Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2019, 08:52   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0! Radar-based in-car surveillance system to catch vandals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
As a BMW owner I would not like to screw up my warranty by tampering with wiring etc. .
I agree with Rishi. No way would I get an after-market camera installed in my 70-lakh car. A manufacturer-backed & officially installed gadget offers incredible peace of the mind. Is it expensive at 57 grand? You bet. But it is cheaper than the cost of repair from a bad after-market product, or one that wasn't installed properly. Remember, nothing in these cars can be repaired for cheap.

Preserving my extended warranty & not tampering with the car is the primary reason that my 530d is bone stock in its 6th year.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th March 2019 at 17:32. Reason: Quoted post edited.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 09:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0! Radar-based in-car surveillance system to catch vandals

Quote:
This is based on radar that both cameras have that can detect movement at an early stage and starts recording in parking mode.
And it works for 24 hours without ignition on!

A very friendly app for both IOS and Android. You can wirelessly connect and download all or selective recordings with tagged details to your phone's local storage.
Thanks for the detailed information and review. I believe the old one also worked on similar principals BUT would stay On for 6 Hours maximum. And you have to take out the SD card to transfer the videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The humble Viofo A119s V2 dashcam model that I have comes with motion detection capability. I'm sure there are other models that have this too.
As others have mentioned, things can get very expensive in case something goes wrong and it's best not to fiddle especially with Electronics if your car is new and under warranty.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-resolved.html (BMW India won't fulfil warranty on dead battery of a 4-month old 730d. EDIT: Now resolved)

If you have gone through this thread, the ultimate fault was connecting wrong wire to Camera and it was BMW camera done by their own dealer Imagine if this would have been an after-market addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A manufacturer-backed & officially installed gadget offers incredible peace of the mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Had this been available at that time I would have gone for this.
Correct, even I would have paid little extra and got this one.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th March 2019 at 10:47. Reason: removing additional spacing
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 22:20   #18
BHPian

Dad got the older model (Perhaps the 1.0?) after someone smashed the X1's windshield with a brick a couple of years back. It was heartbreaking considering we had just gotten it replaced under insurance just a week before.

It works quite well and dual camera setup is optimal, considering the plausibility of a rear-ending in Bombay traffic. The installation was also done quite well.

The only annoyance is that the system gets triggered even for speed breakers. Do we blame the run-flats for this? . Have they fixed this in the 2.0?

Luckily, we haven't had an incident since *Fingers crossed*.

I've been looking at similar options for my car but couldn't find a trustworthy, established brand (Like Anker's ROAV), even in the States.
saur95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 15:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Precisely the reason I went with BMW OEM solution, This has voltage protection and CAN interface to ensure that it is integrated with vehicle electronics.
I take your point not to tamper with original BMW wiring. However regarding features you are mistaken.

Blackvue and Thinkware offer much advance features that BMW advance eye 2.0. Forget delay in start of recording, it also takes care of 5-10 sec before the motion or impact detection.
I also live in high rise (20th floor) with car in basement (Could be same society as yours ) What do you do if there is theft/breakage attempt? For sure they will take away your camera as well. In blackvue and Thinkware you can get instant alert and the video will be uploaded online. There is no wire cutting. You can see the installation in BMW cars on YouTube. Couple of Bhpians with BMW have also installed either one of them. Car Electronics is not touched upon or required.

We have BMW advance eye (earlier version) in our X1 and a Blackvue in Ford Endeavour. No comparison.

Last edited by Wanderers : 4th March 2019 at 16:03.
Wanderers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 16:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
I take your point not to tamper with original BMW wiring. However regarding features you are mistaken.

Blackvue and Thinkware offer much advance features that BMW advance eye 2.0. Forget delay in start of recording, it also takes care of 5-10 sec before the motion or impact detection.
I also live in high rise (20th floor) with car in basement (Could be same society as yours ) What do you do if there is theft/breakage attempt? For sure they will take away your camera as well. In blackvue and Thinkware you can get instant alert and the video will be uploaded online. There is no wire cutting. You can see the installation in BMW cars on YouTube. Couple of Bhpians with BMW have also installed either one of them. Car Electronics is not touched upon or required.

We have BMW advance eye (earlier version) in our X1 and a Blackvue in Ford Endeavour. No comparison.

I agree your solution is superior and works for you. Cheers.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 09:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- The only downside that I see with the system is its cost, Rs. 57000.00. I request BMW to consider including this as part of BMW Secure package at subsidised cost working with car insurer.

When you just look at the price, it does seem steep but that what's you pay for a brand for quality.
It's like viewing a Gopro costing 30k and comparing it with a Chinese camera costing 3k.
If you really want to protect your expensive vehicles then this is the way to go.
I had seen this product in Singapore earlier this year and the cost worked out to about 45k after conversion. I plan to install it in my Endeavour after a few months when the cost may lower slightly.
Today's time are quite tricky and a full time camera is quite useful in your car.
. When there's an accident between a car and bike, it's always the car to be blamed and when there's an accident between two cars, then the high end car (if any) is looked up with suspicion, no matter who's fault. These cameras can prove your innocence.
Also just installing a camera for recording may not help. It should have time and GPS to record and prove that the video is genuine.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 02:07   #22
BHPian

Sadly the quality and resolution on this dashcam are absolute trash. I compared it to a ~Rs 3500 dashcam from 70mai (under Xiaomi), the 70mai Pro and the quality is leaps and bounds ahead, especially auto exposure and x265 recording at 1440p+
nigr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:00   #23
BHPian

Well worth it considering the repair prices of premium cars. I had an incident where someone backed into my bumper at my office parking, which was not covered by CCTV.

It was an expensive fix and my Transcend dashboard camera did not record the incident as the car was parked.

Was this a plug and play install, do you have any pictures of the actual installation?

Last edited by bharatbs : 3rd June 2019 at 10:07.
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:55   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigr View Post
Sadly the quality and resolution on this dashcam are absolute trash. I compared it to a ~Rs 3500 dashcam from 70mai (under Xiaomi), the 70mai Pro and the quality is leaps and bounds ahead, especially auto exposure and x265 recording at 1440p+
Haven't got a chance to check the quality but it's not very intuitive. For some reasons, every time I have to connect my phone manually with the device & also refresh if I have to see the location/ picture from the front/ rear otherwise it will just keep showing old location/ pictures. It gets disconnected on its own as well. And unless the car is in On, it won't get connected with the phone even if it's in the range.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0! Radar-based in-car surveillance system to catch vandals-whatsapp-image-20190603-10.50.07-am.jpeg  

BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0! Radar-based in-car surveillance system to catch vandals-whatsapp-image-20190603-10.50.06-am.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd June 2019 at 10:57.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 01:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Haven't got a chance to check the quality but it's not very intuitive. For some reasons, every time I have to connect my phone manually with the device & also refresh if I have to see the location/ picture from the front/ rear otherwise it will just keep showing old location/ pictures. It gets disconnected on its own as well. And unless the car is in On, it won't get connected with the phone even if it's in the range.
Apart from those issues, there are technical hiccups that BMW just doesn’t have answers to. Annoying popups, incompetent video playback in the app, no ability to export the video clips unless you’re to copy them using the Files app, slow downloads to the device.

About the camera quality, it’s not up to the mark and the focus is available maybe till half a car ahead of the vehicle. If you’re still around in Chandigarh I could show you the 70mai one
nigr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 11:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I got this BMW Advanced Eye 2.0 installed on my 320d about four months ago, and I have a mixed review about it after using it for four months. I echo most of the points shared in this thread.

You can read my mini-review with in this post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4628060

The pros are all as listed in this thread. Being the BMW original accessory and being seamlessly integrated into the car electronics (with hard-wiring done by BWM installer) is the biggest pro.

Quote:
Agree. This is the same thing I experienced. For me, the worse bug is that not only the location, but even the time is not correct unless you manually connect the phone to the dashcam and open the app every time. Only when you do this manually, the time stamp on the video is correct. Otherwise the time is off by 30 minutes (the daschcam resets to either GMT +5 or GMT +6 time zone randomly). This is a very serious bug.

Did anyone else face this issue too? Or is is just me?

Thanks,
-Dr.AD
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 15:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post

You can read my mini-review with in this post:
For me, the worse bug is that not only the location, but even the time is not correct
Did anyone else face this issue too? Or is is just me?
Oh! I thought BMW for sure would have added India time zone (-5:30) in advance eye 2.0 settings. It is ridiculous that BMW advance eye setting only have time zones selection field in multiple of 1 hour. Neither one could set it to automatic (to be captured from GPS) as most of GPS enabled camera reads the time from satellite but strangely not advance eye.
You can't use the video for any evidence.

Last edited by Wanderers : 29th July 2019 at 15:03.
Old 29th July 2019, 16:45   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Oh! I thought BMW for sure would have added India time zone (-5:30) in advance eye 2.0 settings. It is ridiculous that BMW advance eye setting only have time zones selection field in multiple of 1 hour. Neither one could set it to automatic (to be captured from GPS) as most of GPS enabled camera reads the time from satellite but strangely not advance eye.
You can't use the video for any evidence.
Yes, it is very weird. Actually the dashcam does not have any time zones settings at all. It only gets the universal (UTC) time from GPS, and then uses the time zone from your phone to get set the correct time in local zone. This is a very inefficient implementation. Most dashcams, and most GPS devices in general (such as navigation devices) get both the UTC and the time zone information from the GPS coordinates and then get the local time in the correct time zone. BMW for some reason has chosen to use the phone connection for time zone information.

Below is the screenshot of the ACE2.0 manual which clearly states that phone connection is required for time zone:

BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0! Radar-based in-car surveillance system to catch vandals-acetimeset.jpg

Now this was still fine if this was done only once and the device somehow remembered the time zone. Unfortunately, to make the matters worse, the device does not seem to remember the time zone. Every time you have to manually connect the phone for it to get correct local time. Else it just shows the time in either +5 or +6 time zones.

A seriously major flaw in the software implementation of this device!
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 01:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This camera looks much better integrated than the previous generation that I have in my GT.
Quote:
Haven't got a chance to check the quality but it's not very intuitive.
Quote:
I got this BMW Advanced Eye 2.0 installed on my 320d about four months ago
Recently got Advance Car Eye 2.0 installed in my X1.

What is the maximum memory size MicroSD we can install in it?

Came with a 32 GB card which can only do a recording of 2.5 Hrs.

So want to upgrade to maximum supported to enable longer duration of recording.
Old 8th September 2019, 02:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Recently got Advance Car Eye 2.0 installed in my X1.
I have a Samsung 128GB in there, not sure if it supports any larger than that

Quote:
Yes, it is very weird. Actually the dashcam does not have any time zones settings at all. It only gets the universal (UTC) time from GPS, and then uses the time zone from your phone to get set the correct time in local zone. This is a very inefficient implementation. Most dashcams, and most GPS devices in general (such as navigation devices) get both the UTC and the time zone information from the GPS coordinates and then get the local time in the correct time zone. BMW for some reason has chosen to use the phone connection for time zone information.

Below is the screenshot of the ACE2.0 manual which clearly states that phone connection is required for time zone:

Attachment 1900089

Now this was still fine if this was done only once and the device somehow remembered the time zone. Unfortunately, to make the matters worse, the device does not seem to remember the time zone. Every time you have to manually connect the phone for it to get correct local time. Else it just shows the time in either +5 or +6 time zones.

A seriously major flaw in the software implementation of this device!
BMW India doesn’t even provide assistance with the software. I regret wasting money on this, I should’ve gone for the Blackvue 4K dashcam.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th September 2019 at 16:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
nigr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks