step by step either here or in youtube.

If not done well, expect issues. Ford cars don't age well, my friend's fiesta has been repainted fully 6 time, yes you read it right. having a paintbooth helps, He had to replace 2 door and the other two needs to be replaced as well, Expect rust, it emerges as cancer even after a while on freshly painted surface. My suggestion is not far from what others mentioned above, stick to the present color.

I have changed my cars color from Golden to Black and it was a nightmare, Cars from MH and NCR have poor body lines and previous paint jobs. Factoring all that i hope you would be able to take a clear and informed decision.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

If you decide to go ahead, then changing colour is not a big issue if done right. Once the car is prepared well and base coat applied, there is no reason why the base color should hinder the outcome. Having said that like Pramod mentioned above, change of color requires lot more preparation and stripping to make it perfect. The painter is aware of this I guess, and hence dissuading you.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Repainting: Will the former colour show?

Hope you are aware that a change in car color needs to be endorsed by the RTO.
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:00   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The only way to change the colour of a car is by stripping it & removing the old colour entirely. I don't recommend this as factory fit is factory fit. An after-market paint shop will never be able to put together the car like the factory has. Ask me, I know.

For such an old car, I would recommend fixing all the dents & sticking to the original shade.

On the other hand, if you really want a blue, get the car wrapped . Some guys do a fantastic job - related thread (About Vinyl Wraps).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You are sinking way too much money into this car in my view, if you completely re-paint the car.

My suggestion is to touch-up paint all the panels in the same color, and go for paint-restoration and body treatment at 3M or any other detailing center and save maybe 30-40k in the process. Most of the panels in the car might shine again after detailing (roof, bonnet, doors etc).

Just my suggestion. Yes the red might show again if you're changing the color unless you grind the old surface to bare-metal, and re-primer the panels.

Given the age of the car, minimal restoration work is highly suggestible. I mean I get that there will be sentimental reasons and a desire to restore the car to its former new condition but, logically 60-70k on paint alone is too much.
This is a car which I've always wanted. Just a touch up here and there wouldn't suffice to restore her to the former glory, given the minimal usage by the previous owner during these years. Moreover, the rusts have to be got rid off from certain areas. You're right as well. From a financial point of view, quaffing in such money for the car may seem absurd. But I have got my heart connected to this car. It's a gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
I understand you love this car and want to feel it like new.

I second dark.knight, 60-70k appears very high. I think it should be around 30-40k. 30k for same color and 40k for changing.

Would you also consider vinyl wrap ? they are relatively lighter on wallet. Some quality 3M wraps look super cool, compared to regular repainting we can control texture such as gloss, matt, carbon fiber, metallic etc., Play with combinations such as dual tone. If not satisfied, peel off, apply new. It is just a day's job.
Quality vinyl wraps itself start from 50k. For that kind of money, I'd be better off with a respray, unless I require any fancy complexion on it.

Quote:
PS:
Whenever we buy a used car, some changes I feel are essential

1. Floor mats and Carpet change
2. Seat covers - No matter how good they look, better change we wouldn't know what kind of residues (biological and non-biological) remain in nook and corners
3. AC-Filter change
4. AC- cooling coil cleaning. Realized its importance when I opened the dashboard of my old Santro and looked into the coil. You will see all dead and living stuffs there evolved in a new eco-space
5. Interior detailing
Floor mat change is pending. Should be doing it in a few days time. The car came with seat covers. Probably, I'd retain the original seats by removing the cover. Thank You for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
This car is rare these days and the kind of demand it has; totally justifies the money you are planning to put in it, at least from an emotional perspective , My friend also a BHPian is looking for one for ages.
Thank You for understanding the car. It's kind of a dream come true. I have driven faster cars, but this one is rather special.

Quote:
Now, blue is a transparent color. it will show the color under it. The easiest way is to spray primer and then spray the base coat and the color coat couple of layers till it has full coverage and top it up with clear coat.

This would require a complete strip down and re assembly, factor 10-15 k more than what is quoted.

No weather you should do or not, the change is color will affect the value of the car and it can go both positively and negatively.

A change in color usually means that there are hidden gremlins so people don't prefer a car whose color in changed, however this can be over come if you document the whole process, step by step either here or in Youtube.

Pramod
I'm contemplating a few painters in town, and some are yet to be met. I'm taking feedbacks from other people as well. I'm more inclined towards getting her painted blue. The way the car looks in Aquarius Blue is just mesmerizing! A full review of the same is pending, which will for sure be happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you decide to go ahead, then changing colour is not a big issue if done right. Once the car is prepared well and base coat applied, there is no reason why the base color should hinder the outcome. Having said that like Pramod mentioned above, change of color requires lot more preparation and stripping to make it perfect. The painter is aware of this I guess, and hence dissuading you.
He himself mentioned in the beginning that it could be a tiresome task. If someone can pull off a perfect job and grand me a word of surety on the quality of the work in the long run, I wouldn't mind letting him work on it, even with a slightly higher quotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Hope you are aware that a change in car color needs to be endorsed by the RTO.
Yes, I am. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The only way to change the colour of a car is by stripping it & removing the old colour entirely. I don't recommend this as factory fit is factory fit. An after-market paint shop will never be able to put together the car like the factory has. Ask me, I know.

For such an old car, I would recommend fixing all the dents & sticking to the original shade.

On the other hand, if you really want a blue, get the car wrapped . Some guys do a fantastic job - related thread (About Vinyl Wraps).
Thanks for chiming in, GTO. The project could be heavy on pocket and might be time consuming as well. But if I can pull off a superior job, I'd be having this car forever. I'd endeavor my best to get her sprayed into the colour of my choice. Else, the current shade will be the only way to go.
Old 19th September 2020, 13:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc˛ View Post
But if I can pull off a superior job, I'd be having this car forever. I'd endeavor my best to get her sprayed into the colour of my choice. Else, the current shade will be the only way to go.
Did this repaint job happen?

On another note, what is the procedure to endorse in RTO? Should the necessary approvals taken before or after paint job?
Old 24th September 2020, 12:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Did this repaint job happen?

On another note, what is the procedure to endorse in RTO? Should the necessary approvals taken before or after paint job?
I opted for a respray with the same color itself a year and half back. Didn't bother into revamping it into a completely different paint.

I'm not very sure with the second part of your question. I guess, getting it repainted into a different color wouldn't be an issue as long as you get it endorsed in the RC.
Old 23rd January 2022, 23:07   #11

Ford Ecosport Paint change

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a used Ecosport from ola used cars. It is a 2013 model. I checked with multiple mechanics who gave me a thumbs up for the car. But I am not that into the car color and would like to get it changed.

Is there any good denting and painting shop in Mumbai that any body her has experience with? I would prefer one's with paint booth. Also an idea on how much it would cost would be great. I tried to search for threads on this topic, but all seem to be pretty old.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks