Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2007, 19:40   #166
BHPian

Bike is looking awesome!
Old 9th September 2007, 00:15   #167
BHPian

WOW!!
Bike looks gr8.

Whats with the single mirror? I would say get rid of mirrors.
Old 9th September 2007, 00:36   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats with the single mirror? I would say get rid of mirrors.
Actually its a bit dangerous to ride without rear-view mirrors. So we decided to put a single mirror to go with the Cafe Racer look. We delibrately put it on the left side. Comfortable with it, since the riding stance is such that you can see the left side and a fair bit of the right too.

And ironically, no one overtakes from the right, everyone overtakes from the left (so the LHS mirror).
Old 9th September 2007, 10:57   #169
BHPian

gordon-thats one of the most beautifully restored bike i've ever seen,in the same lines of edmunds 800,congrats dude.
Old 9th September 2007, 13:13   #170
BHPian

Hey Gordon,

Superlative job. I liked the way you thought through the entire process. Now some performance mods to match the looks!

Dimali
Old 11th September 2007, 15:39   #171
Senior - BHPian

Have rotated the rear footpegs towards the front as of now. The riding stance seems to be good.
Butttt I have already encountered a number of problems:
  • Side Stand:
    Cannot access the side stand since the footpeg is in the way.

• Gearbox Linkage:
    The hole diameter of the Hero Honda CBZ footpegs (posted earlier) is way too small. Where can I get one that would fit the Bullet?!

• Direct Gearbox Lever:
    It is possible to use a direct lever to the gearbox, but it will mean reversing the shifting process (1-down-4-up to 1-up-4-down). I'm trying my best to avoid this.

Will post the pics tomorrow.

Last edited by Gordon : 11th September 2007 at 15:41.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:26   #172
BHPian

For the side stand you can try this

For footpegs and gear lever linkage you could get in touch with Vardenchi, the guys who customise Bullets and they just might have a solution. Just google vardenchi and you'll get their website and contact nos. Since you have rearsets in mind, you will not need the heel-toe shift lever.

Best

Dimali
Old 11th September 2007, 17:20   #173
Senior - BHPian

Yes. A couple of days back, I was riding along when Akshai Varde (Vardenchi head) himself stopped me, said he was impressed with the work on the bike and offered to help me out with the rearset. I said I'd get back to him in case I need any help.

P.S. He too is working on a cafe racer at the moment.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Will post the pics tomorrow.
Here they are:

The footpeg has been rotated and lowered, to avoid the brake linkage. The current position of the footpeg is quite comfortable.

The footpeg is now in the way of the side stand. Very difficult to access it. When you're on the bike, its impossible.

What is this part called?! Will go hunting for it tomorrow. Have another idea in mind if I don't get it.

Old 20th September 2007, 11:11   #175
Senior - BHPian

A reminder.
No replies?! Wonder where all the techincal guys have gone?!

I got the name a day after my last post. Its called "Gear Lever Cam". I need this cam for the gear lever linkage. The linkages seem to be in order EXCEPT for this component. Believe me, if I get this one component, the linkages will be on sooner.
  • Could anyone please tell me what size would fit?!
  • Which other bike's cam could fit?! (no matter where its attached, I can cut and weld it to my own linkage)
  • Where I can source them from?!
I do not want to fabricate a new one, since these SHOULD actually be available easily. Problem is they aren't
Added another pic for a clear understanding.

It should fit here:
Old 22nd September 2007, 21:22   #176
Senior - BHPian

Updates :
  • The design for the logo / monogram have been finalised and should be ready by Wednesday/Thursday.
  • Front fork reflectors should be fitted by Monday.
  • Thinking of a few more things for the "actual" Cafe Racer look, but will reveal only once we start working on it. Have taken an estimate from the fabricator, but he's charging a bomb for it. So we've decided to make the stuff on our own. Lets see how things turn out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Yes. A couple of days back, I was riding along when Akshai Varde (Vardenchi head) himself stopped me, said he was impressed with the work on the bike and offered to help me out with the rearset. I said I'd get back to him in case I need any help.

P.S. He too is working on a cafe racer at the moment.
Here's the Vardenchi Cafe Racer. Although it looks the part, there are some places where the work could have been done better. The handlebar could have been a clubman type, there could have been a better looking tool-box instead of the cover. Also the quality of the work wasnt very impressive. May be possible that the bike isnt complete yet.

Old 22nd September 2007, 23:30   #177
BHPian

hey gordy... though i am not at all into bikes, but this project got me really interested in the final outcome..
that is some really awesome work that you guys have done !
The bike shows what kind of hard work, patience, money, love that you have put in !!
keep up the good work !
Old 23rd September 2007, 00:15   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Here's the Vardenchi Cafe Racer.
I can see lot of rust all over. Doesn't look well maintained to me. Nice design though.
Old 24th September 2007, 00:32   #179
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much hkanitkar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78
Doesn't look well maintained to me. Nice design though.
Yes, you're right. Its a good attempt. I'm not impressed with the work on that bike. The handlebar/tank/indicators/rearsets/side cover/rear mudguard are not up to the mark. The quality levels are quite low. Could do better.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:10   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The design for the logo / monogram have been finalised and should be ready by Wednesday/Thursday.
The logo is ready and will be fitted on the rear cowl. The Machismo sticker from the side boxes will be removed once this is done and will have a golden bordering on the edges.

Quote:
Thinking of a few more things for the "actual" Cafe Racer look, but will reveal only once we start working on it. Have taken an estimate from the fabricator, but he's charging a bomb for it. So we've decided to make the stuff on our own. Lets see how things turn out.
Ok the thing that's planned is a rear cowl. Would look something like the below photoshopped pic. The new name will be stuck on either sides of this cowl. The cowl is gonna be a removable one. Not sure how it'll be done, but we're gonna do it. The cowl work would be starting tomorrow. Will post pics as we progress. Suggestions are welcome :

Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial Progress: V12's Cafe Racer Project! Updated pics!-rearcowl.jpg  

Last edited by Gordon : 30th September 2007 at 21:24.

Most Viewed